Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX 10.3.9 is wrecking my life!

Options
  • 04-12-2005 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi guys,
    My operating system has gone from bad to worse! I'm on a 1.8Ghz G5 with OSX 10.3.9 and about 6 weeks ago the calculator and a few random programs that come with the OS started "not responding". I didn't care I can do maths in my head :cool:

Starting last week, however, I can't access the sharing panel in Preferences, Safari won't open, Installer won't run, I can't run disk utility and software update can't do it's job - I don't know much worse it can get! :confused:

Yesterday I decided I'd back up all my music, movies and files and reinstall OS 10.3 from the disks and then update to 10.3.9 using software update! "Yay", I thought, It's working! I've spent all day saturday backing up but it's OK it's worth it cos I've given new life to my mac! But alas even though last night it worked this morning it is back to hell for me!

I don't know what caused it, I don't know how to solve it and so now i'm off to execute my beloved computer, wipe it completely clean and depsite the fact that I know there'll be something I forgot to back up, I'm still hopeful for a better life for my mac!

P.S. I'm delaying the execution order for a while to see if any of you kind computer marvels know how to fix my problem!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Maybe you can try this:

Boot from the Panther DVD, and open the Disk Utility. Then choose the drive on where Panther is installed, and say "Repair Permissions".

If this doesn't work, you already backed up your data you say, then you should re-install Panther again. Boot the DVD, open Disk Utility, in there you select the drive on which Panther is installed on, and then you format the disk completely. Maybe it's also a good idea to split the drive into two parts, like I did. I have created two partitions - a 7 Gig partition for Tiger (I use Tiger, it would be Panther in your case), the rest for all your files and additional installed applications. This way you keep all your apps, games, files etc., in case you have to reinstall again.

As soon as the installation is complete, try the combo updater for Mac OS X 10.3.9, not the one given in Software Update. After this, install the latest security update.

This should really do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 iSam

I've tried repairing permissions it didn't work but I'll try reformatting the disks and see if i can manage a partition as well!

I thought reformatting the disk would erase it though?

Cheers anyway I'll let you know how I get on!

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

I have found OS X very stable since I started to use it several years ago so I don't have first hand experience of recovery.

Try the following (if you haven't already):
    1) Boot from the Mac OS X CD (hold 'C' when booting) and run Disk Utility from there.

2) Try the Safe Boot mode and running fsck from command line:
    Using Disk Utility and fsck to resolve startup issues or perform disk maintenance:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Start in Safe mode:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

Plenty of resources online for troubleshooting.
    Best of luck.

Those were the first things I tried but to no avail! :(

I even tried ringing apple technical support! What a waste of time! they know so little it's unbelievable! - well so as not to generalise - anyone in apple technical support that i've EVER gotten through to knows so little it's unbelievable!

I've had macs for 7/8 years now starting with the orignal turquoise iMac and I've always found reinstalling more than enough to fix any problems! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Maybe you should have taken better care of your "beloved" mac in the first place and this wouldnt of happened!

I mean what do you expect to happen when you install microsoft software? ;)

• Advertisement

Hello Mr. Applepie!

Well I don't think MS office for Mac really accounts for my problem! Do you :rolleyes:

Since you have "borrowed" my MS Office and my Broadband connection I think you should keep your smarmy unwelcome comments off this thread! This thread is for serious comments only - Thank You. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

me thinks a re-install is the best way to go with this!!! hope it works out for ya....let us know how it goes

HomunQlus wrote:
    Maybe it's also a good idea to split the drive into two parts, like I did. I have created two partitions - a 7 Gig partition for Tiger (I use Tiger, it would be Panther in your case), the rest for all your files and additional installed applications. This way you keep all your apps, games, files etc., in case you have to reinstall again.

Thanks HomunQlus I have now erased and reformatted my disk and I even put in a partition as you suggested! It'll take some getting used to, as a little more care is required when installing new stuff! ;)

Let's hope it continues to behave well!
    Cheers for the help Guys! :)

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hey man. Yeah im on 10.3.9 on a 1.8 g5 myself.
    I had similar problems when I bought the computer about 2 months ago. A clean reinstall has sorted them out, but I sure am lookin forward to getting Tiger on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Have you tired the free utility called Preferential Treatment? It might help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

iSam wrote:
    Thanks HomunQlus I have now erased and reformatted my disk and I even put in a partition as you suggested! It'll take some getting used to, as a little more care is required when installing new stuff! ;)

You're welcome! Glad I could help :)

Advertisement