Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boojum

Options
  • 22-05-2013 10:08pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm sure all the Galway boardsies have heard the good news that burrito bar Boojum is coming to the City of the Tribes.:D:) I'm sure that in a city with a very youthful population such as Galway and a huge student base Boojum will do really well.

But when exactly is it opening? I know that it is supposed to be opening "soon" but does anyone know just how soon exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

According to their FB page, the very end of May! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

sent them an email and she said early June at the latest. anyone eaten in their place up in Dublin? any good?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

jkforde wrote: »
    sent them an email and she said early June at the latest. anyone eaten in their place up in Dublin? any good?

Not dublin, but myself and a few friends used to live on the stuff in Belfast! Really, really good stuff, not the usual greasy nonsense you find in a lot of places. The guys who run this really know their stuff. Can't wait:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I lived in San Francisco for a year back in the 90s - fell in love with burritos there (and guys too!:D) and Boojum's fare is just as good as anything you can get over there.:cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Its open today at 2pm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I just read it's opening Saturday replete with the ambassador to Mexico and free cervesa.
    Boojum, Ireland’s first burrito bar, is preparing its opening party in Galway on Saturday June 8, to bring locals a true taste of Mexico.

Mexican dancers will perform traditional sets at 12 noon and 5pm, and the Mexican ambassador Garcia de Alba will be opening the store with a few words. Other celebratory perks include a free beer with any sit-in main meal, and other surprises on the day. The casual restaurant, which can be found at Unit 1, Spanish Parade, is the family-owned eatery’s fourth premises and will add to the city’s already vibrant and thriving food scene.

Boojum stands for fresh, friendly, and affordable food, serving a range of dishes such as burritos, tacos, and nachos. The unassuming burrito joint is currently Ireland’s largest importer of spices and chillies direct from Mexico, which chefs use to prepare each dish from scratch, every day. With freshly cooked food, complemented by a wide selection of speciality beers and hard-to-find hot sauces, boojum works hard to offer its customers a little slice of Mexico, many miles away from Monterrey and Mexicali.

John Blisard of boojum is excited about the move to Galway. “We have always wanted to open a restaurant in Galway and now that we have found a location that we love, we are excited to start making burritos and hearing what customers think about our food,” he said. “We really appreciate and listen to all feedback we get, so hopefully people will come in and let us know how we are doing.”

For the latest news on boojum visit Facebook.com/boojumgalway or follow @boojum_galway on Twitter.
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/61453/boojum-to-bring-the-taste-of-mexico-to-galway

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

just passed it there and chairs are down and sauces are on tables if that's anything to go by
    *doors are open and few beers out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

tumblr_lz5u8m9pzn1qlxcu5o1_500.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Das Kitty wrote: »
    tumblr_lz5u8m9pzn1qlxcu5o1_500.gif

Lunch date when I get back?:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Daisies wrote: »
    Lunch date when I get back?:D

You're on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

wonder what it's like compared to pablo picantes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

nom nom reports anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Was just in there. They were giving FREE burrito vouchers at the door and free bottles of beer while I waited (There was a queue). Free lunch! :-D

Eating it right now at home! Blows La Salsa and El burrito right out of the water imo! They also have a loyalty card system!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

It is a taste sensation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Used to go to their place in Dublin a lot. It's bloody gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Got there about 2.30. Conveniently, they opened just after I finished work.
    Got a nice free beer while waiting in the line and a free veggie burrito.

Staff was great despite it being the first day, very friendly. Like the look of the place too.

Most importantly, the burrito was really nice.

Will happily go back and spend money and time there.

While I like the guys at La Salsa, their veggie burrito doesn't compare with Boojum's. Haven't been to El Burrito so no comparison there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Where is this place exactly? Might give it a try after work tomorrow

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Great news, I'll be there at the weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

I too ate there today and it was amazing! I didn't get free beer though :( How do you all think it'll do in Galway? I feel it may be a little too out of the way for the college crowd and the area they are in is just a little too far from quay street to have random walk-ins. I hope it takes off though and I wouldn't mind late openings, I could imagine a burrito after a few pints would be a pleasant experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Forgot about it until it was too late but my voucher is good till tomorrow. Our musicians went up to have a look about half 8 but there was a serious queue so they ended up in Charcoal :-\
    Lookin forward to the veggie stuff even if I have to wait till things calm down.
    Pity they are planning on closing at 9ish though but it probably avoids a lot of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Just been in for one there. Very nice,blows La Salsa (and the other one) out of the water, fresh ingredients, lovely flavour, great range of different things to add or leave out at your request. Service was also very fast and friendly. Nice decor in there too. Only downside was they are only taking cash payments at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Was one of the first 5 or 6 people in the door yesterday. Was nearby and about to got lunch and saw their facebook post saying they were open at 2.

Landed in at about 2.05 with a friend, we were greeted with a free bottle of beer and a voucher for a free burrito or fajita and told they were running a little late so if we didn't mind waiting they'd keep up posted. We waited about 45 minutes before they finally stopped serving but while we waited we were well looked after. Another friend had wandered in and was sitting with us and by the time we got our Burritos about an hour had passed but we'd been given 3 free beers each and another voucher for another free burrito.
    the burrito itself was pretty damned epic, just as good as Belfast and Dublin branches and honestly as good as the likes of Chipotle and Moe's Burritos in the US and cheaper than either La Salsa or El Burrito @6.45 for a meat burrito. And blows both of them out of the water.

Just been in for a burrito myself a couple of hours ago, well impressed with it!

Good friendly service, the staff chatted and joked with me as I was being served which was refreshing and they offered me to try samples of the different sauces before I chose what I wanted. Plenty of fresh ingredients, decent price and most importantly the burrito tasted great, nice and fresh with plenty of flavour. Definitely be back again!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

All these glowing reviews are making me want it all the more! thank/damn you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wonder will Boojum's initial success inspire La Salsa to improve their offering, if i owned it id be in Boojum trying the food, seeing how they do it and trying to up my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Damn... I've really got to get me some burritos now. Where abouts is the place?

Spanish Parade, opposite Thai Garden and the Museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

Was in there today. Great set up and the food was brilliant. Produce a student card and its 5.50e. You get a really big portion, def the best I had in Galway. Iv a feeling Im going to be back there quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Got my freebie today. Excellent! Didn't get a chance to eat it till an hour later but it was still pretty warm.
    Will be back.
    Wouldn't be overly impressed about the 'poor' students getting a special deal though but that's probably for a different thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

It sounds kind of awesome. :P

Advertisement