Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to care for Barker's shoes

Options
  • 09-12-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I bought a pair of Barker's shoes recently and would like to keep them in good condition. The shop gave me a tin of Kiwi polish, which they said is one of the better ones. A Google search indicates that I probably should use some conditioning cream as well every now and and then. A UK product, Renapur, seems to be getting some favourable reviews. Have any of you ever used this, or have any other recomendations?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Yeah, generally I'd use a wax polish 3 or 4 times to maintain the shine. Then when the next polish is due use some dliluted rubbing alcohol/nail varnish remover to remove the wax polish before using the cream polish to nourish the leather.

The cream polish won't give much of a shine to the leather but it will keep it in good condition, especially if you've forked out 200+ for good quality calf leather shoes.

I order my shoes off Herring and they kindly throw in their own brand wax polish which is good.

For cream polish, I've recently started using Saphir. It works well and doesn't smell awful either. There are a ton of colours to choose from though so if you're unsure you're better off getting neutral to begin with as there's a risk of altering the colour of the shoe otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

That's great. Thanks a mill.

Advertisement