Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

This is the first time I've heard of this, but it looks amazing.

I love fps games and think I'll have to pick this up over the weekend.

Hopefully it runs okay on my machine, that's a real killer for me.

I'll join the boards groups when I get it up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    This is the first time I've heard of this, but it looks amazing.

I love fps games and think I'll have to pick this up over the weekend.

Hopefully it runs okay on my machine, that's a real killer for me.

I'll join the boards groups when I get it up and running.

Definitely get it. Most fun I've had in a long time.

The only complaint I'll level at the game is that it can be obvious when one team simply won't win ie they're down to one base but it can take an absolute age for the enemy to finish them off. I can't help but think some sort of timer at this point would help finish things up quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Definitely get it. Most fun I've had in a long time.

The only complaint I'll level at the game is that it can be obvious when one team simply won't win ie they're down to one base but it can take an absolute age for the enemy to finish them off. I can't help but think some sort of timer at this point would help finish things up quicker.

Completely agree. There needs to be a in game voting system implemented for this and kicking afk's. As marine you can sell the infantry portals to end the game quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Is there a way to stop it refreshing server list ?

Like when you see a decent server scroll by..or do you need to wait for the whole thing to refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Is there a way to stop it refreshing server list ?

Like when you see a decent server scroll by..or do you need to wait for the whole thing to refresh

Filter out the empty and full, server percentage 90+ and max ping 100 should refresh much more slowly, easier to pick a server

Other random stuff

As alien
    -Turn on flashlight (F) for predator vision, an absolute must
    -Parasite a marine using (2), knocks off enough health you can kill him in two bites
    -If lost, go with other skulks, hunting in packs is best.
    -As a skulk, the key is to get in close to the marines, once in close, stay at their ankles, circling and aim the bites. Once you get the hang of this, it's addictive. Jumping off walls gives a nice speed boost.
    -Gorges are support creatures, healing, spitting from a distance, glooping up entrances
    -Lerks are support until you get handy enough, then try fly-bys biting marines
    -Fades are blink in, hit, blink out. They are not strong units, so don't hang around. Once you get the hang of it, you can stay in among the marines for longer, blinking around also causes them to run out of ammo quick
    -Onos are big but not invincible, ask the alien commander for "stomp" as soon as the 3rd hive is done, then you can stun all the marines and gore them on the ground
    -Jump in as alien commander, try it out, if you don't know what to do, then start dropping cysts all the way to resource nodes and drop resource collectors on them (helps everyone get lots of res for lifeforms)

As marine
    -Stay in groups of two, if one builds, then the other checks those corners.
    -Short controlled bursts, seriously.
    -Unless you have flame thrower or grenades, use the knife to kill structures, its surprisingly fast and doesn't cost ammo
    -Keep an eye on main base, aliens often try skulk rushes to cut the power man
    -Whatever you're doing, do it fast, have to keep pressure on the alien team.

As marine commander
    -Don't be afraid of the darkness, order marines out of the base, if in doubt capture resource nodes, push out. A turtling commander hands too much breathing space to the aliens. Time is an important resource. The longer the aliens have, the more powerful they get.
    -If you have a microphone, use it, tell the marines you are new, and they should help you. Stay calm, don't get angry, it's psychological, once you "earn" their respect then the marines are more responsive, I managed to get a team of useless aimers to do 4 separate hive rushes with no upgrades or fancy weapons, in each case everyone went and we took down the hive 4 times (still lost though)

-If you have no idea what do, try these simple examples

--1 armory, 2nd infantry portal, observatory, research phase gates, drop phase gates to take over the map

--1 armory, 2nd infantry portal, arms lab, upgrade armor 1 first, then get weapons upgrades after that, unlock shotguns at the armory, kill alien resource nodes and shotgun rush hives

--1 armory, 2nd infantry portal, get to an untaken hive location, secure it, drop turrets, and move onto the next.

--Check unknownworlds forum for nice tutorials and commanding guides

Stingerbar any idea how I'd go about finding a team for this game? I'm already sick of playing public. Nothing annoys me more than a ****ty commander. Some guy dropped a robo at the start so he could build MAC's, so he could build and repair. I tried to explain in as polite a manner as I could that that is a complete waste at the very start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The single worst thing i see on Marine play is they grab a number of Exo's and fail to assign welders to it, 3 skulks can destroy them in a few minutes and then people whine.

Stev_o wrote: »
    The single worst thing i see on Marine play is they grab a number of Exo's and fail to assign welders to it, 3 skulks can destroy them in a few minutes and then people whine.

Or exos just going off on their own thinking they're rambo

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Grimebox wrote: »
    Stingerbar any idea how I'd go about finding a team for this game? I'm already sick of playing public. Nothing annoys me more than a ****ty commander. Some guy dropped a robo at the start so he could build MAC's, so he could build and repair. I tried to explain in as polite a manner as I could that that is a complete waste at the very start.

They have "gathers" from MIRC, not sure with channel, but probbably its guys from the ESL league, so standards are very high. Otherwise join a named server, I have had several decent public games because there was a good crowd on a particular clan server, all on comms, nice level of teamplay. In the old game I just used to add these to favorites - not sure if we can do this in the new game.
    Or you can go to the unknownworld forums and check the clan subforum.
    So far my games have had no crap commanders surprisingly, all have either been competant to very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

did I read correctly that theres an alien commander now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Am getting more and more tempted to pick this up!

Wossack wrote: »

Yeah, dubbed the Khaamander. Frankly I don't enjoy being an alien commander whatsoever. Slow moving marines are easier to direct than speedy skulks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Wossack wrote: »

There is

Stingerbar wrote: »
    They have "gathers" from MIRC, not sure with channel, but probbably its guys from the ESL league, so standards are very high. Otherwise join a named server, I have had several decent public games because there was a good crowd on a particular clan server, all on comms, nice level of teamplay. In the old game I just used to add these to favorites - not sure if we can do this in the new game.
    Or you can go to the unknownworld forums and check the clan subforum.
    So far my games have had no crap commanders surprisingly, all have either been competant to very good

Those gathers sound like the way to go. Don't care if the standard is high, that's the best way to get better! I have being trying to stick to non-official servers as you get more experienced players who actually have mics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

Picked it up at the weekend, its great :)

Really love the new gorge stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement