Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ciggies in Dublin Airport

Options
  • 27-07-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Off on holidays soon and was just wondering how much 200 John Player Blue would cost at Dublin Airport?

As I am going to Spain, I know I won't get them at Duty Free prices, so how much are they non-Duty Free?
    The part of Spain I'm going to doesn't sell John Player Blue.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Same price as 200 in the shop id say.
    20 marlboro,bensons etc about 4.50 to 4.80 in spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yeah I thought that too.

I wonder is there a certain brand in Spain that would be similar in taste to John Player?
    I know they have JPS but I don't like them.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yeah I thought that too.

I wonder is there a certain brand in Spain that would be similar in taste to John Player?
    I know they have JPS but I don't like them.

I was just going to suggest them!
    Saw them there in june.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They don't sell duty paid cigarettes to people flying within the EU at the airport. Your best bet would be to look out for a brand called Urban Blue in Spain,they're almost identical to JPB.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lord lucan wrote: »
    They don't sell duty paid cigarettes to people flying within the EU at the airport. Your best bet would be to look out for a brand called Urban Blue in Spain,they're almost identical to JPB.

I was going to suggest this, or getting your backup brand if you can't get JPBlue here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So if someone was flying out of Dublin to Lanzarote they wouldn't get any duty free cigs at Dublin airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

muffler wrote: »
    So if someone was flying out of Dublin to Lanzarote they wouldn't get any duty free cigs at Dublin airport?

I'm trying to remember what I did when I went to Lanzarote a few years back.
    I'm pretty sure I got them in Duty Free at a much reduced price.
    They also sold them on the flight too.

Lanzarote is outside the EU so you get duty free.

Great. :)

Major is my brand and cant be bought outside of Ireland afaik so this will work out good for me as I have a family member flying out nest month

Apologies for the bump but does anyone know what the limit is now....i.e. how many cigs can be bought duty free at Dublin airport when flying out to Lanzarote and back obviously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Lanzarote not classed as EU for allowances. You're allowed 200 cigarettes per person.

Lanzarote not classed as EU for allowances. You're allowed 200 cigarettes per person.
    Cheers. There's 2 of them flying out in about 10 days time and as neither of them smoke they can get me sorted with 2 cartons so :)

Cheers. There's 2 of them flying out in about 10 days time and as neither of them smoke they can get me sorted with 2 cartons so :)

Be very careful,customs are watching all flights to Lanzarote,Tenerife etc at the mo.
    My wife was bringing me back 2,000 marlboro a few weeks ago and they were taken of her:(

magentis wrote: »
    Be very careful,customs are watching all flights to Lanzarote,Tenerife etc at the mo.
    My wife was bringing me back 2,000 marlboro a few weeks ago and they were taken of her:(
    Thanks for the advice and heads up. The young pair going out dont smoke as I say so they can get a carton each and everything will be legit.

My brother was out in Tenariffe or somewhere in that neck of the woods about 2 or 3 years ago and while I dont know the quantity of cigs involved I think he told me he spent about €450 on them and he lost the whole lot at the customs.

Thanks for the advice and heads up. The young pair going out dont smoke as I say so they can get a carton each and everything will be legit.

My brother was out in Tenariffe or somewhere in that neck of the woods about 2 or 3 years ago and while I dont know the quantity of cigs involved I think he told me he spent about €450 on them and he lost the whole lot at the customs.

It's a killer.I'm still sick over it,paying almost a tenner a pack when they are 2.60 a pack in Tenerife.

What kills me even more is that they have a massive bonfire with the confiscated cigs:eek:

Just one final question. Does anyone know what the approx cost of the cigs (Major) are per carton as I have to hand over some money before they depart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just one final question. Does anyone know what the approx cost of the cigs (Major) are per carton as I have to hand over some money before they depart?

You may not be able to find Major.I'd recommend you also look at alternative/international brands.

You may not be able to find Major.I'd recommend you also look at alternative/international brands.
    Really? My sister got them about 2 years ago but I suppose thats a while back.

I'll have a plan B so but have you any idea what roughly a duty free carton costs these days?

They're €39.90 for 200 or €65 for 400. And they have Major in Dublin airport.

They're €39.90 for 200 or €65 for 400. And they have Major in Dublin airport.

• Advertisement

Happy to report that my 2 cartons of Major bought for €65 as stated by lord lucan are now resting peacefully in Lanzarote awaiting their return trip next Monday :)

Advertisement