Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Friends vote 'No' for me (please!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Benfatto wrote: »
    Should Ireland vote 'No' they will probably use the same old tactic as they did with the Nice treaty: hold referendums until Brussels gets the desired answer.

Maybe they will take the effort of renaming it one more time.

This is indeed a trouble with all of the No arguments, absolute certainty that the Treaty is wrong and should be rejected but are unable to say , no more than anyone else what that will mean, because that is a complete unknown, maybe even an unknown unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Benfatto

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is indeed a trouble with all of the No arguments, absolute certainty that the Treaty is wrong and should be rejected but are unable to say , no more than anyone else what that will mean, because that is a complete unknown, maybe even an unknown unknown.

Please read what I said: I was talking about the way of implementing treaties, not about the treaty itself.

The Irish rejected the Nice treaty in the past, but accepted it in the next referendum.

Switzerland voted I believe 6 times in a referendum for EU accession, rejected all as you know (love them)

France and Netherlands rejected, and are know being ****ed. Same constitution, different name, no referendum.

And you are tolerating this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Ireland's low tax rates are key for making it one of the richest countries in the world. Most EU member states however have higher tax rates than Ireland. Countries like Germany and France have repeatedly stated that they oppose tax competition, opposing in effect Ireland and other members. Already the European commission is working on a unified EU corporate tax rate. Recently it has been postponed untill after the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty by all member states.
    • The Lisbon Treaty will give the EU the possibility to extend their legislative powers into any political area. It is therefore only a matter of time before all issues will be centrally decided, including national taxation policies.
    You have discredited your first point with your second. Unanimity is required to extend legislative areas. Tax is an area Ireland (and the UK) are unwilling to cede.

TAX=Nothing to do with the EU and nothing to do with the European Reform Treaty

Q.E.D

Please read what I said: I was talking about the way of implementing treaties, not about the treaty itself.

The Irish rejected the Nice treaty in the past, but accepted it in the next referendum.

Switzerland voted I believe 6 times in a referendum for EU accession, rejected all as you know (love them)

France and Netherlands rejected, and are know being ****ed. Same constitution, different name, no referendum.

And you are tolerating this?

And again I repeat myself. The EU are not responsible for individual countries not having referendums. Government by the people etc.

It is our constitution which requires amendment, and if I was wavering in any way it would not be on the basis of solidarity with the "disenfranchised" of Europe.

My point still stands, you advocate no, although for a different reason to many others, without being able to say what a No result means.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

murphaph wrote: »
    18 other parliaments.
    The EU Constitution was ratified by popular referendum in Luxembourg, Spain and Romania.
    I disagree with a common defence policy and believe this is aimed squarely at building the weapons industry in Europe to rival the americans.
    Very unlikely that this will happen for the simple reason that people don't want it to happen.
    I think the EU has already expanded too far and believe Lisbon will allow even further expansion more easily.
    The EU is unlikely to expand beyond the former-Yugoslav states in the short to medium term; Turkey, Switzerland and Norway are the only other states to officially express an interest in acceding, but none are likely to join any time soon.
    HydeRoad wrote: »
    ...a recent radio interview with Declan Ganley very decidedly swung me in favour of voting NO.
    May I ask if you researched any of his claims in an effort to see if they could be substantiated?
    HydeRoad wrote: »
    Years of lies, squandered boom, and more lies, mean that I am unlikely to take seriously any statement made by a member of the main political parties, on any side of the issue.
    And yet you have been convinced to vote 'No' by a man/organisation that you know virtually nothing about?
    The same old thing that has driven politicians since the beginning of time: greed.
    That still doesn't make any sense. Even if true, why would a group of "greedy" politicians negotiate a treaty that renders them completely powerless?
    They believe that with the creation of an all powerful super state they can rule even more.
    :rolleyes:

Conspiracy theories is this way.
    ...this is confirmed by the EU politicians themselves...
    No it isn't - you're seeing something that isn't there.
    overlooked that, not that it matters much.
    Yes it does matter; it matters quite a bit.
    Look, I quote all these politicians admitting they have deceived their people...
    Again, no. Care to point out the admission of deceit in this statement:
    "The substance of what was agreed in 2004 has been retained. What is gone is the term ‘constitution’ ".
    The quotations in that article are from the rapport itself, being sceptic does not imply making things up (like the scare mongering on of the 'yes' kamp)
    What scaremongering is this? Care to provide an example?
    It doesn't really matter who's debating you and how much proof is being thrown into your face, you have been brainwashed. That is what this source is all about. It's not your fault, schools are public for a reason, media isn't state controlled for nothing, so please don't feel offended, you just cannot help it. Let's just hope it won't go as far as soldiers' boots kicking people in camps even though it might give you a reality check.
    Wow. Terrific argument. Kudos to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abZudYWJ5k

^Love that video :pac:

I'm voting No myself, which leaves me a little worried- Libertas, Youth Defence and the Workers Party? not great company I admit.
    Still.... I don't think party lines apply here.

Pro Europe, but I don't see Lisbon as a good deal...I imagine people like me make up the majority of the No side?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PrivateEye wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abZudYWJ5k

^Love that video :pac:

I'm voting No myself, which leaves me a little worried- Libertas, Youth Defence and the Workers Party? not great company I admit.
    Still.... I don't think party lines apply here.

Pro Europe, but I don't see Lisbon as a good deal...I imagine people like me make up the majority of the No side?

Probably not, I'm afraid. The bulk of the No side will be made up of the same 500,000 voters who vote No every time. People who actually think Lisbon is a bad deal will come in on top of that. If the No vote more than doubles from its usual level then you can claim to be in the majority.

Mind you, I have no particular idea why Lisbon isn't a good deal.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

murphaph wrote:
    I disagree with a common defence policy and believe this is aimed squarely at building the weapons industry in Europe to rival the americans
    djpbarry wrote: »
    Very unlikely that this will happen for the simple reason that people don't want it to happen.

Sorry but would these 'people' perhaps be the french and dutch voters whose views were ignored and cynically sidestepped to prevent them expressing their views a second time.

Yes this is certainly an institution to be a proud member of.

Are you really willing to endorse this subversion of what 'the people don't want to happen' as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

johnnyq wrote: »
    Sorry but would these 'people' perhaps be the french and dutch voters whose views were ignored and cynically sidestepped to prevent them expressing their views a second time.

Yes this is certainly an institution to be a proud member of.

Are you really willing to endorse this subversion of what 'the people don't want to happen' as you say.

I would like to add that I don't agree with djbarry but I don't agree with you either. Europe already has a massive arms industry, second only to the US. Ever heard of BAE, EADS, Dassault, Fabrique Nationale, Heckler & Koch, Beretta, AgustaWestland and SAAB? European arms are sold all over the world and are growing in sales. The EDA allows EU militaries to collectively bargain with them and international manufacturers to get a better deal. It's purpose is not to increase arms manufacturing in Europe, the arms manufacturers are doing that just fine without the help of the EU.

sink wrote: »
    I would like to add that I don't agree with djbarry but I don't agree with you either. Europe already has a massive arms industry, second only to the US. Ever heard of BAE, EADS, Dassault, Fabrique Nationale, Heckler & Koch, Beretta, AgustaWestland and SAAB? European arms are sold all over the world and are growing in sales. The EDA allows EU militaries to collectively bargain with them and international manufacturers to get a better deal. It's purpose is not to increase arms manufacturing in Europe, the arms manufacturers are doing that just fine without the help of the EU.
    I would like to add that the member states in the EU which are in NATO are also getting on fine without dragging in the EU institutions, but wait NATO objectives are still introduced into this treaty, funny that.

Of course, just to repeat, the purpose of my post was to highlight the democratic deficit in the EU in case djpbarry hadn't noticed it. ;)

• Advertisement

I would like to add that the member states in the EU which are in NATO are also getting on fine without dragging in the EU institutions, but wait NATO objectives are still introduced into this treaty, funny that.

Of course, just to repeat, the purpose of my post was to highlight the democratic deficit in the EU in case djpbarry hadn't noticed it. ;)

If the EU is going to have battlegroups (requested by the UN), does it not make sense that it should have some communication with the main military block in Europe?

You've been going on about this democratic deficit, but the deficit you keep pointing out is in other countries not in the EU. I remembering voting for in the last European parliamentary election and in the last general election.

If the EU is going to have battlegroups (requested by the UN), does it not make sense that it should have some communication with the main military block in Europe?

I dont equate 'some communication' with a defence policy that "shall be consistent with commitments under NATO". I can't believe that this was going to be enshrined in our constitution before it was rejected.
    sink wrote:
    You've been going on about this democratic deficit, but the deficit you keep pointing out is in other countries not in the EU. I remembering voting for in the last European parliamentary election and in the last general election.

France, Holland ....'other countries not in the EU'...... okay....

Pity your vote didn't stop those peoples views being ignored and railroaded through.

France, Holland ....'other countries not in the EU'...... okay....

Pity your vote didn't stop those peoples views being ignored and railroaded through.

My vote of course didn't affect a foreign country. My vote only affect those which are meant to represent me. If they voted for a different government in both of their countries there would probably be an entirely different outcome. I don't have a vote in their countries, I wouldn't expect to and neither do you nor should you.

I dont equate 'some communication' with a defence policy that "shall be consistent with commitments under NATO". I can't believe that this was going to be enshrined in our constitution before it was rejected.

Well it does not make sense for the EU to act against an organisation in which many EU countries are members. That's all it means.

As EU citizens you either accept that we're in it together or we're not.

Well now you do have a vote as an EU citizen regarding the EU itself. This is a chance to change the EU for the better but if we vote yes we resign the european union to the bad habits it has developed.

Well it does not make sense for the EU to act against an organisation in which many EU countries are members. That's all it means.
    Aligning the EU to NATO's commitments isn't the only option to not act against NATO.

Leaving it out of our *constitution* does not mean we are anti-NATO, just not in their back pockets.

As EU citizens you either accept that we're in it together or we're not.

Well now you do have a vote as an EU citizen regarding the EU itself. This is a chance to change the EU for the better but if we vote yes we resign the european union to the bad habits it has developed.

I'm pretty certain we've been over this point before. If the EU was to hold it's own referenda it would effectively be a state itself. It would seem
    the majority in Europe don't want the EU to be a state so what your asking for is not what the majority in Europe wants. Like it or not your not going to get what you want by voting no.

Aligning the EU to NATO's commitments isn't the only option to not act against NATO.

Leaving it out of our *constitution* does not mean we are anti-NATO, just not in their back pockets.

It does not say anything like 'aligning' the EU with NATO, it says 'consistent with' NATO. Two very different words but you seem to think they are the same.

Okay this is my last contribution for the evening,
    align

verb

To be formally associated, as by treaty:
    consistent
    adj.

In agreement; compatible:
    Being in agreement with itself; coherent and uniform: a

They are very different indeed, opposites in fact.:rolleyes:

Look this is symantics, i'm off to bed.

One means to be associated with to such an extent that there aims are the same. The other means to be compatible with and to not conflict, but not necessarily to share the same aims. Very simple! Semantics you have not grasped I might add. I'm being pedantic I know, but you have to be when it comes to an international treaty as one word can change the entire meaning.

• Advertisement

We need not go into semantics, though. 21 EU members are NATO members - 78% of the EU. They have agreed to certain things as NATO members - duties and obligations. They cannot sign up to another Treaty which does not accept and respect those obligations. Therefore, either:

a) EU Treaties must accept and respect those obligations

or

b) all the 21 member states must leave NATO

or

c) 21 out of the 27 EU member states must leave the EU

There's a theoretical option (d), where the NATO Treaties are amended to make NATO respect EU military obligations - making the EU treaties the primary military treaties of the NATO members instead of the NATO one. I'm pretty certain that's not actually a good idea, though.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

They were hardly ignored; correct me if I'm wrong, but the EU constitution was not ratified, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

is_that_so wrote: »
    you advocate no without being able to say what a No result means.

A 'No' results in the status quo. Look around you, this IS what a No result is. We are living in a 'No' EU right now, right this very second, every second!

That's what a No result means.

It is true that it does not mean the status quo will be like this forever, or even for a very long time. Change is inevitable and beneficial, thats the right change of course. Not all changes are perfect.

Voters need to decide whether this propsed change with the Lisbon Treaty is a good change for them, for Ireland and for Europe. Irish voters, as the only people being directly asked their opinion, should think of all Europeans as well as just Ireland. If it is rejected, another change will be proposed at some point in the future. Change will not come to a standstill.

A rejection of the Lisbon Treaty wont stop the 'european project', it wont make us 'bad members' of the EU, it wont make us non-Europeans, and we wont be ostracised.

Vote Wisely .....

Redspider

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

redspider wrote: »
    A 'No' results in the status quo. Look around you, this IS what a No result is. We are living in a 'No' EU right now, right this very second, every second!

That's an utterly naive view, to the point of irresponsibility.

Every decision has consequences. You've acknowledged that the status quo can't remain static, but you've extrapolated that to mean that there can be no negative consequences of a no vote.

In the short term, there is at least one direct consequence of a no vote - the size of the Commission will be reduced five years earlier.

In the longer term, I don't know what the consequences of a no vote will be. Neither do you, and it's disingenuous at best to claim that you do.

djpbarry wrote: »
    They were hardly ignored; correct me if I'm wrong, but the EU constitution was not ratified, was it?

And the Dutch and French negotiating teams got specific features negotiated into the Lisbon Treaty to address their concerns - see, for example, this article: Bringing the Treaty Back Home: The Netherlands and the Lisbon Treaty:
    To that aim, the Dutch negotiating position focused specifically on the incorporation of a number of concrete checks and balances, safeguards and emergency breaks into the treaty text. Two key points included the Dutch demand for clarification of the existing division of competencies between member states and the Union, and the incorporation into the treaty text of a reference to the accession criteria for candidate member states. It was successfully made clear to the EU negotiating partners that conceding these particular demands would be instrumental for the Dutch delegation in bringing the treaty back home. The vulnerability of the Dutch position in terms of legitimacy was thereby effectively turned into a strength in the negotiations.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

It is true that it does not mean the status quo will be like this forever, or even for a very long time. Change is inevitable and beneficial, thats the right change of course. Not all changes are perfect.

Voters need to decide whether this propsed change with the Lisbon Treaty is a good change for them, for Ireland and for Europe. Irish voters, as the only people being directly asked their opinion, should think of all Europeans as well as just Ireland. If it is rejected, another change will be proposed at some point in the future. Change will not come to a standstill.

A rejection of the Lisbon Treaty wont stop the 'european project', it wont make us 'bad members' of the EU, it wont make us non-Europeans, and we wont be ostracised.

Vote Wisely .....

Redspider

No it will not but nor does it guarantee this status quo will last any longer than next week nor does it guarantee anything else. Change will not stop but nor is there anything to suggests that would be an equal part of that change if we do not ratify the treaty. Lisbon is the next stage in the EU's evolution and while the EU specialises in 11th hour rescues, this treaty has been in process for almost 7 years.

One could criticise the EU for not providing a clear answer to this question but as has been observed this is Plan B that has been painstakingly assembled and reassembled. The fact that we are unaware of what Lisbon is about IMO is down to our own government for not communicating what it was doing beyond it's good for Ireland.
    And therein lies the problem and regrettably one of the reasons the results of referenda, for all their democratic credentials, can often end up a mish-mash of skewed logic, emotive threats and cajoling.
    I wonder if it is unhappiness with the treaty or the fact that we were ignored until we were needed to vote on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

The status quo? You mean a situation where the EU is too busy trying to decide what exactly it is to effectively deal with climate change, rocketing food and energy prices and a more assertive and threatening Russia on its doorstep.

Brilliant.

Anyway, you're wrong about the consequences of a No vote. The Constitutional Treaty, although flawed, could at least be explained to the average citizen without much difficultly. The direct consequence of its rejection is Lisbon, Plan B, an amendment to the tangled web of existing treaties that is virtually impossible to explain in detail to someone who knows nothing about the EU. Eurosceptics really did themselves a favour there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ye are getting way too into the whole thing.

Bottom line, there is indeed scaremongering going on here.
    If you're so angry about nopt getting a vote on it then take it up with your government and stop trying (Like the OP) to get us to vote on your behalf, I'll be voting on my behalf and my country's behalf, not a bunch of pissed off europeans.

They are, i live in the Netherlands, there's protests outside our Irish embassies. The Dutch are really p*ssed that their right to vote has been removed on this issue.

So beyond having riots what else are they supposed to do ?

The french foreign minister has threatened:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhgbojmhauey/
    Ireland will be "the first victim" if voters reject the Lisbon Treaty in this Thursday's referendum.

And the EC president has Manuel Barosso has done the same.

Anyway at this stage, i dont really care what the Yes camp has to say, i'd vote no simply because its my right and not because someone was trying to threaten a country into getting the vote they want.

craichoe wrote: »
    Ye are getting way too into the whole thing.

Bottom line, there is indeed scaremongering going on here.

They are, i live in the Netherlands, there's protests outside our Irish embassies. The Dutch are really p*ssed that their right to vote has been removed on this issue.

So beyond having riots what else are they supposed to do ?

The french foreign minister has threatened:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhgbojmhauey/

And the EC president has Manuel Barosso has done the same.

Anyway at this stage, i dont really care what the Yes camp has to say, i'd vote no simply because its my right and not because someone was trying to threaten a country into getting the vote they want.

Did you notice that he said 'punish yourselves' not 'we'll punish you' two very different things. One is a warning a friend would give another if they were walking into danger the other is a threat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Did you notice that he said 'punish yourselves' not 'we'll punish you' to very different things. One is a warning a friend would give another if they were walking into danger the other is a threat.

Thats what the officers in Concentration camps during WWII said to people about escaping.

If you make a statement you should give a reason, not just .. "Bad things will happen if you don't vote yes"

Advertisement