Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysterious Full Hard Drive

Options
  • 16-12-2005 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

This morning, I awoke to my always on iMac (1.6G 5, 10.3.9) to find that the memory had gone from about 40Gigs free to less than one Gig. I have looked all through folders to see if anything was accidentally duplicated (just incase my OS was playing funny tricks on me) and have had no joy. Have even powered on and off several times but to no avail. I have not had any software to auto update, have not loaded from iTunes or Limewire or any sites at all, and have just ran one demo software CD from one of the Mags, Mac Addict (that is the only thing I can half think has been different as of late.

Any ideas as to how to sort this one out without Mactivate getting involved or a total re installation of my OS??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

I dont have any experience with mac's but i assume there are partition utilitys available for it.... Check if you have more then you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

have you repaired permissions/checked the FS for errors?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You can't do a search for a file over one gigabyte?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 jakfrost

Try this app:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18635

then you might be able to shed some light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭edunon

WhatSize does what you're looking for, and for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

edunon wrote:
    WhatSize does what you're looking for, and for free.

And it did!!! Ed, man, that software kicks some big time ass! Found my problem was a duplicated entire memory sitting in my console folders so it was a simple as deleting one folder and I'm back where I want to be; 40Gigs free. Still unsure as to how it happened, maybe I saved as a folder unintentionally so if anyone has any ideas, do please let me know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Just for the record, "memory" is a term usually reserved for RAM, not the hard drive.

Advertisement