Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Learn courses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

I signed up for an apps development course they were running but couldn't do it due to my mother's declining health/death.

Have signed up for the Irish History one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057265723

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Sorry to hear about your Mother Johnny. It's not an easy time.
    Meet you in the virtual classroom. (I'll be sitting down the back ;))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

jos28 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your Mother Johnny. It's not an easy time.
    Meet you in the virtual classroom. (I'll be sitting down the back ;))

Joined up as well, hope that it's interesting.
    (I've got a new blazer to impress teacher! She is so hot)

Teacher's pet :P :D

have done the first week's sessions and now on week 2 material. Nothing too dramatic/challenging so far.

• Advertisement

Not too taxing on the brain so far. Interesting concept but I haven't really learned anything new yet.

yes, haven't learnt anything really new yet. Hopefully the course will gather momentum.

A bit annoyed with some photos being used wrongly but happy with the way links to resources, primary material etc has been organised. Some useful material in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Just wondering how everyone is getting on. I'm enjoying it...at least whenever I have time to do it! Still on the third week but slowly catching up. I wouldn't have had a great knowledge of the subject anyway so I've definitely learned a few things. I found the World War 1 resource materials the most useful so far. Really enjoyed that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm doing 'Irish Lives in War & Revolution'. I was aware of most of what has been explained so far, except for one or two bits but it is all so interesting. There are far too many links for them to say 'you only need to chose one or two', it's hard not to keep clicking all the links. It's very well presented, the introductions are good as well, and the music fits the subject well I think. The woman on the introductions I think is trying hard to keep her voice dis-connected in order to be an independent voice, but it sounds like a bit of a drone, but I don't think its her fault, probably directed to be so. If I must nitpick, its just now and again they refer to the 'army', and I wonder which army, there were several 'groups' all might describe themselves as an army, it just confused me once or twice.

still ploughing through the material. Sometimes the pace of the videos is a bit slow but otherwise seems to be going OK.

• Advertisement

I was missing for a while so I've just caught up. I think the course is very well presented, the sources are very interesting and well presented. I would love more time to go through every single source in detail but I suppose I can do at any stage. Finding some of the videos a bit slow but well worth watching. While I like reading through the discussions, I'd never have the time to read through the entire threads. Love reading some of the personal stories in there.

I actually chanced putting my surname in the Military Database from 1922 and found 2 members of my family that signed up. Filling in something on the family tree = great bonus :D
    I've also signed up for this one
    https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/ww1-trauma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Hi I would love to have done this course as I am writing a novel in this period in Ireland does anyone know if they are running g it again. I can't find anything on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ParsleyQueen

Hi! I went through the entire 6 weeks as best as I could. I thought it was a surprisingly enriching experience. Granted, most of the materials were links to sites available to the public, but they were collated in such a way as to compliment the theme of the week. Besides, I probably would not have found some of the more interesting documents on my own. The instructors did a great job (and it must have been very time-consuming) putting the whole thing together. It helped me to think in different directions about that period in time (1914-1923).

I didn't think I would like the discussion part, but that was one of the more interesting aspects. Participants were serious about learning and sharing. Virtually no crap conversation (at least that I saw), and lots of family and personal stories.

If they run it again, I recommend it.

I'm glad I signed up, I enjoyed it. Most of the sources were ones I'd used before but I enjoyed reading the personal stories. Overall a very well put together course. Has anyone bothered with the certificate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

No, didn't bother with certificate. Anyone think it might be something worth having on the CV?

Could be useful on the CV if you were applying for work in that area. I think you can order the cert at a later stage. I'm not going to spend the €30 now, I'll hold on and get one if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Signed up for, Archaeology of Portus: Exploring the Lost Harbour of Ancient Rome

Can't wait :D

not gone for the certificate. This was for personal enjoyment.

Starting the Mobile Games course shortly

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/begin-programming-autumn-2014

to run alongside an evening course I'm doing (and struggling with cos the instructor is crap)

Not sure if anyone posted this elsewhere, but FutureLearn is running the Irish Lives course again, starting 16 March. I enjoyed it very much and recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hunter gatherer

Are you assessed based on your participation in discussions on threads or is it more for personal enjoyment deeming assessment unnecessary?

I would be interested in a few of the courses but wouldn't want tests and participation to become more time consuming than I can afford. Would rather do one or two courses well than 4 badly.

• Advertisement

Are you assessed based on your participation in discussions on threads or is it more for personal enjoyment deeming assessment unnecessary?

I would be interested in a few of the courses but wouldn't want tests and participation to become more time consuming than I can afford. Would rather do one or two courses well than 4 badly.

I've only taken the one course (though I am signed up for two more this year), the assessment was based on whether or not you got through the unit and the course (I did not get the certificate). A progress bar was the assessment, pretty much. There were a few quizzes; and two writing assignments that were commented upon by others in the class (only those who submitted an essay could comment on others' work). There was no grade or rating applied to those. The discussion was not assessed at all, but, in my opinion, was very interesting. The majority of the people in the course were genuinely interested, and so there was very little off-base postings. Most of the people were helpful, even when being critical.

Again, this is based on having only taken the Irish Lives course. Others may be arranged and assessed differently.

If you're working full time and have other adult-type obligations, I would recommend taking one at a time at first. There is a lot of material offered, and that would allow you to get the most out of it.

Advertisement