Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100 levy for secondary school

Options
  • 27-08-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My son came home from school today and told me the VP pulled a number of kids out of class told them they wouldn't be issued with lockers until the €100 levy was paid.. He had his locker fee with him. I've no issue with paying the fee it's just a question of balancing the bottom line for this week!! My Q is should this form of 'blackmail' (excuse the word think it's a little strong just can't think of another) be allowed?? Son is in third yr so school bag is v heavy..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Thats horrible out of the school. Some students would find that traumatic as others know they haven't paid the levy yet.
    I'd tell him to try insist on a locker as he has paid the locker fee already. Maybe he has a nice year head or class teacher who he would feel more comfortable speaking with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kazzykenn71

Thanks so much for advise, he's a reserved lad when it comes to adults not so much with peers...I know he wouldn't be brave enough to stand up for himself, I will give him the money tomorrow to save any further embarrassment for him, I'm just annoyed that senior staff would single people out in this day and age. I'm thinking of adding a note to the same effect.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you been given a reason for the €100?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

A note wouldn't be a bad idea. Schools should empathise with students and their parents, that kind of treatment is utterly appalling

Have you been given a reason for the €100?[/quote

No reason as far as I know it's a standard levy applied to all students for being a student in the school...

• Advertisement

xLisaBx wrote: »
    A note wouldn't be a bad idea. Schools should empathise with students and their parents, that kind of treatment is utterly appalling

I think I will certainly don't want to alienate him anymore but as u say some kind of empathy wouldn't go astray.. It's only day 3 after all. Thanks Lisa B

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I was just about to start a thread..... My sons headmistress has said also none of the students will be getting lockers until the fee is paid... I am livid. I can pay it but I feel so bad for some of the other students... It will be blatantly obvious who's parents are unable to pay by the massive bag if books the student will have to carry around. It is punishing the students for their parents financial situation. This has made me so so angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

I've had the same problem in my daughters school. They look for €185 to be paid on or before the first day or no locker. Had a very bad experience in second year where daughter came home very upset over it. I wrote to Minister for Education to complain. The reply I got back was that the schools could do this as long as it's for reasonable expenses - locker, photocopying etc. Seems a bit of a scam. And we'll get a letter soon looking for €250 "voluntary" contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I've had the same problem in my daughters school. They look for €185 to be paid on or before the first day or no locker. Had a very bad experience in second year where daughter came home very upset over it. I wrote to Minister for Education to complain. The reply I got back was that the schools could do this as long as it's for reasonable expenses - locker, photocopying etc. Seems a bit of a scam. And we'll get a letter soon looking for €250 "voluntary" contribution.

Do you think the photocopying, journals etc. come for free? wheres the scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I thought the "voluntary contribution" was more or less done away with at this stage? Haven't heard it come up in a good while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

seavill wrote: »
    Do you think the photocopying, journals etc. come for free? wheres the scam?
    No I don't think that photocopying costs €185. If so every school would need it. The same lockers are used every year and are in poor condition, the only cost involved there is replacing a padlock occasionally.
    My problem is with the pressure put on students in what is supposed to be a free education system to produce money or be made feel different in front of their peers. My daughter came home extremely upset on the first day back to school as she hadn't got the money with her. I make sure now that it's always paid on time but the first time it happened we weren't aware of the importance of bringing in the money on the first day.
    My feeling is that schools are bringing in this charge to compensate for the increasing number of parents who are either unwilling or unable to pay the voluntary contribution. I have experience of several secondary schools and the amount charged seems to vary hugely between schools which to me would indicate that it's not based on the actual costs. A school journal can be bought in Easons for about €10, a padlock costs about the same. I see no reason why a school journal has to be specially printed with the name of the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

It's the government that leaves schools underfunded. If they were funded correctly then there would be no need for any contributions.
    Your anger is directed in the wrong direction.
    The last number if years they stopped the summer works scheme so noomey to fix the leak replace broken win dunes broken heating systems. These things have to be done and the government wouldn't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Extremely upset over forgetting the money... ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

thats very dear for a locker ..I paid 30 euro..

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

I had enough bull**** from the Schools and putting pressure on the parents with costs..So last year I said NO to paying voluntary contribution I told them I dot have it as I have 3 kids going to school .Free Education my arse..

Advertisement