Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notepad ++ no option to run code

Options
  • 16-09-2014 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble running my code on notepad++ at home.

There are no options to run your code when you click run, unlike in my lab in coegr

When i hover over it, it only says
    Run F5.

In the labs there are 3 options with browsers to run it, any advice ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What do you mean 'run your code'? Just hit f5 in your browser to refresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

smash wrote: »
    What do you mean 'run your code'? Just hit f5 in your browser to refresh.

I can do that in the lab but not at home.
    I write out my code save it and there should be an option like "launch in Firefox" but there isn't ?

Or you can just open it with a browser yourself...

smash wrote: »
    Or you can just open it with a browser yourself...

How ?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

type in the address bar
    file:///C:/whereisavedmyfiles/filename

• Advertisement

M.T.D wrote: »
    type in the address bar
    file:///C:/whereisavedmyfiles/filename

I can open from file explorer but I want to know how I do it from the software ?

I can open from file explorer but I want to know how I do it from the software ?
    Obviously you can't. You're making life hard for yourself, just open the file with IE or Firefox or Chrome or whatever and hit f5 to refresh the page and see your changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What do you have in the run menu? Ctrl+alt+shift+r should run in Chrome for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What Are you making a website? Or Java - I saw your thread about /n :(:p

What you need to do if it is a website save your html & css files

>File >Save As>mywebsite.HTML
    >if you dont know what css is stop here
    >go to your css
    >File >Save As>mywebsite.css

Start reading again...
    Save them/it in a folder on your desktop
    now go to your html file
    Right click it
    >Open with firefox/chrome/ie/opera
    that will display your work.

Notepad++ does not show you a preview of your work.
    If you want something that does use Adobe Dreamweaver
    however i would recommend using notepad++ as Dreamweaver is like learning a new language in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Install the notepad ++ plugin Preview HTML and you can preview in real time your changes. It only shows in IE though as far as I can remember.

If you want to use the run menu to open in the browser then you will have to edit shortcuts.xml

Open shortcuts.xml it is located in your appdata folder. I.E C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\

Now this part is important. Make sure that NP++ is closed and use another file editor to edit the file as NP++ keeps the current version in memory and then writes it back after you close NP++ which will remove your changes. Use wordpad or notepad.

Now replace the <UserDefinedCommands /> line with
    <UserDefinedCommands>
    <Command name="Launch in Chrome"  Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="82">%LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\Application\Chrome.exe                       &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;</Command>
    <Command name="Launch in FireFox" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="83">&quot;C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe&quot;    &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;</Command>
    <Command name="Launch in IE"      Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="84">&quot;C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe&quot; &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;</Command>
    </UserDefinedCommands>

You might need to change the location for the programs depending on your system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Run > Launch in Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

New versions of Notepad++ don't automatically add the browser shortcuts, you've to add them.

Easiest might be to copy in a few entries in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\shortcuts.xml

Mine looks like...
    <NotepadPlus>
        <InternalCommands />
        <Macros>
            <Macro name="Trim Trailing and save" Ctrl="no" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="83">
                <Action type="2" message="0" wParam="42024" lParam="0" sParam="" />
                <Action type="2" message="0" wParam="41006" lParam="0" sParam="" />
            </Macro>
        </Macros>
        <UserDefinedCommands>
            <Command name="Launch in Firefox" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="88">firefox &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;</Command>
            <Command name="Launch in IE" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="73">iexplore &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;</Command>
            <Command name="Launch in Chrome" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="82">chrome &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;</Command>
            <Command name="Launch in Safari" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="70">safari &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;</Command>
            <Command name="Get php help" Ctrl="no" Alt="yes" Shift="no" Key="112">http://www.php.net/%20$(CURRENT_WORD)</Command>
            <Command name="Google Search" Ctrl="no" Alt="yes" Shift="no" Key="113">http://www.google.com/search?q=$(CURRENT_WORD)</Command>
            <Command name="Wikipedia Search" Ctrl="no" Alt="yes" Shift="no" Key="114">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=$(CURRENT_WORD)</Command>
            <Command name="Open file" Ctrl="no" Alt="yes" Shift="no" Key="116">$(NPP_DIRECTORY)\notepad++.exe $(CURRENT_WORD)</Command>
            <Command name="Open in another instance" Ctrl="no" Alt="yes" Shift="no" Key="117">$(NPP_DIRECTORY)\notepad++.exe $(CURRENT_WORD) -nosession -multiInst</Command>
            <Command name="Send via Outlook" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="79">outlook /a &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;</Command>
        </UserDefinedCommands>
        <PluginCommands />
        <ScintillaKeys />
    </NotepadPlus>

(Or what salamanca22 said. )

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

in notepad ++ click on run menu and then it gives you options to launch in firefox, internet explorer, google chrome, safari
    that is version 1

Advertisement