Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can i find a good soccer club for my 11 year old son

• 03-04-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all new to site .
    We are moving back to Ireland from England and I have to find a good club for my son who is 11 yrs old .
    He plays as a letf winger or midfild .
    Can anyone help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

where in Ireland are you moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BarginFinder

Carlow

we also don*t mind driving half an hour or an hour to a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Maybe you'd be better off asking in the Carlow forum.

Sorry new on this site ,
    I will try that as soon as I work out how too .
    Thanks for you advise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭davocesque

if you dont mind an hour drive u should try Arklow Town, excellent schoolboy setup, recently sent over a young lad to sheffield united, and a few junior internationals plus very good facilities. if u want to go one further, St. Josephs boys in sallynoggin, south dublin, play in the DDSL, and a very successful schoolboy club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Ring your local schoolboy soccer league is the best idea. A to Z is a very good site for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Forget the soccer. Carlow Rugby Club is where to go.

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Forget the soccer. Carlow Rugby Club is where to go.
    Yeah but maybe his son wants to play soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Yeah but maybe his son wants to play soccer.

Fair enough. Is it ok that i suggest another option just in case his or her son didn't consider it? He or She can just ignore my post if they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

we also don*t mind driving half an hour or an hour to a team

Abbeyleix have a very good underage setup and is only about 30 minutes from Carlow. Let me know if you want contact details.

Or there are loads of underage teams in county carlow (Which means less driving for you!)
    The contact details for the clubs are in the link. http://www.carlowjuvsoccer.com/index.html

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Fair enough. Is it ok that i suggest another option just in case his or her son didn't consider it? He or She can just ignore my post if they want.
    Or you can bring it up the next time someone wants their kid wants to play under age rugby in Carlow. Not putting down your post but poster made a specific enquiry.

Thank you all for your help.

Thank you very much for your reply and link found it very helpfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

if youre gonna drive that far then look at some south/west dublin teams like Cherry Orchard. If the player is good enouugh you have to go to the best teams and foster the talent. Sallynoggin team are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Hi all new to site .
    We are moving back to Ireland from England and I have to find a good club for my son who is 11 yrs old .
    Can anyone help

Is he any good? Has he played football before and if so who for?

Well we think he is good .
    He plays left midfield and can cross with both feet ,
    Runs all day and is good at reading the game and has lots of neet tricks when playing ,
    has great ball control.
    but could be better with his head.

He is 11 years old now and at nine and ten was offered trials with West ham and Tottenham but we thought he was too young to go for trails as football is all he thinks about and we wanted him to just get on with it and if he gets better , then go for trails at 14 and if he did not make the trails work out for him he would be older and it would not brake his hart.

Well we think he is good .
    He plays left midfield and can cross with both feet ,
    Runs all day and is good at reading the game and has lots of neet tricks when playing ,
    has great ball control.
    but could be better with his head.

He is 11 years old now and at nine and ten was offered trials with West ham and Tottenham but we thought he was too young to go for trails as football is all he thinks about and we wanted him to just get on with it and if he gets better , then go for trails at 14 and if he did not make the trails work out for him he would be older and it would not brake his hart.

Right, well I would recommend you look into the following clubs. They all have a good name/policies in general. But it's up to you to talk to them, find out what level your sons age group is playing at, and what league the teams are playing in as this may mean adding another 30 - 60 mins on to your initial travelling time for away fixtures. I would also recommend asking about the coaches and training facilities and player development in general as at 11 years of age, your son needs really good coaching to bring him on as a player. Anyway, one last thing, I am listing clubs over 30 mins away as if your son is as good as you say, you need to travel. So here goes:

Newbridge Town FC - 45 mins
    Kildare Town FC - 50 mins
    Shamrock Rovers - 1 hour
    Wayside FC - 1 hour 10 mins
    St Josephs(Bray) - 1 Hour 10 mins
    Arklow Town - 1 Hour 10 mins
    Wexford Youths - 1 Hour 10 mins

Thanks .
    will let you know how we get on

Thanks .
    will let you know how we get on

No probs, hope things work out.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help my son now plays for Newbridge town

Thanks for your help my son now plays for Newbridge town

Great to hear. Hope he's enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Hi all new to site .
    Can anyone help

it depends what his standard is,Arklow is a great club but that would be a lot of travel,they get scouts at their matches a fair bit.

I lived down Carlow direction a few years ago and tbh there's nothing down there that would compare to Arklow but i think when you consider the travel for training and matches Arklow is too far.

If he's good he will be in contention for the Kennedy cup which is an under 14 comp where each team is picked from the best players in that county(Carlow may be coupled with Kilkenny).
    The Kennedy cup is awash with scouts also.
    If he was very good in the U.K he will be pishing around the kids down in Carlow,great for his confidence i suppose.

thanks for all your help .
    he played for Newbridge and Kildare county for the last 3 years .
    and my son has now singed for a Dublin premier side and I have being told that the Ireland squad are looking at him for left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Mod note:

Soccer / Zombie Thread... closed thread on both accounts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement