Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Gi Stand up Wrestling tournament

Options
  • 20-08-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Stand up wrestling tournament

Otherwise known as 'Tui Shou' (pushing hands), our format is a freestyle wrestling match where your objective is to down your opponent or throw them out of the area without touching down yourself.

Here is an example of a match:

Sunday the 7th of September

The Donnycarney Community & Youth Centre, Collins Ave East, Donnycarney, D5

See the map here: - http://dcyc.co/index.php/contact/
    GPS : 53.374633, -6.218096

There are divisions for Adult, Teens and Children

Event Time line

Weigh ins are on the day of the event.
    Juniors
    9.AM - sign in and weigh ins.
    9.30 AM - weigh in closes. No exceptions will be made!!
    10 AM - FIRST JUNIOR MATCHES

Seniors
    11.00 AM - sign in and weigh ins.
    11.30 AM – weigh in closes. No exceptions will be made!!
    12.00 AM - FIRST SENIOR MATCHES

If you are interested in registering, email us at icbasanshou@gmail.com

We look forward to seeing you on the mats!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭paul moran

Here are the rules for this wrestling format. Any takers?

ICBA Tuishou Rules:

AREA: Match to be held on matted area no smaller than 4m X 4m and no larger than 6m x 6m.

TIME: A single round of 2 minutes. Clock stopped when score achieved, opponents circle at centre of area and clock restarted when ref calls start. (in effect expect round to last 4-5 minutes)

STARTING POSITIONS: Opponents to meet at centre of area, extend a single arm and connect with forearms. With the right arms connected the opponents to walk in a clockwise direction, with the left arms connected, counter-clockwise, until the ref calls start. Directions alternate for each start.

SCORES:
    1 point for pushing opponent out of area, opponent must be fully out, and player remain in area fully and upright to score.
    2 points for causing opponent to half fall, i.e. touch the area with any part of the limbs bar the feet.
    4 points for causing the opponent to touch the area with his torso or all four limbs.
    8 points for throwing the opponent aerially out of the area.

0 points should a player touch the ground with any part of the body bar the feet after executing a throw etc. or should he follow opponent off the area with either foot.
    2 point penalty should player place any part of his body on the mats, bar the feet, prior to execution of throw, sweep etc.

1 point penalty for technical foul.
    2 point penalty for personal foul.
    3 x personal fouls leads to automatic disqualification, though disqualification is possible prior to this depending on the severity of the offence and at the discretion of the referee.

Winner is player with most points by end of round.
    In case of tie, match is continued in sudden death mode - first point wins.

PERMITTED TECHNIQUES:

In general. All sweeps and throws and locks allowed to areas below the neck.
    Shoulder barge, butting with the hips etc. and gripping opponent (not clothing) is allowed.

ILLEGAL TECHNIQUES:

attacking the head by any means.
    Head locking / closing arm(s) around neck.
    Small joint manipulation.
    Striking the opponent with the exception of shoulder barge as above (a low kick is not a sweep!)
    gripping the clothing of the opponent.
    Attempting to break a limb / joint.
    Purposely spiking an opponent.

ATTIRE:

Players may wear shorts or tracksuit bottoms, and sleeveless or short sleeve T-Shirts. Long sleeves are forbidden. Clothing advertising, bearing the name of a different Combat Sport is forbidden. Players arriving to the area in improper attire will have 5 minutes to change or forfeit their match. A second such offence from the same competitor or school will lead to an automatic loss.

CONDUCT:

Players are expected to be courteous to the officials and their opponents. Threatening or abusive behaviour will not be tolerated. Such will lead to automatic disqualification from the event for the offender, and possible sanctions imposed upon him / her and his / her coach and school. Such incidents will be brought to the attention of the ICBA Professional Conduct & Discipline Committee.

Coaches are expected to preform in a professional manner, and have the responsibility of ensuring their athletes present to the area on time. Athletes will be called to prepare 5 minutes before a bout. Should and athlete not appear on time, after two minutes he or she is deemed to have forfeited the match and no appeals will be accepted. Should a coach have an athlete competing in other formats on the day, they should notify the Tuishou table panel prior to the competitions commencement. An athlete competing in another area will be the sole reason accepted for delay on presenting to the table.

APPEALS:

Appeals on decisions should be made immediately after the match to the ICBA Appeals Official. Appeals cost €50 which will be refunded should the appeal be upheld. Video Footage should be presented.
    The Appeals Officer will convene three senior ICBA officials and present the case and evidence on behalf of the appealing party. The Officials shall be impartial and have no ties to the schools/parties involved.
    The three officials shall take a decision within 15 minutes and the Appeals Officer will relay such back to the party.

OFFICIALS:

The Official's Table will consist of one Time-Keeper and one Recorder.
    One Referee will be present on the mats.

Scores will be displayed through digital displays or flip books as they are scored throughout the match. The Ref will award the score and indicate the reason, and the Recorder will display such on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

paul moran wrote: »
    0 points should a player touch the ground with any part of the body bar the feet after executing a throw etc. or should he follow opponent off the area with either foot.
    2 point penalty should player place any part of his body on the mats, bar the feet, prior to execution of throw, sweep etc.
    Just some clarification, for my own curiosity. I assume this means that shooting a double - as is typical in freestyle - would usually result in a penalty.
    I live overseas, so won't be able to compete. But I take an interest an many styles of grappling. And compete on what I can.
    1 point penalty for technical foul.
    2 point penalty for personal foul.
    What would be an example of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

Just to follow on from the above post, does

"0 points should a player touch the ground with any part of the body bar the feet after executing a throw etc. or should he follow opponent off the area with either foot"

mean that should I successfully complete a hip toss, for example, and follow my opponent to the ground instead of staying upright, I would get 0 points

cletus wrote: »
    mean that should I successfully complete a hip toss, for example, and follow my opponent to the ground instead of staying upright, I would get 0 points

To follow up on the above follow up :D

What about a single leg (no shoot) where you "run to pipe" and take down with chest pressure. You follow the opponent down, but don't touch the mat only the opponent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Mellor wrote: »
    Just some clarification, for my own curiosity. I assume this means that shooting a double - as is typical in freestyle - would usually result in a penalty.
    I live overseas, so won't be able to compete. But I take an interest an many styles of grappling. And compete on what I can.

What would be an example of each.

Sorry my background is in Chinese Martial Arts, so jargon may be a confusing.

"Double Seize Legs" (shooting for both legs) and "Single Seize Legs" (shooting for one) , "Raise hands Step up" (fireman throw) are all perfectly legal techniques. However one may not kneel prior to the throw. To do so would incur a 2 point penalty.

You have indeed identified the key difference in approach between stand-up and submission wrestling.

In submission formats the idea is, as I'm sure you know, to take down an opponent and land on top preferably or in some position of advantage to set up a submission.

Chinese Wrestling formats such as Tuishou follow from a background of Gung Fu and therefore predominately cold weapon usage. Prior to 1900's styles of unarmed Gung Fu were very rare.

As such the idea, similar to Mongolian wrestling and many other traditional forms that were trained along side weapon use, is to throw the opponent through his "void" (where he has no legs / support) -this is the same in both formats, BUT to twist the throw so he is slammed in the direction of our "substantial" (legs / support) which allows one to remain on one's feet and bounce back from the "loaded" leg after the slam. As such this type of technique avoids falling through the opponent and getting tangled with swords, knives etc. The term "sacrifice throw" to describe falling to drag down an opponent thus becomes clear. This twisting characteristic of the throws is also the reason posting and break falls are frowned upon traditionally, in favour of riding the throws and holding on but not dragging down. It also explains why in Chinese martial arts, "ground fighting" more often involves attacks and defensive strategy from the ground against a standing opponent with the central idea of “getting back up safely”, and why most styles therefore pay very little attention to the skills of protracted ground engagement predominant in BJJ etc. So sweeps, scissor take-downs with legs and twisting to take down and leg lock a standing opponent, immediately on being thrown, ensuring his arms / weapons face as far away as possible to allow time to safely get back on to one's feet form the main body of the CMA ground game. Likewise the pounce back out of range to avoid sweeps or even the swing of a sabre ;-) A very different flavour to modern submission wrestling.

Both approaches are valid, its simply a matter of a cultural strategic preference. Quite a few athletes from different disciplines have now competed at the ICBA competitions, and do quite well, it takes a little adjustment / getting used to, but most seem to enjoy the challenges of a different approach. One MMA/ BJJ lad, a veteran of many formats said to me after first competing, “at first I didn't get it, then I thought Sanshou and it all clicked”, and of course that's the point and relationship between the two CMA combat sport formats. (Sanda awards maximum points for a clean throw)

Also keep in mind, although no points are awarded if one goes to ground with the opponent, this does not preclude the tactic of slamming onto an opponent to soften him up a bit ;-)

As for applying "White Crane Flaps its Wings" (hip throw) one must remain standing to score as in any other throw / sweep etc. Here the format differs from Sanda, or Shuai Jiao where “first down” gives away a point. Again originally in Sanshou / Sanda pre-2002 it was 3 points for a “clean throw” and 0 points if you went down too.

Regarding landing on top but not touching the mats, if you can get back up with out touching the mats, even pushing off the opponent who should be making sure you do touch the mats, well then you do score the 4 points. It happens! ( and yes its against the spirit of the format but within the rules)

An example of a technical foul would be taking a breather by delaying getting back to the start position when called. Spitting out gum shield etc. A technical foul does not involve physical contact.

An example of a personal foul would be deliberately striking the opponent. Or applying a choke deliberately during a sprawl defence to a shoot say to effect the opponent. Such fouls could involve immediate disqualification if deemed severe enough by the ref.

Gripping the clothing is a personal foul, but normally a warning or two is given first, unless its vindictive, or used to critically alter the match. For example if it is say a sudden death play off, and one player avoids being thrown by grabbing and hanging on to his opponents t-shirt, obviously it would be unfair to simply let him away with a warning and possibly go on to win the match.

Verbal abuse towards the opponent or officials is also considered a personal foul. So if someone wants to call me a bollocks when I'm refereeing, make sure I'm in a good mood and you've a few points to spare ;-)

Hope this helps? And good luck to everyone on Sunday!

• Advertisement

Sorry my background is in Chinese Martial Arts, so jargon may be a confusing...
    Cheers for the thorough reply Niall. Pretty much confirmed my thoughts on the rules:style relationship. I figure it came from Sanda, and to their from armed fighting.

Personally I tend to drop my knee when shooting in submission wrestling, but not in MMA. I don't actively try to follow this pattern, it just happens more often than not. I don't think I'd take long to adjust, but a few favourite techniques need replacing

Advertisement