Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fish & Chips in Salthill

• 02-09-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

We're taking our daughter to the aquarium in Salthill for her birthday next week and were wondering if there were any nice places to go for fish & chips after?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

In salthill there's only really one place and it's this one:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Salthill-Traditional-Fish-Chips/102722479852167?sk=app_117784394919914

Which is ok, not great. Aside from super macs and a couple of places that just use frozen chips. Why the hell you'd bother your hole opening a chipper and using frozen chips is beyond me but there you go. These places are still open and getting business so clearly I am the mental one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Got to McDonaghs fish and chips at the bottom of quay st in the city only a 15 min walk from aquarium ! A nice walk at that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Salt 'n' Pepper do outstanding chips. Ignore the haterz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Outstanding me hole...just about adequate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Outstanding me hole...just about adequate

Better than the grease filled MankDonaghs, Salthill Fish and Chips do lovely chunky chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As you can see OP taste is a varied thing and not everyone agree on what good food is...
    Last time I was at Galleon they had pretty good fish and chips - in my opinion ;)
    Menu http://thegalleonrestaurant.ie/menu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

biko wrote: »
    As you can see OP taste is a varied thing and not everyone agree on what good food is...
    Last time I was at Galleon they had pretty good fish and chips - in my opinion ;)
    Menu http://thegalleonrestaurant.ie/menu/
    Was in the new place beside western house/coco, really nice fish and chips. Fisherman's grill I think is the name... Will be a regular I'd say
    Its called the Fisherman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, the Fisherman is gorgeous, I was really impressed.

I wouldn't sniff at either Salt'n'Pepper or Salthill fish & chips, they're grand for takeaway. Gourmet Tart actually does nice fish and chips too, and if you don't mind eating in a pub, The Oslo also do fish and chips. But out of all of them, I'd go for the Fisherman, t'was outstanding ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Is the Fisherman in the middle of Salthill?
    Any more opinions on McDonaghs?
    Any good ones near city centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Had some Salt n Pepper tonight to be sure I would put my life on the line in the event of an upcoming "Galway Chipper War" and let's just say I'm sharpening my knives as we speak.

• Advertisement

Kettle of fish in the city centre is pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Salthill fish and chips shop beside robertos & polish bar has fantastic fresh cod and chip, burgers are supposed to be excellent too. Pretty checp and good size portions. pretty small premised tho.
    I'd go out on a leg and say its the best fish and chip in city (inc salthill).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

feargale wrote: »
    Is the Fisherman in the middle of Salthill?
    Any more opinions on McDonaghs?
    Any good ones near city centre?

Depends how you define "the middle". It's on the seafront, a bit down from Cocoa. Salthill Fish and Chips is in the middle of the shopping area, right beside the bus stop, roughly opposite the church.

McDonaghs: I don't mind 'em, Mr O'Bumble won't go there. Go figure.

Currently there is no fish-and-chipper that we both like in the city-centre.

YMMV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

fush and chups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

McDonagh's is excellent, always enjoy it when I go there.

Kettle of fish is great whenever I've been in it, but by christ do they have some flakey opening times? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

Salthill fish & chips good for takeaway, Lohans fish and chips good for sit in...in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

The Cottage Bar Tempura of Monkfish with curry and lime aioli + chips. FTW

Links234 wrote: »
    Kettle of fish is great whenever I've been in it, but by christ do they have some flakey opening times? :confused:

When they're open they kick the butt of mc.donaghs. But mc.donaghs is great for people watching on a sunny day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Am I allowed to say really quietly that ** I don't like McDonagh's chips** ??

-- What?! who said that!? :confused:

• Advertisement

Eeden wrote: »
    Am I allowed to say really quietly that ** I don't like McDonagh's chips** ??

-- What?! who said that!? :confused:

Bit oily. I mean it's a matter of personal taste. But I think they're overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

Bit oily. I mean it's a matter of personal taste. But I think they're overrated.

The batter is fairly heavy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Okay frozen chips. With some reasonably fresh oil and a bag of supermarket chips you could get the same results at home.
    I used to be a big fan of kettle of fish but my opinion's turned. When it's good it's very good but it's run by some tight arses who'll happily over use the oil between changes and re-fry stale chips and pass them out to customers to save a few cents. I rarely go in these days.
    A definite +1 there. MacDonagh's used to be really good years ago but their standards have dropped and their competitors have stepped up a long way from frozen chips.

I miss Harry Fitz!

I miss Harry Fitz!

Actually, yeah. That place was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

Are you some kind of sicko, taking your daughter to see nemo and then eating the mother after,

Are you some kind of sicko, taking your daughter to see nemo and then eating the mother after,

HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Better than the grease filled MankDonaghs, Salthill Fish and Chips do lovely chunky chips.

+1 for the Salthill Fish and Chips, they've negated many a healthy walk of the prom. Much prefer them to McDonaghs.

There used to be a seafood restaurant above the aquarium where the Chinese place is now, I'm sorry I never got the chance to go while it was there, would've loved to have visited the aquarium and picked out my dinner.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Sorry everyone but there are no good chippers in Galway.

Vinnie's or Kettle of fish are sort of there, but for true proper chips I end up travelling to Limerick.

Golden Grill chips are like small bites of heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sorry everyone but there are no good chippers in Galway.

Vinnie's or Kettle of fish are sort of there, but for true proper chips I end up travelling to Limerick.

Golden Grill chips are like small bites of heaven.

Long way to travel for a bag of chips

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Yeah, it's probably a good thing though, stops me indulging too often. Plus my family live there, so there's always that too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Nobody has mentioned Jack Jordan's yet it blows the rest out of the water. best chipper in Galway in my opinion.

paconnors wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned Jack Jordan's yet it blows the rest out of the water. best chipper in Galway in my opinion.

Is it in Salthill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think McDonaghs is very overrated. We only ate there once and we were underwhelmed by the food.

Is it in Salthill?
    The far side of the city. It's out in Doughiska.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Ah not at all! Elvis used to get up in the middle of the night and fly with half of his entourage halfway across the USA to his favourite burger joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For take-away, I'd vote for Salthill Fish & Chips. Generally very nice chips, although the odd time they aren't great. Stay away from Salt 'n' Pepper ... frozen chips!
    paconnors wrote: »

That's because it's a long walk from Salthill :)

I was in Salthill Fish and Chips the other night for the first time in ages and the chips were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Is it in Salthill?

One branch is on the Doughiska rd near Centra so not exactly handy for Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Looks like a new place to try out soon on St Helens street where the gourmet tart used to be, next door to Alis fish shop, not sure if it is his new venture, but you'd have to assume the fish is going to be top notch. Painting on the wall has a fish hooked on a fishing line with "Hooked" across the top, assume it the name, must to close to opening, as it looked to be all kitted out.

Another place caught my eye next to Kellys pub called MAREBLU, still some nail banging going on but someone said they think it too is a new fish and chip shop.

Look forward to the one next to Ali's opening.

• Advertisement

JackyJoe wrote: »
    Looks like a new place to try out soon on St Helens street where the gourmet tart used to be, next door to Alis fish shop, not sure if it is his new venture, but you'd have to assume the fish is going to be top notch. Painting on the wall has a fish hooked on a fishing line with "Hooked" across the top, assume it the name, must to close to opening, as it looked to be all kitted out.

Another place caught my eye next to Kellys pub called MAREBLU, still some nail banging going on but someone said they think it too is a new fish and chip shop.

Look forward to the one next to Ali's opening.

It is already open, someone in another thread was giving their tuppence on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

So is Alis fish shop open? Thinking about heading down for some good old fish and chip if its open. Didn't look open a few days ago.

Been to Hooked twice now, and it really is fantastic. Definitely planning to go back again soon

The thing is, the price is amazing for what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Been to Hooked twice now, and it really is fantastic. Definitely planning to go back again soon

The thing is, the price is amazing for what you get.

+1

Really impressed with food and customer service - friendly and cozy place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Do they do take away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Where exactly is hooked?

Do they do take away?
    Yes. They've started doing takeout recently. Last time I was there it was €7.50 for fish and chips with tartare sauce and a slice of lemon.
    zarquon wrote: »
    Where exactly is hooked?
    Hooked is on St. Helen's St / Henry St (it's right where they meet) next to the Mermaid Fishmongers. It used to be a Gourmet Tart Co. outlet.

I was very happy with it and will definitely be going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

zarquon wrote: »
    Where exactly is hooked?

I gave someone the same directions as above yesterday and he have me a blank look until I said "just before Cooke's Corner" and then I got an "aah ok"
    So whatever gets you there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Tried Hooked last week; had the fish (haddock) & chips. Food was great, good price and excellent service. Love the decor inside too.

Will be back to try more of the menu. ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement