Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky on demand now requires HD sub

Options
  • 17-10-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I just discovered tonight that I will have to pay an additional €7.50 minimum per month for HD sub to even watch on demand content in SD!!!! We had been watching the west wing and when the first few episodes of season 3 failed to download I called Sky.

I was told that it was a quick decision that was recently taken by senior management. I think they see Ireland as a great big cash cow now that "austerity" has ended!!!

We currently pay over €100 for movies, sport, cartoons and basic pack plus multi room for 2 more boxes....yes it's a lot but with kids it works out quite well.

I am going to sit down over the weekend and look at alternatives. This move smacks of corporate greed and commoditisation of a previously included service.

I have zero and I mean zero interest in HD and the content in the on demand section is available in sd anyway so why do I now have to pay a premium for a service I don't want to watch box sets in sd?

Goodbob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Snap. Feel exactly the same. Not sure what options there are other than Netflix etc but I won't be giving any more to sky than I feel comfortable with.

BTW how did you last 9 years from joining to your first post?
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Yeah I rang Sky today to report that an error was coming up when I tried to download On Demand content and was told that you have to be a HD customer. This is massively taking the piss imo and I will be looking at alternatives to Sky.

We have our broadband and phone with Sky and with Sports it works out at around €140 a month. And now they want us to pay extra for a service that had been included in our package? No thanks let's see what UPC can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goodbob

I don't know how I lasted 9 years without posting!! Time flies by. I'm active on other forums for cars so I guess I joined here to keep an eye on things.

Anyway, I phoned sky back and explained everything to them and said that it was completely unacceptable to pull this stunt. I looked to remove any extras that we had to try and keep our bills the same.

Sky rejigged our offering in terms of package setup as we had been on discontinued offerings. It worked out to get the HD service so we could watch SD box sets at €1.90 extra for 12 months.

So if you ensure that your on the most up to date packages there's a chance that you might be able to get it at a nominal cost.

The good news is that we are back downloading and watching the west wing.

Cheers

Goodbob

• Registered Users Posts: 23,272 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How does the on demand work. I have hd but I saw wolf of wallstreet advertised. Do I need movies to watch that. I guessing yes.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I've been a good customer for 10 years, never looked for a discount. This annoyed me so much it forced me to ring, lad on the phone could do nothing, I'd say I'd have to push cancelling to get anywhere.

I've since done research & ordered an Alien 2 box off Tvtrade. More functionality than a Sky Box & zero monthly cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭IrishBlaine

Its only the Box Set's you have to pay for not the Showcase or the Catch Up function

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Shelly33

just had the same issue. not impressed at all. absolutely hate the thoughts of giving sky more money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

that is feckn disgusting carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Sky's greed has no boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mallagio wrote: »
    Sky's greed has no boundaries.
    Sky dont force anyone to sign up or pay any amount of money to them. Its an individual's own choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

muffler wrote: »
    Sky dont force anyone to sign up or pay any amount of money to them. Its an individual's own choice.

And your point is? I don't see anyone saying that Sky are forcing them to do anything.

Do you think it is unreasonable that customers who pay a lot of money to Sky are unhappy when a service that they were offered is revoked and the customer is asked to pay extra for it? Nobody is saying that Sky is forcing us to do anything.

What we are saying is that it is very poor form for Sky to make people pay for HD all of a sudden to access the On Demand service when it was previously included in our subscription cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Gerard93

I remember getting something from Sky a few months ago about this that I would no longer be able to accessing On Demand without a HD Subscription at an introductory offer of €7.50 for 12 months.... no intention of paying it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And your point is?
    My point is as stated above - Sky dont force anyone to sign up or pay any amount of money to them. Its an individual's own choice.

I don't see anyone saying that Sky are forcing them to do anything.
    No but then again perhaps people do realise they have a choice.

Do you think it is unreasonable that customers who pay a lot of money to Sky are unhappy when a service that they were offered is revoked and the customer is asked to pay extra for it?
    I agree 100% with you that its completely unreasonable.

What we are saying is that it is very poor form for Sky to make people pay for HD all of a sudden to access the On Demand service when it was previously included in our subscription cost.
    Same as above, Im in full agreement with you.

What I cant understand and detest is the number of begrudgers who come on here and make wild sweeping statements about Sky being robbing bastards etc etc etc and then resort to childish behavior such as referring to Sky in every post as $ky or Sly. The post I replied to is a good example where it was stated that "Sky's greed has no boundaries"

Trust me Im no fan of Sky but I am a Sky customer and thats my choice. Apart from the standard 30 notice of cancelling Im not under contract so I can leave when I feel like it. Its my choice where I spend my money for my entertainment.

There's a lot of things I dont like about Sky but I have to weigh those up against the service I am being provided with. If I felt strongly enough about some part of Sky's operations and their service then I would hit them where it hurts most be cancelling my sub. But I think I would stop short of posting silly comments on an internet forum which Sky couldnt care less about

Ok, I have a relation who is a project leader for Sky in the UK.
    I got on to him last night about our issue, he did however say there were changes coming just after Christmas which could see HD rolled into some new bundle, like the Family Pack in the UK.
    His advice was to get vocal online about this, firstly Twitter, apparently they hate bad press on twitter.
    Facebook wall posts aren't as obvious so these don't carry the same weight, top indexed google searches are next, like this thread.
    Make enough noise on twitter & the Sky Execs will definitely hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I got on to him last night about our issue, he did however say there were changes coming just after Christmas which could see HD rolled into some new bundle, like the Family Pack in the UK.
    His advice was to get vocal online about this, firstly Twitter, apparently they hate bad press on twitter.
    Facebook wall posts aren't as obvious so these don't carry the same weight, top indexed google searches are next, like this thread.

Does this mean that the €15.00 charge in Ireland for HD packs may go? As that really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Making Sky customers fork out for HD to watch box sets is ludicrous.

I can see more people turn to Pirate Bay type websites to download popular shows/boxsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭irishgeo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Does this mean that the €15.00 charge in Ireland for HD packs may go? As that really annoys me.

its already gone in the uk for some services. they prices are going up in jan 15 with the VAT changes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah I wouldnt be believing that tbh

Yeah I wouldnt be believing that tbh

He's with the company years, part of one team who dream up new enticing price structures & attractive ways to package them, says 90% of their stuff gets rejected by management so you need to not take it personal.
    Anyway, according to him there's a new offer on the table for Ireland post Christmas, we'll see.

mikeym wrote: »
    Making Sky customers fork out for HD to watch box sets is ludicrous.

I can see more people turn to Pirate Bay type websites to download popular shows/boxsets.

Sky were the first company to come up with an offering easier than torrents (never had Netflix so can't comment).

The whole industry is shooting itself in the foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sky were the first company to come up with an offering easier than torrents (never had Netflix so can't comment).

The whole industry is shooting itself in the foot.

like the music industry.

people are getting very tired of paying very high prices to sky.

If you were to get the full hd sports packages and movies and setanta, thats a whopping 120 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

irishgeo wrote: »
    like the music industry.

people are getting very tired of paying very high prices to sky.

If you were to get the full hd sports packages and movies and setanta, thats a whopping 120 euro a month.

My cousin was paying that until I got onto Sky for him, crazy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For what it's worth there was a report in the Irish Times recently that Sky don't intend to increase their prices in January in ROI.

You do get a far better box sets service on Sky (because of the HBO deal) than UPC viewers do. The UPC service started out promising but has died a death and there is very little on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

As I mentioned on another thread here, I emailed and wrote to Sky about this and, after a long battle, they have allowed me terminate my contract early with no penalty.

Not sure of their logic - I told them I would have been happy to continue with them if they gave me HD free for the remainder of my contract so that I could access box sets, but rather than concede that, they opted for the costlier option to them of losing my subscription for the remaining months and, for what it's worth, I get to keep the box and dish

As I mentioned on another thread here, I emailed and wrote to Sky about this and, after a long battle, they have allowed me terminate my contract early with no penalty.

Not sure of their logic - I told them I would have been happy to continue with them if they gave me HD free for the remainder of my contract so that I could access box sets, but rather than concede that, they opted for the costlier option to them of losing my subscription for the remaining months and, for what it's worth, I get to keep the box and dish

I'm doing similar in December, I've already ordered one of these
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/amiko-alien-2.html

Might have to get a Netflix sub for the kids but so be it

Advertisement