Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Global Village on Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I think being a perceived victim is her raison d' tre in life - a reason for getting out of bed in the morning, in a "How many people are going to offend me today?" sort of way.
    Yeah. Dead on
    .you are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

For years dill was going on about how badly she was treated by her family. Especially her father. Since she has had her baby boy Apparantly her father now talks to her. So that's one less thing for her to moan about at least. So for mote publicity she breast fed her baby on afternoon tv3. Big reaction again. Her and her aging partner had never heard of a breast pump. She wears mens clothing and wonders why people look weirdly at her. Imo she is the most attention seeking individual I have ever encountered. And for the sake of her baby. She should cop on and grow up.

is it her baby?

neris wrote: »
    For years dill was going on about how badly she was treated by her family. Especially her father. Since she has had her baby boy Apparantly her father now talks to her. So that's one less thing for her to moan about at least. So for mote publicity she breast fed her baby on afternoon tv3. Big reaction again. Her and her aging partner had never heard of a breast pump. She wears mens clothing and wonders why people look weirdly at her. Imo she is the most attention seeking individual I have ever encountered. And for the sake of her baby. She should cop on and grow up.

is it her baby?
    Yeah . Her and her partner used some donor sperm. Her partner will have her baby in a couple of years. So dill said numerous times. ?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

The one thing I dont understand about this wan, is that she left Sri Lanka and her family because they wouldnt accept that she was gay. So she moves to Ireland, one of the most liberal countries in the world where she can marry her female partner and have a child. Ireland affords her these liberties and all she ever does is give out about the place.

And I dont get this whole narrative about her, how she is brave and a champion of rights of the minorities. Surely if she was such, she would have stayed in Sri Lanka and fought for her rights there, instead of moving to a country where the "rules" most suited with her personally.

Let her know how you feel! Text in costs 30 cents.

kidneyfan wrote: »
    The one thing I dont understand about this wan, is that she left Sri Lanka and her family because they wouldnt accept that she was gay. So she moves to Ireland, one of the most liberal countries in the world where she can marry her female partner and have a child. Ireland affords her these liberties and all she ever does is give out about the place.

And I dont get this whole narrative about her, how she is brave and a champion of rights of the minorities. Surely if she was such, she would have stayed in Sri Lanka and fought for her rights there, instead of moving to a country where the "rules" most suited with her personally.

Let her know how you feel! Text in costs 30 cents.
    No because she would only get off on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I wonder would she go out for a pint with me? Maybe watch a match or something? Could have a chat about how great it is to live here. I hope she likes a pint, I'm buying.

emo72 wrote: »
    I wonder would she go out for a pint with me? Maybe watch a match or something? Could have a chat about how great it is to live here. I hope she likes a pint, I'm buying.
    Her baby and partner will be there as well. Don't forget. But at least you won't have to fork out for a pint for the baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Used to listen to the start of the show driving home from work on saturdays (never stuck with it for long)
    Always though it was a bit "ethnic minority gay whales against the bomb"
    Looking to be outraged... now you don't have to look hard to be outraged... and there is a serious point in not just sweeping stuff under the carpet..actually can you be outraged on someone elses behalf ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Used to listen to the start of the show driving home from work on saturdays (never stuck with it for long)
    Always though it was a bit "ethnic minority gay whales against the bomb"
    Looking to be outraged... now you don't have to look hard to be outraged... and there is a serious point in not just sweeping stuff under the carpet..actually can you be outraged on someone elses behalf ?
    Are you saying then that her show was "crap "?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't seek out her show, but if it's on when I'm listening to the radio I'll leave it on.
    I think there is a lot of issue taken here with the topics on the show often being ones of the non Irish, or non hetero white Irish persons experience of living here, and many seem to express displeasure when Dil uses her own experiences to empathise with her guests.
    I might suggest that there is much common ground for many immigrants here, so this is hardly surprising.
    And, given how many shows on air, in particular on Newstalk, that are presented by white, heterosexual men, it shouldn't be so offensive to have an alternative voice on the air, once a week.
    You don't have to listen to it.
    Many seem to be expressing outrage at Dil's apparent forced outrage, but then they are no better, listening to a radio show and a presenter you don't like and posting here how annoyed you are, rather than pressing that button or turning that dial and listening to something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

But at least you won't have to fork out for a pint for the baby.

Are you saying the baby doesn't deserve a pint? Why not? Is it cause its a baby borne to a gay couple? Is it cause you don't like babies? Babies born in a bath in her sitting room. Pls tick which discrimation you're putting forth as topic for next weeks show.

Are you saying the baby doesn't deserve a pint? Why not? Is it cause its a baby borne to a gay couple? Is it cause you don't like babies? Babies born in a bath in her sitting room. Pls tick which discrimation you're putting forth as topic for next weeks show.
    At least 4 pc shows. Yeah

Aaah. No. Why did you remind me about the birthing pool in the front room. I had erased that from my mind.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Many seem to be expressing outrage at Dil's apparent forced outrage, but then they are no better, listening to a radio show and a presenter you don't like and posting here how annoyed you are, rather than pressing that button or turning that dial and listening to something else.
    I was with you up until you said this.

I happen to think Dill has a lovely personality. I'd say she is one of those wonderful people who sees the best in everybody, and has genuinely large capacity to sympathise & empathise with people who are vulnerable and treated badly by society.

However, I don't think these wonderful characteristics make her a good radio host. I think she lacks an important journalistic inclination towards self-criticism and dispassionate analysis.

All of us are entitled to express and exchange opinions on radio broadcasting. That's what this subforum is here for. If you reduce everything down to, "well, if you don't like it, then tune out", you might as well shut-down the entire radio subforum (one of the more active forums on this website).

Anybody who disagrees with our criticisms of Dill's broadcasting style is more than welcome to come here and debate that with us. But I suspect a lot of people share these criticisms, and although some criticism of Dill is way O.T.T, this discussion is a perfectly legitimate one, in my humble opinion.

I like Dill, and I share many of her opinions, I just think she ought to make a more meaningful effort to understand and respect those well-meaning people who don't share her personal worldview. That's a fundamental principle of the tolerance she claims to espouse.

I happen to think Dill has a lovely personality. I'd say she is one of those wonderful people who sees the best in everybody, and has genuinely large capacity to sympathise & empathise with people who are vulnerable and treated badly by society.

To be fair I agree to a point despite my annoyance with her. I imagine shes a good/nice person.

She just never 'stops' . She can't just 'be'! For me personally, its the gay thing that I have a problem with. Ok you re gay! Be gay ! But its not the only thing you are! You don't need to have it define your very existence. She brings it into every single topic discussed........ ' well as a gay woman......'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

She may be a nice person in her personal life. The attachment parenting stuff irritates me. Just another way for women to judge each other.

kidneyfan wrote: »
    She may be a nice person in her personal life. The attachment parenting stuff irritates me. Just another way for women to judge each other.
    What does attachment parenting stuff mean?

kidneyfan wrote:
    The attachment parenting stuff irritates me.

Ah here ...... she's not one of them is she????? That's so typical.

Donkeykong, its when u literally don't let ur baby outta ur sight, you sleep with it, you feed on demand, if it cries, you jump, and if you are an attachment parent and you get told by an non attachment parent that they don't 'attachment parent ' ..... you know they just don't love their kids as much as you do!!!! (Imo and just from those ive met )

kidneyfan wrote:
    The attachment parenting stuff irritates me.

Ah here ...... she's not one of them is she????? That's so typical.

Donkeykong, its when u literally don't let ur baby outta ur sight, you sleep with it, you feed on demand, if it cries, you jump, and if you are an attachment parent and you get told by an non attachment parent that they don't 'attachment parent ' ..... you know they just don't love their kids as much as you do!!!! (Imo and just from those ive met )
    Thanks. She is obviously one then. Seeing as she had to take the baby on tv3 show and feed it on live TV. Couldn't express milk and give it to her partner to feed said baby. Don't know how my kids survived. Waiting with a soother in their little mouths while I made up their bottles. Often had to wait at least 20 minutes. Oh what a bad mother I was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

I personally don't consider people with such a negative outlook and attitude to life to be nice people.

I'd be inclined to have quite the opposite opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thanks. She is obviously one then. Seeing as she had to take the baby on tv3 show and feed it on live TV. Couldn't express milk and give it to her partner to feed said baby. Don't know how my kids survived. Waiting with a soother in their little mouths while I made up their bottles. Often had to wait at least 20 minutes. Oh what a bad mother I was.

She wouldn't approve of soothers she would consider them as a tool of oppression silencing people with no voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

How many listen to this show? With all the chopping and changing in schedules you imagine it is lucky to survive. Maybe dennis o'brien and his legal runners are scared of what happens if they chop it. So it's left there. In perpetuity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

How many listen to this show? With all the chopping and changing in schedules you imagine it is lucky to survive. Maybe dennis o'brien and his legal runners are scared of what happens if they chop it. So it's left there. In perpetuity.

TBH I reckon it's more of a case of "Meh, it ticks a box for minority special interest programming and is (probably) a very cheap show to produce." more than anything else. Show fills a slot on a Saturday evening and targets an audience that, to my knowledge, no other station targets. Win win win for DOB and NT really.

She wouldn't approve of soothers she would consider them as tool of oppression silencing people with no voice
    Thats the funniest post I have ever read. Still laughing.. cheers

Just turned on newstalk to hear dill. Within 3 minutes she had said "me " 3 times. So have turned it off. I have never heard anyone speaking so fast on my life. So can only assume she is speaking through a different orifice than I would use myself. In my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Just heard the advert on newstalk. I'm triggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps George could provide cover while she's on leave so to speak :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

that would be priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ratings would surge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I hear that her two listeners are organising a petition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

She was questioning vaccines on her twitter account a couple of weeks back

zoobizoo wrote: »

Was she? No doubt that fact will be buried and never discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Dils show is dreadful, even if you share a lot of her views its hard to listen to.

I get the idea that it would have been difficult for Newstalk to get rid of her without attracting bad publicity.

Hopefully they will accept and respect her decision not to do her show, and use the opportunity to get rid of her altogether.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

scotchy wrote: »
    Dils show is dreadful, even if you share a lot of her views its hard to listen to.

I get the idea that it would have been difficult for Newstalk to get rid of her without attracting bad publicity.

Hopefully they will accept and respect her decision not to do her show, and use the opportunity to get rid of her altogether.

She says she has major problems with Newstalk so presumably best thing now would be for them to part ways. They should respectfully note her ideas and views going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,035 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tried listening to her show the odd time, it was tough.

Poor presenter and she would be no loss to the station.

*in no way are my views based on her gender or race, I just think she's hard to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Jazlynn Savory Velour

Actually what are her JNLR Results like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I honeslty think 2 hrs of dead air might attract more listeners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

So not a full resignation then, just a stunt to publicise a bit of virtue signalling.

Ah Jaysus, Hook has been suspended so looks like the "liberal agenda" will continue !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Give Dil Georges slot.

Its only fair.

:)

bot43 wrote: »
    Give Dil Georges slot.

Its only fair.

yes and Dil is all about fairness. I remember Hook being on the programme a god while back and she all but climbed up inside him.

bot43 wrote: »
    Give Dil Georges slot.

Its only fair.

I think newstalk might want to keep listers to a prime time slot in the schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

NIMAN wrote: »

*in no way are my views based on her gender or race, I just think she's hard to listen to.

Its a sad, sad state of affairs when you felt you had the put in the bit in bold.

And it actually says an awful lot about the current Hook debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Was she? No doubt that fact will be buried and never discussed.
    zoobizoo wrote: »

If you are correct (and let me be clear I make no aspersions on your characters by stating that - can't be too careful these days) then I'm amazed she hasn't been taken to task about it by the 'media' who took George to task about the same topic.

*Just checked her Twitter feed and she does question if the antivax movement has some truth in it.......

*To be clear I have no problem with her raising a legitimate concern of parents, but its quite clearly double standards they didn't go after her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

NIMAN wrote: »

it's about her sexuality though, isn't it?!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Is there some sort of stink we could kick up on social media to get her taken off the program permanently? Seeing as that appears to be the way to get results these days.

Sounds like Ciaran Cuddihy?

Guest: "There's nothing more personal than a letter. Email is so impersonal, there is no feeling behind it. But a letter is written especially for you".
    Ciaran: "And how can people contact you if they want to find out more".
    Guest: "They can contact me on my email address...."

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement