Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryder Cup - Wildcard Picks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

McGinley has got it spot on. People totally underestimating what Westwood can bring to the table. It's not like his form has been diabolical, he has been inconsistent but if anyone can rise to the occasion it is Lee. Yes it's tough on Donald, but one of Westwood/Donald had to miss out as Poulter was a shoe in and Gallagher made it impossible for Paul not to pick him after weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

Any word on if they will announce any more Vice Captains today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Donald hasn't been inside the Top 35 in his last 8 tournaments. Westwood's form while not up to his usual standard has been ok, especially in some of the bigger tournaments. Remember he shot 63 on the final day of thw WGC and was well up there in the USPGA.

That's hardly woefully out of form.

His last 6 tounaments dont show me a man in good form. Take the 63 out of the WGC and the Good first round at the PGA and it looks much worse.

6/08/14 FedEx St. Jude Classic CUT
    6/15/14 U.S. Open CUT
    7/20/14 The Open Championship CUT
    8/03/14 World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational T19
    8/10/14 PGA Championship T15
    8/24/14 The Barclays T57

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Rikand wrote: »
    was gonna tune into sky sports but work got busy.

Not happy with westwood over donald but I guess it was pretty obvious westy was getting the pick when he didnt go to Italy to try and get some form.

Oh well, at least he's picked Gallagher and Poults.

Probably fels garcia and mcilroy could be the pairing of choice rather than Garcia and Donald

Hadnt thought of those two before. Could be a good match & would give McGinley a viable alternative to McIlroy / McDowell. Although I would think that you would need a rock solid putter to be paired with Garcia.
    Garcia / McDowell? McIlroy / Donaldson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Brewster wrote: »
    McGinley has got it spot on. People totally underestimating what Westwood can bring to the table. It's not like his form has been diabolical, he has been inconsistent but if anyone can rise to the occasion it is Lee. Yes it's tough on Donald, but one of Westwood/Donald had to miss out as Poulter was a shoe in and Gallagher made it impossible for Paul not to pick him after weekend.

You have some aregument with the opening observations. But he next bit does not make sense at all to me. Lee has never risen to the occasion. His record throughout his career, despite it being a fine record, is that come the crunch he goes missing more often than upping his game. He is weaker version of Monty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Westwood is longer off the tee
    Westwood is better with an iron in his hand
    Westwood has at last shown the form to lead tournaments this year

Gallacher career singles record in matchplay (Eurasia Cup, WGC, Royal Trophy, Seve Trophy, Volvo) played 7, lost 7.
    No need to panic. None of those were played in Gleneagles, where he is bleedin' rapid:cool:

Gallacher career singles record in matchplay (Eurasia Cup, WGC, Royal Trophy, Seve Trophy, Volvo) played 7, lost 7.
    No need to panic. None of those were played in Gleneagles, where he is bleedin' rapid:cool:

Well he is from 50 miles down the road, which according to uncle Bernard is a factor. We all know golf scores are proportional to how far you are from home. So he'll be all right then. Doesnt look good for the yanks being an ocean away from home.

35 miles:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

vienne86 wrote: »
    Groan....I hope you're wrong!

I hate being right! Wouldve been nice to see a newbie in there like illonen, weisberger or lowry but in fairness to Mcginley, experience can definitely help. thats probably why he wanted westwood and pulter in there. he wouldve lost some respect by not picking Gallagher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Very strong European team. Should win handily - 17-11 I predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 coopdloop

Donald

Year Events Played 1st 2nd 3rd 4th-10th MC Year End Rank
    2014 20 - 1 1 2 4

Westwood
    Year Events Played 1st 2nd 3rd 4th-10th MC Year End Rank
    2014 20 1 - - 2 7

Westwood top 10 and wins came back in 5 week stretch back in April-May

Like everything Paul had his picks in mind and talk about hunger and trying to get in the team as crap.

If you don't make the top 9 you don't have any complaints if not picked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

35 miles:pac:

And a good record after he gets there. Gallacher was a no brainer really. I was expecting Donald ahead of Westwood but it was virtually a toss up and I'll give McGinley and his vices the benefit of the doubt on the basis they have probably thought about it more than me.

Och Aye re: Galllacher. Aye.
    it will be interesting now to see who he will pair Gacia up with in the foursomes. Que?
    And will Westwood even play in the foursomes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Rikand wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're too familiar with the Ryder Cup but there are other formats other than fourball.

Luke Donald Foursomes record

6-2-0 ( 6 wins, 2 losses ) - It's not all about length

Luke Donald Fourball record

1-1-1 ( 1 win, 1 loss, 1 half ) - not bad for someone who isn't long enough

Luke Donald Singles record

3-1-0 ( 3 wins, 1 loss ) 3 wins.... Again, not bad for a short guy

Not good enough for this year
    Glad he picked Westwood Poulter and Gallagher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

If you were to base the selection on the number of world ranking points gained this year the there is no disputing that Poulter should have been the one to miss out.

Points gained in 2014

Gallacher 140.15
    Donald 98.40
    Westwood 95.80

Poulter 42.18

Quite a gap when all things are considered. We all know why Poulter has been picked and how hard it would be to leave him out, but the argument for Donald/Westwood was also based around what they had done previously as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

coopdloop wrote: »

If you don't make the top 9 you don't have any complaints if not picked

That's spot on. Good team for Europe. USA will be underdogs, which makes me nervous. Can't wait for it all to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

The best thing about the Ryder Cup is you never know what is going to happen. When it comes to matchplay form goes out the window. Which side can gain the momentum, and who are the biggest players to step up to put a bit of blue (or red) on the board. US will be no pushovers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    The best thing about the Ryder Cup is you never know what is going to happen. When it comes to matchplay form goes out the window. Which side can gain the momentum, and who are the biggest players to step up to put a bit of blue (or red) on the board. US will be no pushovers...

Eh, no form does not go out of the window......how do you work that out??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think the teams are pretty evenly matched except rory who the americans couldnt compete with if hes on form

DiegoWorst wrote: »

The Ryder Cup is not much to do with form. These are all among the best .001% of golfers on the planet and anyone is capable of beating anyone else. It has a lot more to do with how they respond to pressure and - let's be honest - a bit of luck here and there.

The picks are quite rightly based on a mix of track record and who has earned it. All three picks are justified by one or other criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Disappointed for Harrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

I can't understand the support for Donald in here over Westwood.

Westwood is in much better form. Period. A few top 20's in BIG tournaments where Donald has been plodding along since the BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,422 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jazzzman wrote: »

Westwood is in much better form. Period. A few top 20's in BIG tournaments where Donald has been plodding along since the BMW.

Ryder Cup record is the main point for me. What he brings in Singles and Foursomes is exemplary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

to be fair, neither have done much. Donald is above westwood on the world points list and ranked 30 to his 38 in world rankings.

Westwood hasnt had a top 5 this year on the PGA tour, hasn't been in contention for any tournament this year, coming into the back 9. Donald not much better, but contended at wentworth and a couple of other tourneys.

Neither are in form, so understand why they went with westy. Smart thing would have been to blood luiten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just reading some random stats, Poulter has never made the cut at Gleneagles, Gallagher has never won a match play match and Donald has the 3rd best winning percentage of all time in the RC at 70%....don't know what to think about the Poults one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I think Poulter is unquestionable when it comes to Ryder Cup. He turns into a different player, stats go out the window.

His experience of going down the stretch in tough matches is remarkable and I cant imagine for even one second that McGinley wouldnt have picked him, no matter what his form is like.

I wonder do Westwood and Bjorn get on after the 2006 WC picks fallout.
    Im sure they do get on. Ditto Bjorn and Des Smyth. As Smyth recommended Westwood over Bjorn in '06. Id imagine he also recommended him again.

pelevin wrote: »
    Disappointed for Harrington.

:D

Very difficult to see how he was left out. A lot of the British press apoplectic about his omission and really gunning for McGinley now. If they lose he will be really vilified for not picking a proven world class winner, with a great Ryder Cup pedigree, and clearly in the form of his life. Truly baffling decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I wonder do Westwood and Bjorn get on after the 2006 WC picks fallout.
    Im sure they do get on. Ditto Bjorn and Des Smyth. As Smyth recommended Westwood over Bjorn in '06. Id imagine he also recommended him again.

Don't know a lot about this, but it seems braindead to have a falling out with the guy who gets picked ahead of you.
    So Donald could fall out with Westwood/Gallacher over this? Ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I would have had

Gallagher
    Poulter
    Tones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »
    I would have had

Gallagher
    Poulter
    Tones

I would have gone.

Harrington
    Langer
    And Christy O'connor with just a 2 iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'll be honest.

A big disappointment that there is nobody from south on team.

When I watch all sport . It is the tricolour I'm into.

Know people view golf in a different way.....
    But that is just me.

D'Arcy
    O'connor
    Mcginely (as player)
    Walton
    Harrington
    Smyth

Reading about above at moment a nd loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Keegan Bradley is the first pick. American announcement is a bit drawn out so far

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

baboo800 wrote: »
    Keegan Bradley is the first pick. American announcement is a bit drawn out so far

What channel is it on?
    edit. Found it SS1

Watson picks bradley, mahan and.......

Copped out

Went for simpson

Kirk was definitely the play

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

jaysus almighty the americans are long winded.

as for webb simpson? um a senior moment on tom watson's part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus, I've went from - having tickets for this since last September to now having zero interest in it. Probably bought the tickets out of pure excitement last year when I got lucky through the ballot.

Has anyone else lost interest in the Ryder Cup? As good as Medinah was (will never be trumped), I can't get as pumped for this. The line-up is poor. As well as that, it's about 1/50 that players like McIlroy, Mickelson etc. don't care about it, same goes for Woods.

sunbabe08 wrote: »

He needed someone to play with Bubba and Simpson has both done it sucessfully and remained sane. Neither is easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jesus, I've went from - having tickets for this since last September to now having zero interest in it. Probably bought the tickets out of pure excitement last year when I got lucky through the ballot.

Has anyone else lost interest in the Ryder Cup? As good as Medinah was (will never be trumped), I can't get as pumped for this. The line-up is poor. As well as that, it's about 1/50 that players like McIlroy, Mickelson etc. don't care about it, same goes for Woods.

i would buy off you in a heartbeat if it wasn't for college. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Such a bizarre post.

The line-up is poor? Bar Tiger not being there, how on earth is it poor?

I know Rory said the RC was an exhibition before he'd ever played in it, but he took those comments back and he seemed to be highly invested in it last time out. Same goes for Phil. His partnership with Keegan Bradley was pretty epic and his matchplay against Rose was one of the best matches of the day.

I'd say you're pretty much alone in having 'lost interest in the Ryder Cup'.

PM me if your looking to sell them. I'll buy them off you at face value. I would love to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

First Up wrote: »
    He needed someone to play with Bubba and Simpson has both done it sucessfully and remained sane. Neither is easy.

That's what RTE said this morning, and I would say it is right. Bubba must be an awful prat to play with. And as for losing interest in the Ryder Cup, as another poster suggested......NO WAY! I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Such a bizarre post.

The line-up is poor? Bar Tiger not being there, how on earth is it poor?

I know Rory said the RC was an exhibition before he'd ever played in it, but he took those comments back and he seemed to be highly invested in it last time out. Same goes for Phil. His partnership with Keegan Bradley was pretty epic and his matchplay against Rose was one of the best matches of the day.

I'd say you're pretty much alone in having 'lost interest in the Ryder Cup'.

Fair enough
    PM me if your looking to sell them. I'll buy them off you at face value. I would love to be there.

Already passed them on, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

First Up wrote: »

Great comment.

vienne86 wrote: »
    That's what RTE said this morning, and I would say it is right. Bubba must be an awful prat to play with. And as for losing interest in the Ryder Cup, as another poster suggested......NO WAY! I can't wait.

Bubba is an awful prat to not play with too.

I'll be honest.

A big disappointment that there is nobody from south on team.

When I watch all sport . It is the tricolour I'm into.

Know people view golf in a different way.....
    But that is just me.

D'Arcy
    O'connor
    Mcginely (as player)
    Walton
    Harrington
    Smyth

Reading about above at moment a nd loving it.

Very significant tri-colour right at the top of this list. In fact, it's the one that matters most!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Ryder_Cup#Players

sunbabe08 wrote: »

“After struggling with a couple of different players, who was going to be the best for the team, I had a revelation this morning,” the 64-year-old said. “I looked at the last time the Ryder Cup was played and I see Webb Simpson 5&4, Webb Simpson 5&4 and I said ‘that’s got to be the guy’.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/tom-watson-goes-for-bradley-simpson-and-mahan-as-his-wild-cards-1.1916357
    He only looked it up the morning of the announcement? That can not be true. Anyone see the press conference? Was he having a laugh when he said that?

Webb Simpson for Bubba was a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

There are tickets still available on rydercup site to best of my knowledge, certainly tickets for Fridays play and some season tickets were on sale yesterday.

Advertisement