Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentlemen's Club Book Club 2 - The Final 3

Options
  • 21-10-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭

The central concept is that gods and mythological creatures exist because people believe in them. Immigrants to the United States brought dwarves, elves, leprechauns, and other spirits and gods with them, but their power is diminished as people's beliefs wane. New gods have arisen, reflecting America's obsessions with media, celebrity, technology, and illegal drugs, among others.
    More information and synopsis here.
    NOTE: Contains massive amounts of Spoilers.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

What book should we read next? 11 votes

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
    0% 0 votes
    Digital Fortress - Dan Brown
    81% 9 votes
    Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
    18% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I suggested this one ;)

From Wikipedia;

When the United States' National Security Agency's code-breaking machine encounters a mysterious and ingeniously complex code called Digital Fortress that it cannot break, the agency calls in Susan Fletcher, a brilliant mathematician and their head cryptographer, to crack it. Fletcher discovers that the code, which is written in Japanese, is a viral program designed to break down the NSA's firewall and encryption systems, allowing anyone anywhere to access all of the NSA's files. She also discovers that it was written by Ensei Tankado, a former NSA employee who became displeased with the NSA's intrusion into people's private lives. Tankado, essentially holding the NDS hostage, intends to auction the code's algorithm on his website, and release it for free if he dies, threatening to cripple U.S. intelligence. Fletcher, along with her fiancé, David Becker, a skilled linguist with eidetic memory, are thrust into a global chase that takes them from Washington, DC to the towers of Tokyo to the cathedrals of Seville, Spain, where they must find a way to stop the spread of the code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Fortress

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

As we had a deadlocked vote on the last go, here as suggested is a new poll with the top 3 options with a little blurb on each book to help you make your mind up!

Quick synopsis from Wikipedia
    Shantaram is a 2003 roman à clef written by Gregory David Roberts, a convicted Australian bank robber and heroin addict who escaped from Pentridge Prison and fled to India where he lived for 10 years.

Shantaram is a novel influenced by real events in the life of the author, Australian Gregory David Roberts, filled with mostly fictional adventures. In 1978, Roberts was sentenced to nineteen years' imprisonment in Australia after being convicted of a series of armed robberies of building society branches, credit unions, and shops, which he had committed to feed a heroin addiction after his marriage ended and he lost his daughter. In July 1980, he escaped from Victoria’s Pentridge Prison in broad daylight, thereby becoming one of Australia's most wanted men for the next ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Heh heh heh. Deadlocked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Heh heh heh. Deadlocked again.

Brilliant! We'll have to flip a fúcking coin next!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Brilliant! We'll have to flip a fúcking coin next!
    Nah. It's got to be a game of rock paper scissors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I went with American Gods. Seems interesting, I've read Digital Fortress. It's the usual Dan Brown novel format.

When does this poll expire?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've started rereading American Gods in anticipation that it will win :)

I should close the poll shouldn't I? :D

Don't know when it expires to be honest, I'm not running the club :)

r3nu4l wrote: »

Just ordered it myself. Decided it'd be worth a read even if it didn't win the vote. :)

• Advertisement

snap

I bought it at the weekend and am really liking it so far.

How about Friday for a cutoff point? any objections? Trout?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

r3nu4l wrote: »

Epic fail on my behalf! I started reading Shantaram as I thought it was going to win the first poll :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Epic fail on my behalf! I started reading Shantaram as I thought it was going to win the first poll :o

Ah well American Gods hasn't won yet so I could be joining you in Fail land :) It is a good book though and I'm happy to reread it.

right so

i think the votes are in. I'll lock this now, I think we can say that it's American Gods next

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement