Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

babyless train carriages what an even better idea.

• 19-06-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Saw the thread on men only train carriages, I think a carrage reserved for screaming babies would be even a better idea because a screaming kids when spread out can ruin an entire peaceful journey for the whole train. :eek:

Nothing more annoying than arriving early to a reserved seat only to find some little brat yellling his head off in the seat in front 15 minutes into a two hour journey and usually for no reason.

Why can't carriers like CIE have designated baby only carriages? Virgin Rail have quiet zones where mobile phones and personal stereos are banned, I presume screaming babies are also banned. :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would they be smaller than normal carriages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

or just dont take babies on the train in the first place? Nothing worse than a early morning quiet commute ruined by a loud baby. GRRRR. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Now this I LOVE!

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Babies and parents often have to use public transport not everyone has a car.
    Still I hate being stuck on a bus/trian with some stupid bint who has no idea how to comfort thier infant, ok kids cry but ffs try soothing the little fcuker and looking like you give a crap about the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

would they be smaller than normal carriages?

No, just Lock them in the toilets, that would be small enough. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

"Please keep your baby in the overhead bin or safely under the seat in front of you". Has to be done!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

for your comfort and safety please sedate all children before boarding the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

speaking of waaa-ing babies I was in the cinema today watching the trainwreck of a Terminator film, and what was down in the front row?? A pair of stellas and their sprogs, I mean like who brings young children to a film like that? the poor script and acting aside, all those explosions wouldn't be the best for a young one to be listening to. I haven't actually gotten a train in Ireland in over 5 years, I dunno what I would do without my car, I don't think I could handle it. So I'm all for a separate carriage for the crying wayans.

The problem of screaming babies is even more noticible now that it ever has been because modern trains like the 22,000 series are so quiet. I was brought up with the clattering sound of the old craven and Mark 1 coaches which had open windows along with extremly loud GM locos that would drown out much of the noise. These days the sound of a screaming kid can be heard right down the whole length of the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Here we go with the separate everything ideas.

We're not long into the age where wimminz can sit on any side of the church they like and not separately, and already we have suggestions for a ''lads train''.

Naturally wimminz would have to look after the children, that means they must leave the carriage too.

For those of us not interested in looking out the windows at nature, what eye candy would be left to look at then?

Think about that!.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,121 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ruu wrote: »
    "Please keep your baby in the overhead bin or safely under the seat in front of you". Has to be done!:p
    I was about to say there should be a baby rack in the luggage stow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Babies on any public transport are annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Don't they have family carriages in the UK now?

It's not just babies that can be annoying, it's children in general. People allow their little brats to yell at the top of their lungs and make no effort to make them stop. I suppose they think it's 'cyute'

Or that the other passengers should think its an honour to listen to Bratleigh test the volume of her lungs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Quiet carrriages if they are run properly are great.

No Loud Conversation.
    No Mobile Phone Conversations.
    All Phones on Silent.
    No Music.
    No Noise Machines Children.

They have them in the UK, don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'd like to see carriages where nobody with an accent that I find annoying is allowed. I'd definitely pay extra. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Just turn the lights off in the quiet carraige
    Least you can grab some zzz's on the hour+ commute

Make the seats wider
    People who elbow me inconsiderately make me 'angry'
    Or better pull down/up an elbow barrier to the shoulder

Babies out FTW.

Its a train not a creche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Was on Cork-dublin train recently and they announced "all carraiges except the rear-most are quiet zones" etc etc, and all the rubbish about loud music and phones etc.

Demonique wrote: »
    Don't they have family carriages in the UK now?

It's not just babies that can be annoying, it's children in general. People allow their little brats to yell at the top of their lungs and make no effort to make them stop. I suppose they think it's 'cyute'

Or that the other passengers should think its an honour to listen to Bratleigh test the volume of her lungs
    "Family carriages" a nice way to put it.

The have enough CCTV on board all trains to police unlawful use of quite carriage, Ie if they spot someone with a pram or carrycot in the wrong carriage they can boot them off at the next stop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spylon

I find a plethora of irritants on trains; children on the rampage are bad, but I also have to deal with rude teenagers, extended mobile phone conversations, and loud, obtrusive discussions between people who seem to suffer the delusion that other passengers are mere holograms to provide some backdrop to their enclosed, solipsistic existence.

Obviously, one solution would be to categorize carriages, providing separate areas for people with children, people who want to read, people who want to talk, and people who think they may not be able to sit still for a while.

It is equally obvious that CIE does not have the capacity to organize something on this scale; just witness their pathetic "reservations" service - I swear I have seen reserved seats marked with a single napkin from the bar with an "R" written on the back in biro.

My solution is to wear ear-plugs. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Branson will save us!

• Advertisement
Advertisement