Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas heater v. Electric heater

• 02-09-2013 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I live in a small one bedroom flat with storage electrical heaters which are very expensive to run. I won't use them this winter and will instead buy either an electrical heater or a gas heater such as a SuperSer or Flogas. I am out all day so do not need storage heaters heating the flat all day. I only want something to heat the living room for a few hours in the evenings.

Are electrical heaters used in such a way fairly cheap to run or would it be better to get a Superser or Flogas heater?

imageicons.php?pcode=F250S V. 56-4152239SPA74UC698198M.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

I'm interested in learning more about this also. I moved from storage heaters to a blow heater. Bills are very much reduced but still on the high side.

I am looking into buying a portable gas heater now instead. I know they give off more heat and will probably be cheaper to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I wouldn't use a superser in a bedsit, go for electric but make sure it has thermostatic control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I wouldn't use a superser in a bedsit, go for electric but make sure it has thermostatic control.

Absolutely agree. I hate flueless gas fires. Very dangerous in most scenarios.
    Go for something like the thermostatic Farho heaters. Very economic to run & very good at delivery what is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

anybody able to recommend a decent electric heater, that is fairly energy efficient?

need one to heat a hallway/stairs, the storage heater for that area has packed in, but was thinking of getting an electrical one anyway, that can be timed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

I've a post unanswered post here it was recommended to me, but I wanted to get other opinions on it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

SQ2 wrote: »
    I've a post unanswered post here it was recommended to me, but I wanted to get other opinions on it..

any idea how much they cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

Around €400 Homerjay, I'd usually be of the opinion that if I'm paying more for something like this, I'd get better value in the long run, but just would like some input...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You aren't going to get any more efficiency out of one type of electric heater over another. They are all exactly the same as far as efficiency goes. One might be more convenient or attractive for your situation, but that's almost all there is to it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You aren't going to get any more efficiency out of one type of electric heater over another. They are all exactly the same as far as efficiency goes. One might be more convenient or attractive for your situation, but that's almost all there is to it.

I agree with above. You will get about the same amount of heat per euro from any electric heater. It then comes down to built in controls like thermostats and timers.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I use a Superser and it's waaaaay cheaper than electric. Just can't fall asleep with it on and make sure to ventilate the room every once in a while. I only used 3 cans of gas last winter!

• Advertisement
Advertisement