Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will I miss out on the college experience if I can't move out this year

• 02-09-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm starting my first year of university this year and have been too late in booking accommodation. I live about a 10 minutes walk from college and have been given freedom to stay out as long as I want. I'm really desperate to make friends and I really don't want to miss out on everything. I love parties and have an interest in a few society's . Would I miss out much on the college experience and In making friends till I move out next year? Thanks for any responses lads!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

TMurph95 wrote: »
    I'm starting my first year of university this year and have been too late in booking accommodation. I live about a 10 minutes walk from college and have been given freedom to stay out as long as I want. I'm really desperate to make friends and I really don't want to miss out on everything. I love parties and have an interest in a few society's . Would I miss out much on the college experience and In making friends till I move out next year? Thanks for any responses lads!

If you only live 10 minutes from college then there's no point getting accommodation, waste of money and you wont miss much. Join the society's you have an interest in and you will make friends in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You would be insane to move out if you're only 10 minutes from the college. Think of the money you would save and the other uses you can put it to. I lived at home when I was in UCC and away from home when I did my postgrad. It was grand but I never felt I was missing out on anything not living away from home when I was in UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I'm the same, I'm about a 20min walk from campus and I'd love to move out. But there's really no point, the money you save can be used for travelling, etc. Just befriend people who have their own houses for parties ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Yes and no, first year of my college term I lived 15 minutes walking distance with parents was great if you had a long break or you only had one class on a certain day. Less time travelling so more time to work on assignments in turn you had more free time.

Second year living on my own is nice to have the freedom friends over for a party etc but finical cost of living on my own is the disadvantage.

If I choose between the two I pick living closer and with parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

That far out? Not at all.

Maybe a little if you want to bring girls/guys home to **** regularly, but otherwise the only thing you're missing is clearing up after a house party ends.

However if you lived outside of town, that's a real balls. You miss out on so much since you can't usually stay around every day for society activities, parties, hanging out, etc.

And if you do, then it's even more of a pain since you have to get up earlier the next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

I lived approx 15 mins from UCC all throughout my undergrad.

Never felt like I missed out on anything!

Dont be silly & create unnecessary financial burdens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

No. The college experience you have is completely up to you. Don't worry.

Plus, I think most people would love to be in your position. 10 minutes walkies, damn

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TMurph95

Rather than bringing guys home I'll just stay over at theirs . It's much more economical really . It would be fairly desperate to pay €4000-€6000 a year just for the privilege of bringing people home hahaha

Advertisement