Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which cable for magic eye thingy

Options
  • 07-07-2004 12:10pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I am currently using an RF based "video sender" to watch Sky in bed, however, I'm purchasing an LCD TV soon, which I will be mounting on the wall so I won't have the room on top of the TV for the video sender (I'm not wildly impressed with the quality of it anyway, picture is fine, but it's quite noisey).
    Therefore, I want run a cable from the analogue RF output on the Sky box to the bedroom, and control it with a "magic eye" which I have bought.
    Now, my question is, what's the best co-ax cable to use for this application?
    I have been looking in the RS catalogue, and they have CT100 and CT125, the CT125 being more expensive, Which cable is best?

Any other hidden solution suggestions for beaming/piping Sky upstairs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

The major downside of using the RF output is that you don't get stereo sound on the digital channel (terrestrials are fine) so your new TV will only have a mono output.

I'm not sure what you mean by "quite noisy".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

CT100 is more than adequate although I think you will find RF to be quite expensive

Originally posted by Samson
    I am currently using an RF based "video sender" to watch Sky in bed, however, I'm purchasing an LCD TV soon, which I will be mounting on the wall so I won't have the room on top of the TV for the video sender (I'm not wildly impressed with the quality of it anyway, picture is fine, but it's quite noisey).
    Therefore, I want run a cable from the analogue RF output on the Sky box to the bedroom, and control it with a "magic eye" which I have bought.
    Now, my question is, what's the best co-ax cable to use for this application?
    I have been looking in the RS catalogue, and they have CT100 and CT125, the CT125 being more expensive, Which cable is best?

Any other hidden solution suggestions for beaming/piping Sky upstairs?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Tony
    ...I think you will find RF to be quite expensive

I'm not sure what you mean tony, do you mean the cost of the cable, or are you referring to another connection type.

ShaneOC, when I say quite noisey, I mean that there is a background hiss at all times, which gets louder when I am scrolling through the EPG or when a large portion of the screen is solid colour.
    Also, I was unaware that the sound would be mono, thanks for that bit of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

It might be the TV at fault , if you connect the TV directly to the digibox do you still get the hiss?

What an idiot , meant to say RS is quite expensive :D
    Originally posted by Samson
    I'm not sure what you mean tony, do you mean the cost of the cable, or are you referring to another connection type.

ShaneOC, when I say quite noisey, I mean that there is a background hiss at all times, which gets louder when I am scrolling through the EPG or when a large portion of the screen is solid colour.
    Also, I was unaware that the sound would be mono, thanks for that bit of info.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    It might be the TV at fault , if you connect the TV directly to the digibox do you still get the hiss?

No, the TV is fine. I have connected my DVD player, VCR and the Sky box to directly without issue.

Where would you suggest I buy the cable tony?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, sorry for being stupid but who are RS?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i have it running on standard co axial cable thats being in the houde 16 years picture & sound are super

Hate to be pedantic but what passes as standard coax in a lot of places is absolute rubbish, for the sake of a few extra cents CT100 or variants are well worth it.

Tony

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Tony
    Hate to be pedantic but what passes as standard coax in a lot of places is absolute rubbish, for the sake of a very extra cents CT100 or variants are well worth it.

Tony

Yea, I'd agree. Some of the stuff that passes as coax is abyssmal. Definitely go for CT100, you'll not regret it

• Advertisement
Advertisement