Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

central heating expansion tank overflow

Options
  • 25-11-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

hi we got a solid fuel stove last yr, very happy with it. we have not used the oil central heating since, but last week i turned it on just to check it. and after a couple of mins i could hear water pouring out of the expansion tank, any one any idea what could be causing this.. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Could be a lot of things but most likely an air lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Maybe the pump is seized after a long time of non use. Hold your hand on the pump - is it vibrating with the heating on.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

freddyuk wrote: »
    Maybe the pump is seized after a long time of non use. Hold your hand on the pump - is it vibrating with the heating on.?

if the pump was seized then surely it wouldn't be pumping and pumping out of the expansion tank?

OP.. it would be a long list of things, are thermostatic radiator valves fitted? If so maybe they are jammed, maybe a blockage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

OP didn't say it was pumping over he just said it was pouring into the expansion tank. If the expansion pipe is between the boiler flow and the pump and the pump is not working and there is a problem with the boiler stat not getting the correct reading then where will the hot water go?? Checking the pump is easy and free. If it is working then we can move on to other possible causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭avfc1874

thanks for replys, i'm not sure if i'm explaining about the expansion tank flowing over or over flowing. all i know is if i put on the central heating after a few mins water pours out of the over flow pipe outside the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

avfc1874 wrote: »
    thanks for replys, i'm not sure if i'm explaining about the expansion tank flowing over or over flowing. all i know is if i put on the central heating after a few mins water pours out of the over flow pipe outside the house

Have you checked the wtaer pressure when system is cold as should be around 10-12psig. As water heats, it expands, causing an increase in system pressure, which could lift your high pressure relief valve - just a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

brian1976 wrote: »
    Have you checked the wtaer pressure when system is cold as should be around 10-12psig. As water heats, it expands, causing an increase in system pressure, which could lift your high pressure relief valve - just a possibility.
    There is solid fuel so it will not be a pressurised system.

OP, you will need to get into the attic & see the water level in the expansion tank. The ball valve may be stuck & water level too high. It sounds like there maybe a couple of issues.

Probably best to call somebody out though.

Advertisement