Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to get back into American Football

• 09-10-2014 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,

I was a fan years ago and with the growth in Ireland and the UK, I'm trying to revive my Football past.

What I need is a team. How did you guys pick a team that you really cared for considering we are so detached ? How are the new jersey generals these days ? Any thoughts, suggestions on how to really feel apart of the game and a team ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You should be a fan of the New England Patriots, a truly amazing organization and you will have the added bonus of basically every other team and fan hating you.

Tis great craic altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Horselord wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was a fan years ago and with the growth in Ireland and the UK, I'm trying to revive my Football past.

What I need is a team. How did you guys pick a team that you really cared for considering we are so detached ? How are the new jersey generals these days ? Any thoughts, suggestions on how to really feel apart of the game and a team ?

Hi Moat_Cailin, why do you keep coming back here?

Is Moat_Cailin the one who was sending the abusive pm's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

kryogen wrote: »
    You should be a fan of the New England Patriots, a truly amazing organization and you will have the added bonus of basically every other team and fan hating you.

and soon (next few years) you'll have the rollercoaster excitement that is replacing a long term QB!

McG wrote: »
    and soon (next few years) you'll have the rollercoaster excitement that is replacing a long term QB!

Yep, just like 2001/02 all over again :)

The rookie QB we have right now may actually have a realistic shot at the job, time will tell but he seems to have something about him and who better to learn from and have as a mentor then the GOAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I picked the Giants because I adore New York and have friends there who also support the Giants.

Do you have anywhere in America you have a connection with?

If not I'd just watch a few games and see which team you find yourself rooting for. Sport'll do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Yep, just like 2001/02 all over again :)

The rookie QB we have right now may actually have a realistic shot at the job, time will tell but he seems to have something about him and who better to learn from and have as a mentor then the GOAT?

Is garoppolo moving to Denver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Is Moat_Cailin the one who was sending the abusive pm's?

Abusive is putting it lightly, but yeah that's him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

As a Chargers fan I would recommend making a selection from the East coast. you get to watch way more games without staying up till 3am on a sunday!!

dub_skav wrote: »

Didn't take long at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Follow the Titans if you want to start every season full of hope and expectation and then have those dreams crushed by game 2 :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

As a Chargers fan I would recommend making a selection from the East coast. you get to watch way more games without staying up till 3am on a sunday!!

Most Chargers games would be over by 12/12:30 on a Sunday I would have thought.

West coast teams don't get any more SNF or MNF than any other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How do you know this is the same person?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Most Chargers games would be over by 12/12:30 on a Sunday I would have thought.

West coast teams don't get any more SNF or MNF than any other teams.

Yea they're. Still prefer if they were on earlier! Maybe the franchise will move to London...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

This is a troll no?..... asking about the 'Generals' a team of the USFL that folded donkeys yrs ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Kinda like being a Man United fan. Even better when we support both.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    This is a troll no?..... asking about the 'Generals' a team of the USFL that folded donkeys yrs ago.

Hmmm, seems that way alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Leslie91 wrote: »

Its clearly the troll who sends abusive pms about abusing children to other members for no reason other than he doesn't like your posts. Same style of writing and posted in 2 of the 3 forums he mainly posted in with this new account.

Report it so lads, surprised the thread has got this far in any case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Horselord

Sounds a lil to much like man utd for my taste :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭tripperman

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I picked the Giants because I adore New York and have friends there who also support the Giants.

If not I'd just watch a few games and see which team you find yourself rooting for. Sport'll do that.

thats how i became interested in the chargers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭tripperman

Beefy78 wrote: »

thats how i became interested in the chargers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I find west coast teams are the ones I get to watch most because they play a good few games at 9pm Irish time.

OP
    Get involved in some sort to fantasy league or pickem pool.
    Them watch red zone.
    That way you van have a lot of diffetent interests every week.

That's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

For what? Choking lessons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Putin wrote: »
    For what? Choking lessons?

I wouldn't classify elway as a choker, I'm not sure many would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I wouldn't classify elway as a choker, I'm not sure many would

He may have been referring to Manning. But the label of Choker was very much attached to John Elway for 10 years (or so) of his career.

Personally I hate the whole "Choker" thing. It seems to be prevalent in American media, where everything is black and white and things must have a simple explanation.

I would dispute that either was/is a choker.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I would definitely dispute that Elway was a choker. For many years he was the only reason they ever got to the playoffs, to expect him to carry a team through an entire season is a big ask. Choker? No. Just watch "The Drive"

Now as to supporting a team, I'm not going to try and persuade you to root for mine, The Raiders. We're awful and have been for years. And it doesnt look like we're getting better anytime soon. But still every Sunday I sit down, log on to a game, tune into KSFO 96 to listen to them getting trashed!! And I wouldnt change it for the world. All I will say is this: choosse wisely, dont just choose a team because they are successful. And the most important rule: An NFL team is not just for christmas, its for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

I wouldn't classify elway as a choker

It was pretty obvious I wasn't talking about Elway and I've absolutely no doubt you know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Putin wrote: »
    It was pretty obvious I wasn't talking about Elway and I've absolutely no doubt you know that.

Well as long as you manage to get in an argument that's the main thing ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Well as long as you manage to get in an argument that's the main thing ;-)

:confused: Don't know why you're addressing that guy for, considering is was this nonsense that started it all. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92542391&postcount=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads I'm trying to get into NFL. Decided this year that Id try follow the Giants and watch on sky sports but don't think they've been on a live game this season.
    I try to watch whatever game is on but soon get bored with all the stopages and ads and can't get really get into it. Any tips?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Giants are on this Sunday I think. The 9.25pm game.

I record the matches and start watching half an hour or so after kick off then skip through the longer breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Lads I'm trying to get into NFL. Decided this year that Id try follow the Giants and watch on sky sports but don't think they've been on a live game this season.
    I try to watch whatever game is on but soon get bored with all the stopages and ads and can't get really get into it. Any tips?

Have nfl redzone going at the same time , either have dodgy stream up or the red button on sky.
    If you a getting into the NFL learn that its the competitiveness and excitement of the whole league that's very much the main attraction not just routing for your favorite team. I make a point of this since you seem to have taken favor to the Giants :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah, when there is a break of any kind, come on here and have a chat with the rest of us. Give your thoughts, ask any question about anything and you will learn more about the game and enjoy it all the more. You'll find its hard to keep up with the game sometimes while trying to post on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Buddy Holly, watch Red Zone for a couple of weeks to see if that improves your experience. As ibj666 has said, hit your red button on Sky Sports or stream it online. I have a feeling your enjoyment will increase ten-fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I changed my team. I pick the cowboys about 10 years ago for absolutely no reason, was never even in texas. The i watched a few games and decided to change to the 49ers 4 years ago. Purely because i was in san Francisco and its my favourite city I've been to in America.

Paully D wrote: »
    Buddy Holly, watch Red Zone for a couple of weeks to see if that improves your experience. As ibj666 has said, hit your red button on Sky Sports or stream it online. I have a feeling your enjoyment will increase ten-fold.

Watch on skygo so unfortunately no red button but i will look for a stream the next time online.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Stream whatever Giants game is on? Looking forward to this one actually, two teams I despise, hoping for about 18 interceptions, sacks and fumbles.......apiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Watch on skygo so unfortunately no red button but i will look for a stream the next time online.

You can get the RedZone on Sky Sports Extra on SkyGo if you watch it on the desktop site. It doesn't work on the app as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

If looking for it online of a streaming site, there are actually two redzones ( at least there were) one is done by nfl network the other by direct tv. The NFL network one is far better.

Cheers lads, red zone seems to be the beez neez.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Double C wrote: »
    You can get the RedZone on Sky Sports Extra on SkyGo if you watch it on the desktop site. It doesn't work on the app as far as I know.

Didn't know this - thanks! Have been missing redzone this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hard to imagine watching NFL now without Redzone of a Sunday.

Advertisement