Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to find a job!

• 19-06-2009 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

well, im trying every place since christmas rite..no responce..i know i live in Limerick city but that shouldnt stop people from giving ideas, iv tried all the jobs.ie places and in not eligible for the dole! i dont think im the only one in this position so any feedback would be very benifitial!

iv tried EVERYWHERE except bars and bookies which i refuse to work in but there has to be other places!

cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the pheonix park, right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

what background have you got? You can't be picky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cearrbach

don't be an english teacher anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If you want a job so badly you can't be so picky as to leave out bars.

Try to get some Casual work like for a security company or something.

Finding a real job will be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Have you registered with FAS? It's by far the most efficient form of job hunting and expanding your qualifications =p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    iv tried EVERYWHERE except bars and bookies which i refuse to work in but there has to be other places!
    A place that isn't Ireland would be a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Bar work is tiring but it can be really good craic i'd love to go back to bar work tbh if i hadnt got the kids and i wouldnt drink the profits

maybe its different for girls?

Hit up FAS for a course. They'll at least give you the €204 per week when ou get on a course (which in fairness, will be easier than finding a job).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

i know i live in Limerick city but that shouldnt stop people from giving ideas

:confused: Why would this be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

In before this gets moved by the Dr.

I hear the import/ export trade is doing quite well, you could try to get into that.

*WARNING: this may result in a prison sentence, being murdered, or both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

qualification wise iv got a certificate in construction, getting a deploma in health and safety and finishing my last two years next year with a degree in construction management..i know not the best place to be in rite now..
    i did work for a labourer but he hasnt any work going, worked in sports shops, xtravision, tesco, cover a wide variety of fields..i even work as an event steward in thomond park with g4s like but still its only 5 or so hours a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Best way to find a job? Nepotism.

Probably not what you want to hear but an increasing number of people I know have got jobs as a result of family members or their connections.

So ask around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Well, I'm trying every place since christmas right.. no response.. I know I live in Limerick city, but that shouldn't stop anyone from considering my C.V. I've tried all of the jobs.ie vacancies, and I don't qualify for the dole! I don't think I'm the only one in this position, so any feedback would be very helpful.

I've tried everywhere. Except bars and betting offices, which I refuse to work in but there has to be other places!
    cheers!

Try looking at your over all approach. Throwing your C.V. in all directions won't do much if the presentation isn't correct. I just gave your post a quick once over (see above), and I hope you are being careful with your applications. You have to remember that your C.V. is their first impression of you. It is also a sales document, selling you. It's the very first chance you get to impress, you cannot take that for granted. In the interview, your clothes and general appearance are the very next impression, followed by what you have to say for yourself. Educate yourself a little on every position you apply for, vacancies generally go out to people with experience first, followed sharply by a very obvious interest.

... sh1t this is AH :o You get what I mean though :)

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    :confused: Why would this be??

in case people say its only relivent in the limerick area as this is a nation wide section, but i thought it would be more suitable here as people can post theyre ideas etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

tribulus wrote: »

Probably not what you want to hear but an increasing number of people I know have got jobs as a result of family members or their connections.

So ask around.

I would say that nowadays, easily 9 out of 10 minimum wage type jobs are given to relatives/ friends of the people offering the jobs. Every one of my mates with a bit of work got it by knowing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

tribulus wrote: »

+1 This is Ireland. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

cearrbach wrote: »
    Don't be an English teacher anyway! :pac:

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Research what type job you want, find the exact position in the company you want, research the person in that job and kill them and apply for the job or kill them and assume their life and their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,387 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

golden pages... keep calling random companies, when they answer pretend that they called you... eventually if you are lucky you'll get an awkward person whos not sure what to say and to make conversation they'll offer you a job... or maybe you'll find somebody who doesn't like their job and they'll offer it to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

well, im trying every place since christmas rite..no responce..

Check your C.V. for spelling for starters...

Check your C.V. for spelling for starters...

the cv is flawless..i had to make a cv as part of one of my projects in collage for the recruitment fair so it would have be spot on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

the cv is flawless..i had to make a cv as part of one of my projects in collage for the recruitment fair so it would have be spot on!

Yeah but you should have multiple versions of your CV. You said you're applying for loads of different types of jobs...you can't send them all the same CV. You should make your CV apply to the job that you're applying for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Being from limerick I'd say your pretty handy with a knife :D have you applied to any butchers yet? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Did it end up looking like one of those ransom notes with each letter cut out of a magazine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Taylor your cv and your covering letter to the job your applying for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Have you been giving out your C.V.? So many people are applying now that the slightest spelling mistake in your C.V. will result in in being thrown in the bin.

I have seen so many sh*t CVs over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Is there a careers office in the institution where you got your degree/diploma? They'll give you some good tips on where to look, also they'll be able to make suggestions on your CV.

There is no such thing as a flawless C.V. All CVs can be improved upon and you cannot use the same C.V. for every job. You have to tailor it to the job that you are applying for. It can't be as good as you claim if you can't find work as there is plenty out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

kingtut wrote: »
    there is plenty out there.

Sure there is! I'm loving this booming economy!

:rolleyes:

Sure there is! I'm loving this booming economy!

:rolleyes:

Me too, I got a pay increase and a better job :)

Well I currently reside in Cork city and almost every shop have notices looking for full and part-time too. Most of the restaurants have the same. I see tons of jobs advertised every day. It's not hard to find a job if people looking for them are willing to get off their ass*s and find them.

I know some people struggle but THERE IS jobs out there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Well you could whore yourself out to a thousand fat chicks for €50 a piece.
    Or you could whore yourself out to a hundred realy fat chicks for €500 a piece.

Don't look at me like that.
    Fat chicks need love too...but they've gotta pay!

[/Quagmire]

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Well you could whore yourself out to a thousand fat chicks for €50 a piece.
    Or you could whore yourself out to a hundred realy fat chicks for €500 a piece.

Don't look at me like that.
    Fat chicks need love too...but they've gotta pay!

[/Quagmire]

Are you in that line of work yourself? You seem to know the going rates anyway ;)

Are you in that line of work yourself? You seem to know the going rates anyway ;)

Yes as it happens..
    Women pay me for sex.
    It's a good job but the hours are long and it often interfiers with my spare time.

Between that, my international being awesome career, and playing Duke nukem forever, I hardly have any free time anymore.

Only last week I missed an arangement I had with Jimi Hendrix to go Horse Riding.. under the sea!!

Yes as it happens..
    Women pay me for sex.
    It's a good job but the hours are long and it often interfiers with my spare time.

Between that, my international being awesome career, and playing Duke nukem forever, I hardly have any free time anymore.

Only last week I missed an arangement I had with Jimi Hendrix to go Horse Riding.. under the sea!!

I'd love to see your C.V. :p

• Advertisement

I'd love to see your C.V. :p

It's longer than the Bible and printed on pure energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,119 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's longer than the Bible and printed on pure energy.

So, by the time they've finished reading it, you'll be drawing your pension and will be too old for the job anyway (unless they need a test-pilot for Zimmer-frames.).:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I have a cv and then I tailor my cv with what jobs I've done in the past relating to that job not just my previous 3 jobs. Then i use my covering letter to match the out line of the job to my cv to show, i can actually think for my self cv's are a robotic peace of peaper that tells the employer oh U've been doing this that and the other, covering letters shows the potential employer that you can think for your self relate previous experience to the job at hand.. which tends to work..

Advertisement