Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA/College Football - 2015 Discussion

Options
  • 09-08-2015 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Figure it's about time to kick this thread off. Today's big news is that Oregon backup RB Thomas Tyner will miss the 2015 season due to injury. Taj Griffin and Tony Brooks-James expected to compete to be Royce Freeman's backup. Byron Marshall not expected to convert back to RB and will stay as a WR.

Other main stories of the off-season:

- Braxton Miller remains at Ohio State, converts to WR. Urban Meyer won't comment on who will start between J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones.

- High profile transfer Vernon Adams still not training with Oregon due to not yet graduating from Eastern Washington. Jeff Lockie taking all 1st team snaps.

- The lawsuit behind the controversial move by defensive coordinator John Chavis from LSU to Texas A&M rumbles on. Chavis was allegedly recruiting for Texas A&M back in January while stile technically an LSU employee. Lawsuit aside, it's a huge get for A&M as Chavis is arguably the best DC in college football.

- The controversial dismantling of UAB's football program was undone. They will resume football in 2017.

- Pre-season coaches poll has Ohio State as #1, unsurprisingly. TCU, Alabama, Baylor and Oregon round out the top 5.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

As far as hype videos go, I don't think you'll beat this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Notre dame are close to agreeing a deal for a hard knocks type show. Deal could be done today aparently

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

nerd69 wrote: »
    Notre dame are close to agreeing a deal for a hard knocks type show. Deal could be done today aparently

That's going to be a big help in recruiting.
    They have been struggling to get the 5 star recruits in the last couple of years.
    For a 17 year old getting to be on college version of Hard Knocks has to be very appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Penn State's consent decree's repeal means even more scholarships that the full 25 contingency, because those that enrolled in earlier programs are allowed to count their scholarships to the previous year's class. NCAA has ended their bowl ban. They get their wins restored, and Joe Paterno is again winningest coach. And a damn bunch of fine players are now on the team. It’s gonna be a good year for PSU.

They have been struggling to get the 5 star recruits in the last couple of years.
    For a 17 year old getting to be on college version of Hard Knocks has to be very appealing.

Hopefully. If brian kelly used it right It could be massive they look set for a big year with most of there team returning if they can get into the playoffs combined with hard knocks they could get back up to the top of the recruiting charts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Jamarcus that hype video is private... Apparently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

The reason Notre Dame and schools like them struggle for 5 star recruits is down to how important the academic side of things come in to play when it comes to their student athletes. Wisconsin have seen a huge decline is 4 and 5 star recruits due to the academic policy they changed putting more emphasis on education for recruits. The tougher you make the education requirements the least amount of 4 and 5 star guys you are going to get.

Of course a lot of people will disagree with that and say it is a generalization but it is starting to get more noticeable. Was a good article I read on it recently will add to post when I get home.

JCTO wrote: »
    The reason Notre Dame and schools like them struggle for 5 star recruits is down to how important the academic side of things come in to play when it comes to their student athletes. Wisconsin have seen a huge decline is 4 and 5 star recruits due to the academic policy they changed putting more emphasis on education for recruits. The tougher you make the education requirements the least amount of 4 and 5 star guys you are going to get.

Of course a lot of people will disagree with that and say it is a generalization but it is starting to get more noticeable. Was a good article I read on it recently will add to post when I get home.

i think there is no doubt you are right and the irish will never be alabama because of that but every year there is a few 4/5 stars that they miss so there is the players there with satisfactory academics its just they are consistently missing out on there biggest recruits (outside of o-line that is)

incidentally i know academics has always been a big deal at notre dame but have they become more strict on it recently? like i know randy moss was supposed to go there before he was arrested he does not seem like the straight as type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Northwestern, Missouri, Ohio State, Illinois, Penn State, Kansas and West Virginia also are listed in top 10 colleges/universities for academics, and have powerhouse sports teams. And a few of them consistently contend for the title. Ohio State took it all last year. It's all about recruitment and conferences. Norte Dame languishes in the Independent Conference. I don't understand why they haven't moved into something like the Big 10 yet.

Amerika wrote: »
    Northwestern, Missouri, Ohio State, Illinois, Penn State, Kansas and West Virginia also are listed in top 10 colleges/universities for academics, and have powerhouse sports teams. And a few of them consistently contend for the title. Ohio State took it all last year. It's all about recruitment and conferences. Norte Dame languishes in the Independent Conference. I don't understand why they haven't moved into something like the Big 10 yet.

When it comes to recruiting if we were to go with player ranking ND and Ohio State are similar in recruiting. ND actually had a solid class in comparison to the schools you mentioned. Coaching large part of how these schools compete and also the conferences they are in.

WVU
    5 - 0
    4 - 3
    3 - 17
    2 - Handful of 2 or no star recruits

NW
    5 - 0
    4 - 0
    3 - 20
    2 - Handful

PSU
    5 - 0
    4 - 8
    3 - 14

Illinois
    5 - 0
    4 - 2
    3 - 16
    2 - 8

Missouri
    5 - 1
    4 - 2
    3 - 17

OSU
    5 - 1
    4 - 15
    3 - handful 3 or less

ND
    5 - 0
    4 - 14
    3 - 9

Kansas
    5 - 0
    4 - 0
    2-3 Pretty much all 2-3 star recruits

Looking at the recruiting above and the fact you say those schools are the Top 10 kind of shows a pattern of academics and recruiting the best recruits. I bet you if we were to put up the SEC schools there would a lot more 4 and 5 star commits on there and lets face it the south is never really concerned with the academic side of things.

As I said above Coaching plays a large role on getting the best out of players and being able to compete when you don't get the so called high ranked HS recruits. Academics most definitely plays a large role in recruiting.

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    Jamarcus that hype video is private... Apparently?

My bad, just changed it to Public. Should work now!

Edit: Also, pretty sure OSU have two 5 star recruits. Joey Bosa's younger brother and Kareem Walker.

As far as hype videos go, I don't think you'll beat this one.

That is a class hype video.

Edit: Also, pretty sure OSU have two 5 star recruits. Joey Bosa's younger brother and Kareem Walker.

Yup you are right the list i pulled was out of date but overall the numbers are similar.

JCTO wrote: »
    Yup you are right the list i pulled was out of date but overall the numbers are similar.

Just had a look actually and Walker isn't a consensus 5 star recruit. 247 have him as 5 star but Rivals/ESPN have him as 4 star so that's probably why.

That is a class hype video.

Here's another one from last year that is one of the best I've seen. This guy makes unbelievable videos, and his handling of the Kick Six gives me goosebumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Cannot wait for the start of the season. So many plots and intertwining stories. Its going to be a rollercoaster of a season.

I think this year is wide open for a come from nowhere winner from a lessor known program. All the conferences look very tight and its nigh on impossible to pick the 4 playoff teams!

I think Ohio will choose Barrett out of fear and they will suffer for it. Barrett is top class but I can see him in very tight games throughout the season and I think Ohio will drop one or maybe two games with the defence under too much pressure. Michigan State might win the Big10 IMO.

With Jones, they have that extra weapon that opens up the backfield for Elliot and I think they outscore almost every opponent.

The SEC is wide open, I felt Auburn all summer but as the season approaches I'm doubting those feelings. Will Bama find a way? Will it finally click for Georgia? Are the Vols the sleeper?

The PAC 12 is the same. The hype around the LA schools is huge, but is it warranted? Can Oregon hold on to their conference? I wouldn't rule them out yet.

The Big 12 is going to be its usual shootout. Baylor and TCU see it as between them, but there is a real Outlyer in Oklahoma and there are other mines in that division if they switch off!

The ACC is really hard to predict also, if Golson clicks FS have a chance, if not I can see Georgia Tech grinding it out and beating out Clemson and FS for a famous conference title.

An amazing season ahead.

Next week's televised games:

Thursday 3 September
    11.00pm – North Carolina vs South Carolina (ESPN)
    2.00am – TCU @ Minnesota (ESPN)

Friday 4 September
    Midnight – Baylor @ SMU (ESPN)
    3.15am – Washington @ Boise State (ESPN)

Saturday 5 September
    5.00pm – Stanford @ Northwestern (ESPN)
    8.30pm – Louisville vs Auburn (ESPN)
    8.30pm – BYU @ Nebraska (BT Sports 2)
    Midnight – Arizona State vs Texas A&M (BT Sports 1)
    1am – Wisconsin vs Alabama (ESPN)

Monday 7 September
    1.00am – Ohio State @ Virginia Tech (ESPN)

BYU @ Nebraska could be a cracker!

http://vipbox.biz/football/watch-1kd39-north-dakota-state-bison-vs-montana-grizzlies

Been a cracker so far, Montana about to get the ball back down 35-31 with 1:40 to go.

Montana with the ball at the goalline! 1st and goal with 15 seconds left. NDSU facing possibly only their 4th defeat in their last 62 games.

• Advertisement

3 seconds left, 4th and goal at the 1 - doesn't get any more dramatic than this!

They've done the impossible! NDSU have been beaten on Day 1 :eek:

http://vipbox.biz/football/watch-1kd39-north-dakota-state-bison-vs-montana-grizzlies

Been a cracker so far, Montana about to get the ball back down 35-31 with 1:40 to go.

The stream cut out on 4th and goal with 6 seconds left.

Worked fine for me!

I am confused. What is the FCS?

Worked fine for me!

Not giving out to you. Just my crappy laptop. Great ending. Couple of long fourth down passes on that drive as well.

I am confused. What is the FCS?

Basically a lower division. Like the Championship is to the Premier League.

Great coverage by BT this weekend. About 12 games live in HD. Top class.

Any accums that people are confident of??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

FSU name Golson as starter.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    FSU name Golson as starter.

Big call, interesting to see how it plays out.

For me I think Jimbo is taking the sensible gamble. If FSU are to win the acc they need Golsen performing.

Advertisement