Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Team for tomorrow night from mayo gaa site

1) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    2) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    7) Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8) Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
    9) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    12) Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
    13) Enda Varley - Garrymore
    14) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    15) Michael Conroy - Davitts

16) David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    17) Keith Rogers - Ballaghaderreen
    18) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    19) Kevin Keane - Westport
    20) Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
    21) Danny Geraghty - Ballintubber
    22) Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
    23) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    24) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    25) Cathal Freeman - Aghamore
    26) Alan Murphy - Ballinrobe

AOS back into midfield with Barry Moran

Cathal Carolan come in at half forward, to be honest I do not know anything about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

It's a must-win game for both teams. Down need the win to avoid relegation and Mayo need the win to be in with a chance of making the semis. Down were unlucky to lose against Cork last week but I still think Mayo should take this one. They're just not at the same level as Mayo at this point in time. O'Shea is back in midfield where he belongs and I don't think Coulter will pose the same threat as did all those seasons ago, either Higgins or Caff should be able to contain him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Based on Mayo's track record of terrible place-kicking prior to his arrival O'Connor will walk back into the side, if only because he's a bigtime free-taker.

The lad's still U21 so he has plenty of time yet to develop other aspects of his game, but that learning will be done from the starting line-up and not the bench. Shoe-in for Galway if he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Syferus wrote: »
    Based on Mayo's track record of terrible place-kicking prior to his arrival O'Connor will walk back into the side, if only because he's a bigtime free-taker.

The lad's still U21 so he has plenty of time yet to develop other aspects of his game, but that learning will be done from the starting line-up and not the bench. Shoe-in for Galway if he's fit.

As displayed this year Jason Doherty is a more than capable free-taker. I can imagine O'Connor,Dillion,Andy Moran will all be starters come championship time Varley,Carolan and Feeney to make way.

I don't think you can compare Doherty doing well at Sigerson and the league with the clutchness that was O'Connor's kicking in driving rain against Roscommon in 2011 in a Connacht final or Dublin 2012 and any number of big games in between. O'Connor is one of the most unflappable free-takers in the game and that's worth its weight in gold, trying to fix something that isn't broken is a fools' game.

Varley played well in that Dublin game but he's too anonymous in play even compared to O'Connor for me, Varley will struggle to hold down a championship starting spot while O'Connor is someone that Horan has invested alot in already - it's going to take a hell of alot for him to go in another direction at this point.

A possibility, but not a likely one in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Evan Regan replaces Keith Rogers on the Mayo subs bench. He one of Mayo's U21s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Terrible result, worrying for Mayo now

Another defeat for Mayo 13-11. From 9-4 behind Mayo did great to draw level if they went in front Mayo probably would have won it however, credit to Down they defended well and Donal O'Hare was the best forward on the field. Cathal Carolan played well for Mayo three good scores.

Down down down? All Connacht teams on dodgy ground right now except Leitrim, and they can't drop any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah we're in dire straits now, thought we'd sneak a draw from 5 behind, midfield was excellent, the ball been brought forward for the final lead score was crucial.Even O Hare was unlikely to have kicked it before this show of indiscipline.Lee Keegan had an excellent game, surprised Earley awarded him motm though,O Hare or O Shea really stood out.
    Some awful first half wides, Mayo have great difficulty with the swarm defence.Carolan was very impressive in attack, Conroy and Doherty showed well.Seems to me Varley and Feeney will struggle to make the team for the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Two wins should see us safe.

It might be no bad thing to not make the play offs. It would keep us low on the radar come championship time and dilute the hype of an easy Connaught Championship.

Carolan looks like a decent find, just about the only plus from tonights match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Did we dominate midfield? What were the main failings of the team? Miissed the game

Just in from Newry. Very disappointed with Mayo's performance tonight, another game left behind that should have been won. In the first half we just couldn't seem to get quality ball into the forwards, we are badly missing Moran and Dillon in this regard. Mickey Conroy was constantly being pushed out to the sidelines and yet again the missed goal chances proved crucial at the end. It looked like a few of our players had quiet games, Feeney and McLoughlin weren't their usual selves. The subs did well for the most part but Freeman did us no good at all, he didn't seem up to the pace tonight and made a few costly errors.

On the plus side our midfield worked well, the Down players seemed afraid of O'Shea whenever thundered through like a train and Cathal Carolan is almost certainly a shoo-in for the championship, very impressed with him tonight.

Conditions were poor tonight but it seemed to affect Mayo moreso than Down, we seemed to slip and spill a lot more than Down did. Credit to Down for powering on towards the end but the cynical fouling on O'Shea at the end was disgraceful, should have been a straight red instead of a yellow.

Also, one of Down's points was certainly wide, perhaps even two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Relegation battle certainly ahead now more so than last year. I still think we'll be fine but its worrying the lack of goal chances and not being able to battle to the end. Wonder is it fitness issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Didn't make the trip but saw it on the box.

Very disappointing to lose that game as I thought we dominated the second half.
    First half started well but we weren't able to hold any ball in the forward line, because of poor passing and Down crowding us out. Again, it has to be highlighted this is affecting us more now without Dillion and Moran. When they return we'll notice the difference!
    Our attacking play was much more fluid in the second. Moran came onto a game and the forwards were getting on the ball much more. It just seemed to slip away from us at the end but I will give credit to Down for hanging in there and being clinical when they had to be.#

Standout player for us was Aiden O'Shea, brilliant throughout and has to be one of the best players in the country on current form.
    Carolan done very well too, it was his first start and he looks a player.
    The defence were good, O'Malley hadn't a thing to do.

Frustrating night, a draw would have probably been enough but what can you do. The attention now turns to our home games which will decide what division we're in next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Again another loss where we should have won, can't seem to put teams away and let them all drag themselves back into games. the last 2 scores, the 1st been as soft a free as I have seen, were just stupid from our point of view. Same thing against Tyrone. I know they are young lads so maybe we can give them the benefit, but when you are staring relegation then benefit of the doubt can't be waited for.
    O'Shea was immense, B Moran was effective and took a lot of hits. Felt that Down were lucky with that challenge on Cafferkey, he was off his feet and hit him straight into the side of the head, very dangerous.
    MAYBE at this stage I should lighten up on Donal Vaughan, but again he was caught in possession and caught for lack of pace. I can't see him helping our cause. Keane played well when he came on.
    Thought Carolan had a great came, Micky Conroy was his usual buzzing self and DOC was steady, just hoping, like last year, that he doesn't be only a "league player".

I wouldn't panic, we are still ok and if you look back on the games we really should have won them, I honestly couldn't give 2 highland UFCKS about a league at this stage, we want to stay in Div 1, but there is one thing and one thing only we need to prepare for.

Once that team gets onto a good open, drier pitch in summer, it will cause havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

mayo cause havoc, :eek:

yop wrote: »
    Again another loss where we should have won, can't seem to put teams away and let them all drag themselves back into games. the last 2 scores, the 1st been as soft a free as I have seen, were just stupid from our point of view. Same thing against Tyrone. I know they are young lads so maybe we can give them the benefit, but when you are staring relegation then benefit of the doubt can't be waited for.
    O'Shea was immense, B Moran was effective and took a lot of hits. Felt that Down were lucky with that challenge on Cafferkey, he was off his feet and hit him straight into the side of the head, very dangerous.
    MAYBE at this stage I should lighten up on Donal Vaughan, but again he was caught in possession and caught for lack of pace. I can't see him helping our cause. Keane played well when he came on.
    Thought Carolan had a great came, Micky Conroy was his usual buzzing self and DOC was steady, just hoping, like last year, that he doesn't be only a "league player".

I wouldn't panic, we are still ok and if you look back on the games we really should have won them, I honestly couldn't give 2 highland UFCKS about a league at this stage, we want to stay in Div 1, but there is one thing and one thing only we need to prepare for.

Once that team gets onto a good open, drier pitch in summer, it will cause havoc.

Maybe and I hope you're right but if this team gets relegated I'd be surprised if they make an All-Ireland Semi Final, hope things improve, no signs yet that there has been progression from last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

awful quiet tonight lads.... missed the match because of work again but was it really that bad?? any sign of a team that could win am all ireland?

• Advertisement

tacofries wrote: »
    awful quiet tonight lads.... missed the match because of work again but was it really that bad?? any sign of a team that could win am all ireland?

Unless we get two decent wins out of the next three matches I would find it hard to see us progressing very far in the championship, the confidence will be gone. Big questions are being asked now and it's time for the players to step up. The return of Moran and Dillon aren't going to be any sort of panacea unless the entire forward line ups its game. We're seeing the Mayo of old returning where we can't close out games at the crucial moments. The team is good enough but at the moment we seem to have regressed from last year. It's all well and good peaking in August but not if it leaves us in Division 2!

Unless we get two decent wins out of the next three matches I would find it hard to see us progressing very far in the championship, the confidence will be gone. Big questions are being asked now and it's time for the players to step up. The return of Moran and Dillon aren't going to be any sort of panacea unless the entire forward line ups its game. We're seeing the Mayo of old returning where we can't close out games at the crucial moments. The team is good enough but at the moment we seem to have regressed from last year. It's all well and good peaking in August but not if it leaves us in Division 2!
    Ah sure weren't we in Division 3 in 96 and look what happened in September :pac:

But in all seriousness it would be a real dampener to lose Division 1 status not only for continued progress under Horan but nowadays, a need for competitive (to a lesser extent) action with the top teams before the Championship comes around is essential to make any push for August/September.

Agree its a worry 'old' problems are arising again IMO ever since that near Dublin comeback in the semi final last year. Few doubts in some minds maybe

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Ah sure weren't we in Division 3 in 96 and look what happened in September :pac:

But in all seriousness it would be a real dampener to lose Division 1 status not only for continued progress under Horan but nowadays, a need for competitive (to a lesser extent) action with the top teams before the Championship comes around is essential to make any push for August/September.

Agree its a worry 'old' problems are arising again IMO ever since that near Dublin comeback in the semi final last year. Few doubts in some minds maybe

I know your tongue was in cheek but it's a tougher road to the All-Ireland now than it was in 96, no quarter finals to contend with back then!

Relegation would set us back in more ways than one, confidence will be gone this year while we would be deprived of badly needed competitive games with the big teams next year. It wouldn't be the end of the world but I can see Mayo slipping back into the wilderness for a few years if it does come to pass.

Damn, reading that back it sounds depressing :(

I know your tongue was in cheek but it's a tougher road to the All-Ireland now than it was in 96, no quarter finals to contend with back then!

Relegation would set us back in more ways than one, confidence will be gone this year while we would be deprived of badly needed competitive games with the big teams next year. It wouldn't be the end of the world but I can see Mayo slipping back into the wilderness for a few years if it does come to pass.

Damn, reading that back it sounds depressing :(

I think you are being a bit over pessimistic there to be honest.

I have always though that progress in this years league was not as important as it was last year.

Last year Mayo had a long lay-off until 24th June before they played Leitrim in a semi-Final so the extra game in a the league semi-final and the final were required. And last year the aim was the top 4 at least in the league

This year they are out of the gate straight away on May 19th and have as tough a run to a Connaught tile as is possible, therfore a top 4 league finish eventhough desirable is not a must to keep them sharp. Division 1 status and player experimentation should be the goals of this league season.

they have already done a good bit of experimintation this year but the problem is that they have now got themselves in a bit of a hole. I had expected them to win 3 of their first 4 but instead they have lost 3.

They really need to beat Kildare at home next week and I see no reason why they can not, after that they could beat Donegal in Castlebar and that will be enough.

As for the Down game if was depressing to watch, but as the same time Down had a player that was really on top of his game that made the difference. Mayo still dominated midfield and lots of areas for most of the game.

Again the forwards need to step up and start taking points from distance when the opportunity arises, like always too much running down blind alleys seems the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

Any idea when the team will be announced? Assuming Ger Caff is out for the game...

GBXI wrote: »
    Any idea when the team will be announced? Assuming Ger Caff is out for the game...

Just saw it on Facebook.
    James Horan has made four changes to the team that lost to Down last weekend for this weekends clash with Kildare. David Clarke comes into the side in goals in place of Kenneth O'Malley, Seamus O'Shea lines out at midfield in place of Richie Feeney with Aidan O'Shea reverting back to centre-half forward, Tom Cunniffe replaces the injured Donal Vaughan while Evan Regan comes in to the side in place of Enda Varley. The Mayo Senior Football team to face Kildare in Round 5 of the Allianz Football League at 7.00p.m. this Saturday 16th March in Elverys MacHale Park is as follows:

1) David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    7) Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8) Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
    9) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    12) Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
    13) Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
    14) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    15) Michael Conroy - Davitts

16) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    17) Kevin Keane - Westport
    18) Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
    19) Shane McHale - Knockmore
    20) Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
    21) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    22) Cathal Freeman - Aghamore
    23) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    24) Enda Varley - Garrymore
    25) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    26) Alan Murphy - Ballinrobe

James Horan - Manager
    James Nallen - Runner
    Tom Prendergast - Selector
    Donnie Buckley - Trainer
    Dr. Sean Moffatt - Doctor
    Liam Moffatt - Physio

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Aiden o shea should be left at midfeild..good to see c o connor back on the subs bench anyway.id say mayo by 2.

Can't figure O' Shea at half forward.

Last time he was there was really to accommodate Gibbons at midfield in my opinion.

But this time it looks like an odd move in such an important league game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

seems Kildare have hit 1.4 without reply and lead by a point at half time.

Seperately, here's an interesting article for fans of GAA's leading talents over the years.

Mayo are in dire straits now. 14 wides to Kildare's 7? Another game without a goal? Losing the game by a point after leading by six points in the first half? What the hell is going on?!

We've lost 4 games on the trot that should have been won. Confidence must be very low at the moment.

Mayo aren't kicking points from far out enough. We're trying to burrow our way in through the defences. It was noticeable against Down and from I heard tonight it was the same story. Billy Fitz is saying that we're not making the final pass to the man who is best positioned to stick it in the net and it's costing us dearly. It absolutely has to be James Horan's first priority at the moment. We're in serious trouble otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mayo are in dire straits now. 14 wides to Kildare's 7? Another game without a goal? Losing the game by a point after leading by six points in the first half? What the hell is going on?!

We've lost 4 games on the trot that should have been won. Confidence must be very low at the moment.

Mayo aren't kicking points from far out enough. We're trying to burrow our way in through the defences. It was noticeable against Down and from I heard tonight it was the same story. Billy Fitz is saying that we're not making the final pass to the man who is best positioned to stick it in the net and it's costing us dearly. It absolutely has to be James Horan's first priority at the moment. We're in serious trouble otherwise.
    The goals have really dried up alright. Isn't that why Conor Mortimer was not being selected last year.....change of system to score more goals and he did not see him as part of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

It seems like we need to work like crazy through some basic schemes to get goals. The lack of at least one goal per game is looking like a proven problem at this stage and not just a run of bad luck. Horan is studious so I would say that's going to be all the focus from midfield up for next few weeks.
    Lack of a proven target man at full forward is the root source of the problem, can't create their own score or can't lay one on for the corner forwards so the square ends up dominated by the full back.

Relegation looms now lads. After a great 20 mins an incident rocks this Mayo side again for the rest of the game. This time twas Conroy missed goal chance/point not given which lead to the Kildare revival who got a goal from a very debatable free from a Higgins couter from the back.

But to play without a half forward in the 2nd half ya don't deserve to win any game regardless of style of play. Horan too slow to make changes and Feeney and O Connor were needed on alot earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

It seems like we need to work like crazy through some basic schemes to get goals. The lack of at least one goal per game is looking like a proven problem at this stage and not just a run of bad luck. Horan is studious so I would say that's going to be all the focus from midfield up for next few weeks.
    Lack of a proven target man at full forward is the root source of the problem, can't create their own score or can't lay one on for the corner forwards so the square ends up dominated by the full back.
    We have become very reliant on Andy Moran . Such a shame he got injured last year or who knows .....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very depressing,James Horan was very slow to make changes,can't fathom why he continues to tinker with his best midfield partnership Aidan o Shea and Barry Moran.We continue to turn over too much by going into contact before releasing the ball.Forwards failings continue with endless runs into cul de sacs.Free taking was abysmal,Michael Conroy only seems comfortable to score points via his hand.Totally agreed,our lack of goals is very worrying.Relegation seems inevitable,Cillian o Connor's return was a light at the end of the tunnel.

The most frustrating thing for me is the fact that every game sees the same bad habits, running into blind alleys etc. We looked so directionless tonight, no lead
    er on the field and tbh a very poor performance from management too, although that is becoming a common occurrence .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

In terms of improving consistency the team will have to be rearranged.
    1. AOS back to midfield
    2. Dillon/Moran back in, but in longer term this is a sticking plaster solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Was at the game on Saturday. Shocking performance after the first 20 minutes. Our forward play is absolutely clueless. At one stage Doherty won a free just inside the 45. He looked up to take it quickly only to realise he was the furthest player forward and had nobody inside to pass it into? Couldn't actually believe what I was seeing. Horan had taken Conroy off who was actually doing alright.

Serious question's need to asked of the management at this stage. They came in, got the squad well conditioned and as physically strong as we ever have been. We have been very poor on the line on a number of occasions, think back to the All-Ireland final, the numerous times last year and this we have had an extra man and how he has been applied? Horan has been tactically poor in how we played against Tyrone also this year. Now we face into 2 toughest matches to date to try and secure our safety in division one. Losing matches we should be winning is a worrying trait at this time of year.

I have to strongly disagree with the Conroy comment (and I'm not one to criticize players who do their best). However, in my opinion, Conroy should have been taken off at half-time. If I'm not mistaken he hit 4-5 wides on his own. The goal chance he missed in the 1st half was unforgivable, total lack of composure.

If you were to question Horan's subs, it would be the taking off of Evan Regan, who looked like the only player (in his 1st Senior start) who had confidence in his free-taking and general shooting ability.

The player's confidence looks shot, which doesn't bode well for next week-end, but they have a week to get it right again and they certainly owe Donegal one.

• Advertisement

I have to strongly disagree with the Conroy comment (and I'm not one to criticize players who do their best). However, in my opinion, Conroy should have been taken off at half-time. If I'm not mistaken he hit 4-5 wides on his own. The goal chance he missed in the 1st half was unforgivable, total lack of composure.

If you were to question Horan's subs, it would be the taking off of Evan Regan, who looked like the only player (in his 1st Senior start) who had confidence in his free-taking and general shooting ability.

The player's confidence looks shot, which doesn't bode well for next week-end, but they have a week to get it right again and they certainly owe Donegal one.

Fair enough, my viewpoint was at least Conroy was in positon and wining his own ball. I agree with you on the sub of Regan. A free kicker off the left-hand side is something which hasn't been addressed since Mort's departure, another issue which management have failed to address. I presume Cillian will be taking duties into the summer, provided he is fully back to fitness

Yeah, Conroy's strongest trait is that he is a good ball-winner, and very good for winning soft frees! But for me he doesn't score anywhere near enough. Regan, assuming he starts the next game, should be on all frees from the right (McLoughlin just doesn't have that confidence a free-taker has to have). Other than that I'd have Aidan O'Shea taking them, he's well able.

Agreed Cillian should be on all other frees from next week on, assuming he's fit. Can't say how much of a loss Aiden Kilcoyne is to that forward line. He's exactly what they have been missing all year. There must have been some disagreement between himself and Horan...

Yeah, Conroy's strongest trait is that he is a good ball-winner, and very good for winning soft frees! But for me he doesn't score anywhere near enough. Regan, assuming he starts the next game, should be on all frees from the right (McLoughlin just doesn't have that confidence a free-taker has to have). Other than that I'd have Aidan O'Shea taking them, he's well able.

Agreed Cillian should be on all other frees from next week on, assuming he's fit. Can't say how much of a loss Aiden Kilcoyne is to that forward line. He's exactly what they have been missing all year. There must have been some disagreement between himself and Horan...

Well he was one of the best club footballer's in the county and never got asked to trials apparently. Shame really, is it true he is now playing for London?

I heard he is working over there, didn't hear anything about him playing ball though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Very disappointing and once more frustrating. The situation with the free-kicks is 100% sideline and lack of management. Why are 2 players fighting over who is taking the free-kick?
    Settle on 2 free takers, once from each side not the BS thats going on at the minute.
    Horan is beginning to worry me a little, this chopping and changing of player and position doesn't help the team or the players. AOS is not a centre forward, never was, never will be.
    His goal chance at the start of the match was frustrating, the lad has 2 feet, use them. As for him taking freekicks! No chance, he misses more than he scores. Leave the free's to the lads who take them regular.
    Conroy had a bad day at the office.
    McLouglin was poor once again.

Its not clicking, we are not getting breaks and we are been rode by ref's, that said we are still panicing on the balls, clocking up too many wides and back to our "Mayo ways" of years ago.

Sunday is now critical, hope that Donegal are off the boil, but we need to get ourselves back in a right mindset and settle the team and the players.
    Am wondering if the loss of O'Neill has more of an impact than we realise.

yop wrote: »
    As for him taking freekicks! No chance, he misses more than he scores. Leave the free's to the lads who take them regular.

He can hardly miss more than McLoughlin did on Saturday night! He also has that bit more confidence that you need in a free-taker. Plus, he can kick the ball more than 30-35 meters, which seems out of McLoughlin's range. I remember O'Shea being a decent free-taker for the Minors as well.

Having said all that, Regan would seem to be a natural right-sided free-taker, took his scores very well on Saturday. Daft decision to take him off looking back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I wouldnt be panicking yet lads, its championship form that Mayo will be judged on.. Nobody will be thinking about the league if we beat Galway in Salthill il guarantee ye that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I wouldnt be panicking yet lads, its championship form that Mayo will be judged on.. Nobody will be thinking about the league if we beat Galway in Salthill il guarantee ye that...

Agreed. But it's not this year that's the problem. If we get relegated, it will ruin next year because we won't be playing the big teams in the Spring in order to get up to the level needed for Championship.

We need to avoid relegation; it would be a massive blow! Huge game vs Donegal, absolutely crucial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What are yer u21s like?

Staying in Div 1 is not the be all and end all but at the same time going into the Championship after having such a dismal league campaign can not be good.

They would go into Salthill in God only knows what shape mentally and could come out with their tails between their legs, and as we know they are not great in the qualifiers.

So they have to win the next two games, that will guarantee Div 1 football and give them a boost for May.

They can still win the League you know !

Win last two game finish on 6pts
    Hope Cork loose to Kerry and then top them on head to head, by beating them in the last game.
    Hope Donegal loose to Dublin in their final game, but we would still top them on head to head by beating them on Sunday anyway
    Hope Down loose to Dublin on Sunday so they are eliminated.
    Don't worry what Kerry do as we will top them on head to head if they beat Cork and Tyrone
    Win the semi final and final and there you go.

Easy !!!!

What are yer u21s like?

Mostly the 2010 Connacht minor winning team, they lost to Tyrone (eventual All Ireland winners) in All Ireland semi final in a game they should have won.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement