Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Additional Irish Ferries sailings from 24 November 2013

• 16-11-2013 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

If i were to play devils advocate and dabble my toe into conspiracy theory territory I would say these sailings look close to the departure times of the stena line sailings that were opened up to foot passengers earlier this year! :D

Either way still great to see the extra options available though! :)

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/routes/dublin-holyhead/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

They should do that more often as the 14:15 would be popular especially if the Swift gets cancelled due to high winds plus the
    01:55 will stop the 4 hour wait in Holyhead for the first train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thomasj wrote: »
    If i were to play devils advocate and dabble my toe into conspiracy theory territory I would say these sailings look close to the departure times of the stena line sailings that were opened up to foot passengers earlier this year! :D
    It may be down to staffing arrangements at the ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Victor wrote: »
    It may be down to staffing arrangements at the ports.

The new times are listed to be operated by the Oscar Wilde.
    Will they open these new sailings to foot passengers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Rabbitt wrote: »
    The new times are listed to be operated by the Oscar Wilde.
    Will they open these new sailings to foot passengers?

There's nothing on the new timetable to indicate they won't be available to foot passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

There's nothing on the new timetable to indicate they won't be available to foot passengers.
    on their facebook page it was indicated that foot passengers wont be accommodated on the new vessel (Epsilion) which will be doing the route once interim sailings with the Oscar Wilde are finished.
    https://www.facebook.com/IrishFerriesOfficial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    They should do that more often as the 14:15 would be popular especially if the Swift gets cancelled due to high winds plus the
    01:55 will stop the 4 hour wait in Holyhead for the first train.

4 hours in Holyhead, God, I'm depressed at the mere thought !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

dd972 wrote: »
    4 hours in Holyhead, God, I'm depressed at the mere thought !

Thankfully stena line opened up the 02.30 sailing from Dublin to holyhead for foot passengers so that prospect can be avoided.

That's if your up for getting down to the port at 1-2am!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Thankfully stena line opened up the 02.30 sailing from Dublin to holyhead for foot passengers so that prospect can be avoided.

Not ideal but it makes things a bit more possible for people. Personally I think they should have it open for foot passengers as its not gonna be swamped by foot pax anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Rabbitt wrote: »
    Not ideal but it makes things a bit more possible for people. Personally I think they should have it open for foot passengers as its not gonna be swamped by foot pax anyway.

Irish Ferries looks like the better option to me, gets in at 5:25 which may just be enough time to make the 5:51 train connection

Stena Line is advertised as getting in at 5:45

Next train after 5:51 is 6:55 so an hour wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Either way still great to see the extra options available though! :)

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/routes/dublin-holyhead/

The main sailings of both companies have always been close together c. 9am/9pm from Dublin 2am/2pm from Holyhead.

The second ship has to operate more or less a mirror schedule to them as both companies have only one suitable berth each at both ports.

Both the Stena Nordica and this new ferry are ferries primarily built for Freight and car carrying and in comparison to the 2 cruise ferries on the route have less than 1/4 the passenger capacity. IMO this is a big factor in the reluctance to accept foot passengers on these vessels, the prospect of refusing freight or car bookings due to an excess of foot passengers is not appealing to them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I always thought that the similar departure times on the route were in case of a failure / bad weather / other factor with either of the two companies, that they would accommodate each others passengers / vehicles where possible?

Great to see extra the extra sailings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They are also adding a weekly Dublin-Cherbourg from 18 Jan. It will be an "economy" service.

Cost over Comfort.

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/news/news131127/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

How can they do that and the extra double daily Holyhead services with only one extra ship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

lxflyer wrote: »
    How can they do that and the extra double daily Holyhead services with only one extra ship?

They can't

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday have the 2 extra sailings while 01.55 departure on Saturday morning (Fri night) also operates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They are also adding a weekly Dublin-Cherbourg from 18 Jan. It will be an "economy" service.

Cost over Comfort.

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/news/news131127/

looked at some of the prices and it doesn't appear to be much cheaper than the Rosslare options (this is in August), though it will allow for more flexible travel options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I wonder if Irish Ferries are trying to compete with Celtic Link with this new service.

Advertisement