Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encryption

Options
  • 02-09-2014 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm interested in reading a bti more about the maths how encryption works and was wondering if you could point me in the direction of any books or journals?

EC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

ec18 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm interested in reading a bti more about the maths how encryption works and was wondering if you could point me in the direction of any books or journals?

EC

Hi there.

Are you looking for a general public sort of text book or are you looking for a "proper" maths book?

I should be able to find out the names of some books for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

If you're interested in a good general (and very readable) book on Codes, code-breaking, encryption, etc, then I'd recommend Simon Singh's The Code Book

As for the pure mathematics, that's a weighty topic and can range widely depending on which cryptographic system you want to explore and how deeply?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

TheBody wrote: »
    Hi there.

Are you looking for a general public sort of text book or are you looking for a "proper" maths book?

I should be able to find out the names of some books for you.

A little bit of both....I don't know much beyond a vague idea. I'd like to see some of the proper Maths behind it,
    Naz_st wrote: »
    If you're interested in a good general (and very readable) book on Codes, code-breaking, encryption, etc, then I'd recommend Simon Singh's The Code Book

As for the pure mathematics, that's a weighty topic and can range widely depending on which cryptographic system you want to explore and how deeply?

Thanks for the recommendation. That looks like a good starting point. I don't have a particular system in mind as of yet but i would like to explore some of the complexity of the pure mathematics

Can you give us an idea of your background in maths? What level have you studied maths to?

Can you give us an idea of your background in maths? What level have you studied maths to?

I've a Bsc in physics and computer science. So third level would be the highest mainly with PDE's and on the experimental side as opposed to theoretical.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    I've a Bsc in physics and computer science. So third level would be the highest mainly with PDE's and on the experimental side as opposed to theoretical.

Ah so you have a decent level. I know very little about Encryption but I'll ask some of my colleagues for the names of some books for you. I'll see if I can find them out today.

Ah so you have a decent level. I know very little about Encryption but I'll ask some of my colleagues for the names of some books for you. I'll see if I can find them out today.

That's great thanks :) yeah I'd have a decent level but probably a bit rusty ;)

So my buddy got back to me. He recommended:

koblitz: a course in number theory and cryptography

Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=koblitz%3A+a+course+in+number+theory+and+cryptography

Thats great thanks a mill guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

If you did a degree in CS then you have a copy of CLRS? There is a nice section in it on RSA cryptosystem towards the end.

• Advertisement

no....computer science could have been the minor part of my degree

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I was going to start a thread, but since this is hear, there's not much point. I'm in the process of improving my Mathematics background and I have a Degree in Software Engineering.

I'm wondering what are peoples thoughts on the Maths behind Cryptography? I may be spending more time around here and I'm looking at Elliptic Curve Cryptography at the moment.

Itzy wrote: »
    I was going to start a thread, but since this is hear, there's not much point. I'm in the process of improving my Mathematics background and I have a Degree in Software Engineering.

I'm wondering what are peoples thoughts on the Maths behind Cryptography? I may be spending more time around here and I'm looking at Elliptic Curve Cryptography at the moment.

It's not clear what you are asking for. Do you mean what is the needed background or something else?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

What I am after really, is where to find good resource of Cryptography and associated Mathematics. I have a good solid background in Mathematics as I have an engineering degree.

What I am after really, is where to find good resource of Cryptography and associated Mathematics. I have a good solid background in Mathematics as I have an engineering degree.

I don't think that would be sufficient since you would presumably not have covered group theory nor number theory. But if you are only interested in the cryptography side of things then you could scrape by by learning sort of the bare minimum to understand things.

You could pick up any relatively basic book on elliptic curves, figure out what an elliptic is, what the group law on it is and how you can do reduction on a curve.

As for books possibly the handbook of elliptic and hyperelliptic curve cryptography by Henri Darmon et al or for the theory side of things possibly Washington's book on elliptic curves and cryptography, but it depends on your level, you would probably have to look in a library and find one that suits you I guess.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    I don't think that would be sufficient since you would presumably not have covered group theory nor number theory. But if you are only interested in the cryptography side of things then you could scrape by by learning sort of the bare minimum to understand things...

Well I'd be interested going one step future than just number and group theory if you have any other suggestions as to what I should read up on.

Well I'd be interested going one step future than just number and group theory if you have any other suggestions as to what I should read up on.

Group theory and number theory is enough, you should note that there is a fair bit there to learn if you have not done it before. For some of the more advanced stuff you would need to know some algebraic geometry, but this is probably overkill.

Well I've started to delve deeper into Number and Group Theory. I suppose Algebra Geometry would be overkill but I'll certainly look into it also. Thanks for the suggestions.

Advertisement