Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used Strings....what to do with them ?

• 03-10-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭

I never thought that someone else might be interested in, or need, my used strings until I came across this site on another instrument forum. Seems like a good way to help out our less well off fellow musicians from other parts of the world. :)

http://weneedstrings.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Interesting idea...

However, Kaspersky threw up an alert when I visited the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Due to the overwhelming support since the launch of this charity, donations are currently on hold while we deal with the huge volume of strings we’ve already received.

Thanks so much for your support, and check back again soon.

Shame, its a great idea.
    We've thought about this in the past. it's such a waste throwing old strings away, all those metals going into landfill not to mention the environmental costs.

The question is would customers be willing to cover the postage costs to send their old strings back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Strings.ie wrote: »
    The question is would customers be willing to cover the postage costs to send their old strings back?

I doubt if the postage cost would be that pricey as strings are fairly light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Rigsby wrote: »
    I doubt if the postage cost would be that pricey as strings are fairly light.

Assuming they are loose without any packaging, you're around 30-50 grams for an average set of guitar strings. An Post large envelope rate would cost you 1.20 Euro for up to 100 grams. A few sets would push it into their packet rate which is 3.40 for up to 250 grams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Strings.ie wrote: »
    Assuming they are loose without any packaging, you're around 30-50 grams for an average set of guitar strings. An Post large envelope rate would cost you 1.20 Euro for up to 100 grams. A few sets would push it into their packet rate which is 3.40 for up to 250 grams.

At less than the price of a packet of cigarettes, or a return bus fare from the suburbs to the city center, if it helps someone less fortunate than ourselves, then IMO this is not expensive.

Granted, others may not see it this way. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement