Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla 2007 v Toyota Corolla 2007 NEW MODEL

Options
  • 16-06-2008 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, is it worth paying the extra for the newer 2007 model - probably €1500 in the difference?

Am in the market for a second hand reliable, cheap to run car! Not interested really on how it looks - with the price of petrol/diesel at the moment, economy is number one on the agenda!!

Would be interested in hearing comments. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

suitseir wrote: »
    Am in the market for a second hand reliable, cheap to run car! Not interested really on how it looks - with the price of petrol/diesel at the moment, economy is number one on the agenda!!

TBH, depreciation is the biggest cost when it comes to running a newer car. Others on this forum will know more than I will about this, but I would estimate the depreciation on a 2007 Corolla to be about €3,000 yearly, whereas your total cost of fuel is going to be between €1,500 and €2,500 depending on mileage, driving style, etc.

Why not go for an 02 or 03 car if economy is your no 1 priority? Most of the depreciation will have already happened and you'll be able to put the money saved into your back pocket, plus you'll have a little bit more freedom as regards engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thanks for that. My present vehicle is an 01 so I want to come up in years anyway and as well as economy, low mileage is also on the agenda. But I can see where you are coming from!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A Corolla won't be the most economical car as the 1.4 will be stretched by the weight. If you can get a 1.6 it might be worth it for economy, otherwise go for something like a Focus 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

05 and 06 Corollas are now good value, with the new model out, aim for a 1.4 D-4D saloon for the best value for money (hatches still very pricey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

@colm_mcm: how come the current Corolla is comprehensively outselling the Auris(which is a Corolla hatchback really) yet before it was always the other way around when they didn't give the saloon and hatchback different names?

For the OP: a Fiesta, Fabia, Yaris etc is what you need for frugality. A Corolla 1.4 officially does around 42 mpg, only 1 mpg better officially than my 1.8 Volvo S40:eek:!

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    @colm_mcm: how come the current Corolla is comprehensively outselling the Auris(which is a Corolla hatchback really) yet before it was always the other way around when they didn't give the saloon and hatchback different names?

In Ireland the saloon was the bigger seller on the old model too.

SIMI sales figures include Corolla Verso figures in Corolla sales (IIRC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Didn't realise that, sorry. But there certainly were far more hatchbacks sold than now when they were all called Corollas, weren't there?

they've only been called Auris for a very short period. I don't have the figures to hand, but I reckon that last year they sold as well as the Corolla hatch was in 2002. Given that the Corolla was on sale here from 2002 to 2007, there's obviously more of them on the road.
    The new Corolla saloon is selling very well, now that supply has improved somewhat.

Advertisement