Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music copyright

Options
  • 26-06-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I'm looking to make a sports video from clips filmed by me and a couple of other people also involved in this project.
    Now, the regular audio seems quite boring for this sort of thing, so I'd like to use pieces of instrumental compositions available to me. I don't intend on putting a full composition in any of the videos, and the source would be acknowledged at the end of the video.
    Would this be still considered copyright infringement?
    Any other options/recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
    Andrei

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Acknowledgement alone does not override copyright infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

That's why I'm asking.
    -I'm not reproducing the full track, only a fraction of it (the track is more than 7 minutes long, I need maybe 40 seconds).
    -I'm not claiming ownership of the sound.
    Yet I'm still cautious of the Copyright barrier..

Do you know of any ways of getting the priviledge to use an extract from a composition?

EDIT:
    Just came across this on the group's website-
    Many of you may have heard a Kodo song somewhere other than a Kodo performance. You might even be thinking of incorporating a Kodo song into your performance, movie, TV program, documentary, advertisement, etc. Of course, we at Kodo are very proud that people outside the group are interested enough in our music to want to use it in their own work. However, we want to remind you that the majority of songs used in Kodo's performances are the product of many hours of stress and strain on the part of their composers. Therefore, it is only fair to give credit where credit is due when using a Kodo song. This means following the appropriate rules for use in line with copyright laws.

Copyrighted pieces written by former and present Kodo members are managed and published by Otodaiku, Ltd. (a Kodo Group company)
    For further information please refer to the Otodaiku website.

Does this mean that acknowledgement is enough in this case??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Hoku wrote: »
    Does this mean that acknowledgement is enough in this case??

it usually means a quick email to their management or label to ask for permission to which most bands will say OK if its a non commercial thing.

acknowledgement of music still breaks copyright infringement and in fact strenghtens the case against you if you use it without permission as your essentially saying I know this music isnt mine. There are many sites on the net where you can download copyright free music though such as www.freeplaymusic.com

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Gotcha, thanks for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

anytime :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement