Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where could I get a good vinyl record player?

Options
  • 17-12-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can recommend a store stocking vinyl record players. Went to Harvey Norman and Soundstores today but they had nothing. I know Argos has one but wanted to see what else is available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fitzgerald Electrical in town have a range of record players that have cassette decks, cd player, connection for mp3 players and radios built in depending on which model you like.

I heard the €129 one playing and the sound was pretty decent. Obviously not as good as a dedicated system, but better than I would have expected for the price. Comes in a nice wood/wood look finish and is not overly big. It had the record player, cd player, cassette deck and FM radio.

I think the other models were €99 and €119.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brendankilkenny

Kess73 wrote: »
    Fitzgerald Electrical in town have a range of record players that have cassette decks, cd player, connection for mp3 players and radios built in depending on which model you like.

I heard the €129 one playing and the sound was pretty decent. Obviously not as good as a dedicated system, but better than I would have expected for the price. Comes in a nice wood/wood look finish and is not overly big. It had the record player, cd player, cassette deck and FM radio.

I think the other models were €99 and €119.

Nice one, sounds like that'd be well worth a look. I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can recommend a store stocking vinyl record players. Went to Harvey Norman and Soundstores today but they had nothing. I know Argos has one but wanted to see what else is available.

I have a Numark TT1650, never been used, still in the box, unwanted gift, PM me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Nice one, sounds like that'd be well worth a look. I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow. Thanks.

If you're buying a vinyl player, get a good one if you want to hear the music as it was meant to be heard. No comparison between the novelty ones described above and recognised brands like Stanton et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

leakyboots wrote: »
    If you're buying a vinyl player, get a good one if you want to hear the music as it was meant to be heard. No comparison between the novelty ones described above and recognised brands like Stanton et al.

I agree with what you are saying, but the OP may just want something basic as a gift or to play some vinyl for nostalgic reasons.

That said, a dedicated system (with a wonderfully balanced Well Tempered turntable) coupled with a darkened room and some of my favourite records is aural heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 brendankilkenny

Kess73 wrote: »
    I agree with what you are saying, but the OP may just want something basic as a gift or to play some vinyl for nostalgic reasons.

That said, a dedicated system (with a wonderfully balanced Well Tempered turntable) coupled with a darkened room and some of my favourite records is aural heaven.

Sounds like something to aim for alright, but as said we're just getting into vinyl. If the interest grows we may take a look at some higher quality equipment. At the moment, the objective is just to get the ball rolling! Cheers for the posts though everyone!

Advertisement