Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change to light sequences?

Options
  • 26-11-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Has there been a change to the traffic light sequences in Dublin city? I commute by bicycle in the morning and I've noticed an extra 5 minutes every morning just due to sitting at traffic lights! Specifically from leeson street upper through Patrick street. I haven't had a run in where I hit all greens in weeks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

A few changed due to the traffic redirections for the new Luas works. I noticed it a few days ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The first of the major changes at St Stephen's Green to facilitate the LUAS Cross City works was introduced on November 21st, which was the introduction of a right turn from St Stephen's Green South to West to facilitate cars from Leeson Street going to the car parks on Mercer Street and the surrounding area.

Hence, the sequence will have changed.

Next up should be the introduction of the right turn from St. Stephen's Green East to Merrion Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

lxflyer wrote: »
    Next up should be the introduction of the right turn from St. Stephen's Green East to Merrion Row.

This was introduced this morning, causing some congestion according to Live Drive twitter.

Images here

The communications about when these changes are happening and the effects have been atrocious.

There should have been far more publicity - nothing on the luas cross city website detailing exactly when these were being introduced, nor on their twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Dublin City Council are much more organised!

Its notable that Luas Cross City retweeted a DCC tweet on the 21st about the SSG South -> West changes, perhaps Luas Cross City don't have anyone doing PR at the moment? Bit of a joke if so.

• Advertisement

Oh they do alright, and based on her previous work at Dublin Bus some time back, I am dreading the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

lxflyer wrote: »
    The first of the major changes at St Stephen's Green to facilitate the LUAS Cross City works was introduced on November 21st, which was the introduction of a right turn from St Stephen's Green South to West to facilitate cars from Leeson Street going to the car parks on Mercer Street and the surrounding area.

Hence, the sequence will have changed.

As Mrs Beeton might have said....."First,close your multi-stories"...... :o

Or at least relocate them to beyond the Inner Canal Zone,then allocate one multi-story on each side of the Liffey to in-service TAXI layover,with demand monitored a lá Hailo...all on-street Taxi ranks to be STRICTLY regulated to a small number of Vehicles at any time.

The reduction in City Centre car volumes which would result from the Multi-Story elimination would in turn facilitate the better flow of Taxi's (and OTHER Public Transport).

However,how to "Compensate" the multi-national Multi-Storey operators would probably be the most important issue for our Politicians ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    As Mrs Beeton might have said....."First,close your multi-stories"...... :o

Or at least relocate them to beyond the Inner Canal Zone,then allocate one multi-story on each side of the Liffey to in-service TAXI layover,with demand monitored a lá Hailo...all on-street Taxi ranks to be STRICTLY regulated to a small number of Vehicles at any time.

The reduction in City Centre car volumes which would result from the Multi-Story elimination would in turn facilitate the better flow of Taxi's (and OTHER Public Transport).

However,how to "Compensate" the multi-national Multi-Storey operators would probably be the most important issue for our Politicians ?

I think you have to be somewhat realistic Alek and allow for some car access to the city centre - but it needs to be managed.

Advertisement