Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy traffic due to ridiculous DART level crossing timing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

"Crazy traffic due to ridiculous DART level crossing timing" should actually read "DART level crossing times, determined in the interests of safety have caused expected traffic jams"

An ideal thread would cover:
    - Why is this thing I noticed the case?
    - Information provided and discussed
    - Informed opinion formulated through widespread fact
    - Cup of tea and happy day to be had

Instead:
    - I noticed this, I have decided it is wrong
    - Information provided and discussed
    - Argument continues
    - Now obvious points conceded, but still fights for original theme
    - bbk sighs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

lxflyer wrote: »
    to expect them to be timing them to pass at a particular level crossing is I think pushing things to be honest.
    That's ridiculous. A bit much to ask them to be as efficient as possible? A bit much for a properly working system? Pushing it a bit it may be for what we expect - but not what could be achieved.

Zascar wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. A bit much to ask them to be as efficient as possible? A bit much for a properly working system? Pushing it a bit it may be for what we expect - but not what could be achieved.

That post is rubbish. To hazard a guess for same of argument at there being 15 level crossings across the whole DART line with maybe 5 of these being high priority and holding services at points to ensure that two trains cross these at a time, instead of the current staggered system would cause some silly delays, all because a driver wants to make things more efficient (for that car that is).

I am a keen driver, the first time I used Irish public transport in 4 years was last week and I can not for the life of me see anything remotely intelligent in adjusting DART services to cross level crossings at specific times to allow two DARTS cross at the same time.

In fact, if it was done chances are the waiting DART would be so close to the level crossing that it would have to close anyway. Wait, no actually! Lets let the "early" one wait outside that zone and then take off from a standstill as the second one comes in without needing to stop. But NO! Then they wont cross at the same time so lets slow the moving one down blah blah blah.

Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I appreciate some of the reasons which make sense - but I still wonder, could they not arrange the train times better so maybe two trains pass the junction at more or less the same time - to make things more efficient?

If two trains pass Merrion Junction at exactly the same time for efficiency reasons, then by definition aren't the next junctions both North and South of Merrion going to have the problem you complain about? i.e., two trains that are a few minutes apart leading to a long delay at level crossings?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I meant only at the problematic junctions. Obviously it would not work at all that would be silly. If even a small timing difference could mean slightly less traffic build up, I think its worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I meant only at the problematic junctions. Obviously it would not work at all that would be silly. If even a small timing difference could mean slightly less traffic build up, I think its worth considering.

You have an issue and its this.

DART passing level crossings gets in your way and you want it changed to suit you.

DART trains carry - in general - a lot more passengers than you. For the purposes of moving people around the city, they get priority and this is how it should be.

I'm sorry for you that you're discommoded by having to facilitate mass transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Has a car been hit by a DART in the last ten years?

cgarrad wrote: »

I haven't heard of it, but where are you going with it? Shortening times until a car gets hit and pushing back times back a tad or showing how the current system works?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

cgarrad wrote: »

The only hits or near misses between cars and trains in recent years on Irish Rail lines have been at accommodation crossings, which are unprotected by either lights and barriers. When these have happened, even when Irish Rail have had varying levels of culpability there has been a degree of user error and negligence at play.

In the North, half barriers are quite common on the Londonderry line, there have and there has been numerous incidents over the years. Conversely the LUAS has had very few crashes in 10 years of operation with numerous crossing points protected by mere traffic lights; this suggests that motorist mentality has a big part to play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Conversely the LUAS has had very few crashes in 10 years of operation with numerous crossing points protected by mere traffic lights; this suggests that motorist mentality has a big part to play here.

Very few serous crashes but plenty of cars have being hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I appreciate some of the reasons which make sense - but I still wonder, could they not arrange the train times better so maybe two trains pass the junction at more or less the same time - to make things more efficient? Or have a minimum amount of time the gates are allowed to be open for before closing again? Honestly I'm sure I've seen them raise for about 10 seconds before closing again
    With 10 level crossings on the DART and another 7 on the Maynooth line, that is impractical. You could time it for one crossing, but not all. That is before there is any disruption or delays.

Advertisement