Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is what gets cyclists a bad name

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It wasn't a non incident though. It was a silly move made by three cyclists that could have had more serious circumstances had the OP not been paying attention

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MugMugs wrote: »
    ...... had the OP not been paying attention
    I realise that I'm speculating now but leaving aside the error by the cyclists, it would appear that the OP may have initially proceeded on a green light even though his/her way was not clear- i.e. he/she may not have been paying attention.

(I'm assuming the cyclists moved into the junction to take a right (Sutton side ascent) while waiting for the traffic coming from SuperValu side to pass. The lights changed and they got 'caught' in the intersection and traffic from their right (Sutton side) got the green light).

One of the fundamental aspects of good driving is correct reaction to hazards presented. If that had been a driving test, the examiner would have judged the examinee on his/her reaction to the incident, not who was in error.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

I realise that I'm speculating now but leaving aside the error by the cyclists, it would appear that the OP may have initially proceeded on a green light even though his/her way was not clear- i.e. he/she may not have been paying attention.

(I'm assuming the cyclists moved into the junction to take a right (Sutton side ascent) while waiting for the traffic coming from SuperValu side to pass. The lights changed and they got 'caught' in the intersection and traffic from their right (Sutton side) got the green light).

One of the fundamental aspects of good driving is correct reaction to hazards presented. If that had been a driving test, the examiner would have judged the examinee on his/her reaction to the incident, not who was in error.

Why are you speculating?

There's a video of the incident. Watch it.

It's clear the cyclists were in the wrong and the driver acted correctly, no resit of their driving test required.

It might be an idea for cyclists to be licenced before using busy roads though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..There's a video of the incident. Watch it....
    No need to be a smart arse! From what is presented, the OP proceeds through a green light light even though his/her way is not clear. An extra few seconds earlier would be useful but it may have suited the OP not to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched the start of that video in 1080p and full screen a few times.

The cyclist in the back shirt seems to be separate from the other two and seemed to have stopped before they got there. Seems distracted too.

This appears to be the view which that cyclist can see url]https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.389424,-6.110537,3a,75y,46.09h,76.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjJXAnk2OSYs_WCT8GgZ7QQ!2e0[/url

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Why is the video 1.06 minutes long? Waste of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    At the end of the day nothing is to be gained by knocking down a cyclist...

...End of debate.

Oh, I don't know about that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

No need to be a smart arse! From what is presented, the OP proceeds through a green light light even though his/her way is not clear. An extra few seconds earlier would be useful but it may have suited the OP not to show it.

I think you're the one trying to be clever by suggesting there's some doubt about what actually occurred. You see what the driver saw so either you agree with their actions or you don't. No need to be a 'smart arse', as you put it, by speculating about something which is evidenced in a video.(I love dash cams)

I hope you're not a motorist because if you think the driver proceeded when their way wasn't clear then you would be a hazard on the road as much as cyclists who recklessly attempt to force right of way at junctions, like we see in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

I believe the only time that particular set of lights allow for those cyclists to complete their intended turn is on a filter. Therefore if they legally moved into the position they were in, they had a green filter light, and there should be no way they could have gotten 'caught'.

It's been a while since I've been through the junction though, so perhaps the filter has been removed.

Either way, if they legally moved into the position they are in, then they have the right to proceed with their manoeuvre even after the lights change, as they are beyond the relevant stop line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think you're the one trying to be clever by suggesting there's some doubt about what actually occurred.

There are no facts, only interpretations*.

WB has a point here, although I am not sure if I can agree.

*Nietzsche

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Been through the junction a handful of times. The cyclists' filter to turn right appears at the start of the cycle of green for their side. If its their first time on the junction then you could understand hesitation at the lights but nothing really excuses them for being so far out and blocking the junction.

You can only hope the cyclists' in the video, perhaps those that have watched it here too, will be a little more aware of their positioning when stopped at a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Wow! I'm shocked.

Sunny, warm, leafy and lots of cyclists- Dublin looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It might be an idea for cyclists to be licenced before using busy roads though.:)

83% of cyclists already hold a driving licence (according to the rsa). Not condoning the behaviour - you could argue it's worse given there's a high chance they've passed a driving test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    83% of cyclists already hold a driving licence (according to the rsa). Not condoning the behaviour - you could argue it's worse given there's a high chance they've passed a driving test

Where did that figure come from?, can you tell me please?
    How would they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Where did that figure come from?, can you tell me please?
    How would they know?

They know everything!
    RSA = Right Smart Asses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Given that I see licensed, insured, tested and taxed drivers breaking the law and driving dangerously every day (speeding, breaking red lights, driving with phone in hand etc etc), I'm always a bit surprised when others suggest that licensing/taxing/insuring/testing of cyclists might be expected to improve compliance?
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    If its their first time on the junction then you could understand hesitation at the lights but nothing really excuses them for being so far out and blocking the junction.
    I don't know the junction at all, but I'm a bit confused by the suggestion that cyclists are 'blocking traffic'. Cyclists ARE traffic. If an oncoming car had moved through the junction in the same way as the cyclists and stopped in the same position, would we be moaning about the car blocking traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

RainyDay wrote: »
    I don't know the junction at all, but I'm a bit confused by the suggestion that cyclists are 'blocking traffic'. Cyclists ARE traffic. If an oncoming car had moved through the junction in the same way as the cyclists and stopped in the same position, would we be moaning about the car blocking traffic?

I would...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I thought we were going to be treated to images of a group of cyclists ducking under the barriers at the level crossing and within a second of a passing DART.

I was somewhat disappointed that the clip related to a relatively mundane non-incident at Sutton Cross. :(
    exactly. if you wanted to start a sturm und drang thread about the bad behaviour of cyclists, this video is a damp squib to use to start one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Seems to me that the OP did exactly the right thing. He only proceeded when it was safe to do so. In fact he stopped and waited until the cyclists were stationary with a foot down and the drove carefully around them, having been waved on. At no time did the OP drive at any execessive speed or in manner that could be deemed aggressive.

I go through that junction every now and again. It's not difficult. There is a right turn filter which , if memory serves, activates before the straight ahead green. It does appear to me that the cyclists didn't make it through with the filter. What seems odd is that they continue to enter the junction when there is a car turning left (from the direction of the OP). At that stage the cyclists would have had a red against them for a least a few seconds. It doesn't seem a sensible manoeuvre (to me at least) to continue out further onto the junction. At best they are making a brave assumption that the OP was facing a left only filter and not a green that would allow straight through traffic directly across their path.

Advertisement