Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

1106107108109110112»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

dball wrote: »
    I have recently received a Ipad, i think its the first gen Ipad.
    I've checked the settings and its telling me ios 5.1.1 is up to date and is not offering me an upgrade to a later version.
    this has been sitting on a shelf for over 12 months and unused

Am i stuck with this of is there a way to upgrade the software -

Have I an option to jailbreak my IPad - can anyone link a video as to how I go about doing this please.

If successful do i get a IOS software update ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You can't update to a newer version of iOS on that iPad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

Thanks Guil, Is there any advantage to jail breaking it, as it stands the 4 apps i tried to d/l weren't available for my software.

Do i get access to anything with a jailbreak or is it a waste of time for an ipad this old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Another advantage of the manually activated jailbreak, the Channel 4 app now works as it cannot detect the jailbreak when you havent activated it!
    Sky Go should work also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Is it possible for networks to unlock phones that are years old?
    I have an old iPhone 3g that I want to give to my father-in-law, but it is locked to O2/Three network. I contacted them with IMEI, and they stated it would be €1100 to unlock. I am currently on a contract with them on another phone, but I don't wish to unlock this one.

Surely, there should be a time limit that they keep phones on their network, as I'm fairly sure enough credit has gone into the phone over the last 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Is it possible for networks to unlock phones that are years old?
    I have an old iPhone 3g that I want to give to my father-in-law, but it is locked to O2/Three network. I contacted them with IMEI, and they stated it would be €1100 to unlock. I am currently on a contract with them on another phone, but I don't wish to unlock this one.

Surely, there should be a time limit that they keep phones on their network, as I'm fairly sure enough credit has gone into the phone over the last 5 years.
    Surely you're either:

a. taking the pee
    b. must have forgot a decimal point (hopefully after the 11)

dodzy wrote: »
    Surely you're either:

a. taking the pee
    b. must have forgot a decimal point (hopefully after the 11)

Nope, you've read that correct €1100. Email received this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

jeez..... I query that email again?? The sender must have made a mistake......!!

I would throw it up on Social Media (covering over names and accounts numbers)( and embarrass them into action. Big companies like that watch their twitter and facebook and don't like being the butt of jokes!!!

€1,100 for unlocking an Iphone 3G....?????????

Probably better off to speaker them or post in the three forum. I'd say they are presuming it's the current phone and the contract still has €1100 owed on it, they won't unlock a phone on contract unless you pay the contract in full.

Masala wrote: »
    jeez..... I query that email again?? The sender must have made a mistake......!!

I would throw it up on Social Media (covering over names and accounts numbers)( and embarrass them into action. Big companies like that watch their twitter and facebook and don't like being the butt of jokes!!!

€1,100 for unlocking an Iphone 3G....?????????

I doubt it's a charge for unlocking but the fact the poster is in contract and they probably never looked up the IMEI.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm guessing they just related to my phone number, and not the IMEI.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

Hi

I have an old iphone 4S which I got unlocked about 2 years ago with a view to selling it. Found it in a drawer recently. It has an old version of the IOS and I haven't updated it since finding it.

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone tell me what's the best way to go about jailbreaking it? Is there anywhere in Dublin (eg. GSM solutions) who will do this for me?

Hi

I have an old iphone 4S which I got unlocked about 2 years ago with a view to selling it. Found it in a drawer recently. It has an old version of the IOS and I haven't updated it since finding it.

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone tell me what's the best way to go about jailbreaking it? Is there anywhere in Dublin (eg. GSM solutions) who will do this for me?
    Why do you want to jailbreak it?

guil wrote: »
    Why do you want to jailbreak it?

Don't I have to do this to get free and non-iTunes apps?

Hoping to pass it on to my brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hoping to pass it on to my brother

Oh dear......:rolleyes:

397098.jpeg

??

Here was me thinking that the idea was that people could ask questions here and perhaps get a helpful answer, instead of being mocked for asking the question in the first place………..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

??

Here was me thinking that the idea was that people could ask questions here and perhaps get a helpful answer, instead of being mocked for asking the question in the first place………..

If you had read the charter you would see the bit about not discussing illegal practices.

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you had read the charter you would see the bit about not discussing illegal practices.

The name of this thread has "jailbreak" in the title!! "All discussion goes here...", apparently.

The name of this thread has "jailbreak" in the title!! "All discussion goes here...", apparently.

Everything except anything that goes against the charter or general boards rules.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Jailbreaking itself isn't illegal. What you asked about using it for is.

Jailbreaking itself isn't illegal. What you asked about using it for is.

Cool. So can someone tell me how to go about jailbreaking it then?

Cool. So can someone tell me how to go about jailbreaking it then?

Nah, its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

So from what i read and tried to understand, it is legal to jailbreak a phone with the intent of using a legal application as it is "fair use"? But it is illegal to produce or distribute software thats main purpose is to jailbreak phones, especially if done to make a profit?

Am i correct?

And if i jailbreak my friends phone for the intent of using a legal app is that legal? and what if he paid me money to do it?

sirboby wrote: »
    So from what i read and tried to understand, it is legal to jailbreak a phone with the intent of using a legal application as it is "fair use"? But it is illegal to produce or distribute software thats main purpose is to jailbreak phones, especially if done to make a profit?

Am i correct?

And if i jailbreak my friends phone for the intent of using a legal app is that legal? and what if he paid me money to do it?

Jailbreaking isn't illegal. Making Jailbreak software isn't illegal.
    Using software without paying for it, or piracy, is. Discussing illegal practices is not ok on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

sirboby wrote: »

Am i correct?

There is no legal issue in anything you have stated there.

Provided you or whoever is distributing said software has the right to do so.

However discussing anything that is illegal is against boards rules.

If you want to jailbreak your device, go for it, if you want to jailbreak your friends device, go for it. If he wants to pay you to provide that service, that is entirely up to him and not illegal in any way. There are phone shops that provide that service too. Once you're not charging for the actual software, but charging to provide the service, there is no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 frolic

What are the pros/cons of jailbreak? If it isn't as grand as it sounds, can the Apple TV2 be put back to usual settings?

I picked up a cheap iPhone 4S for use with a little gadget called an Arcadie. I just assumed that since it was an older model there would be a jailbreak available (not too experienced with Apple stuff).

Anyway it's on 9.3.5 and the best I can do is some "HomeDepot" semi tethered jailbreak. It seems a pain because I think I'd need to redo the jailbreak every 7 days.

Is there any chance a better untethered jailbreak will come out for 9.3.5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

just a quick question.

Is it possible to unlock the Iphone 5 SE

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    just a quick question.

Is it possible to unlock the Iphone 5 SE

.?? Any iPhone can be unlocked. Do you by using a jailbreak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

.?? Any iPhone can be unlocked. Do you by using a jailbreak?

Sorry yes I ment actually unlocking

I rang a phone unlocking store and they dont do Three locked Iphone 5 SE

They said it takes to much bandwidth to unlock them

Found that strange

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I'm finding it near impossible to get my iPhone 6s unlocked from Three network. The phone's official owner is in someone else's name and is under contract from Three until April 2018, so I cannot get is officially unlocked (unless 10 months of the contract is paid!). I've tried Ebay and other sites online to unlock it but I only found 1 website which charges 125euro. Any ideas on how or where I can get it unlocked?

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I'm finding it near impossible to get my iPhone 6s unlocked from Three network. The phone's official owner is in someone else's name and is under contract from Three until April 2018, so I cannot get is officially unlocked (unless 10 months of the contract is paid!). I've tried Ebay and other sites online to unlock it but I only found 1 website which charges 125euro. Any ideas on how or where I can get it unlocked?

Nope, almost impossible to unlock Three iPhones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Nope, almost impossible to unlock Three iPhones.

Sh1te. They are such gimps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

any dublin store that unlock iphone 6 on emobile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

any dublin store that unlock iphone 6 on emobile?

Should be able to buy an unlock on eBay.

I picked up a cheap iPhone 4S for use with a little gadget called an Arcadie. I just assumed that since it was an older model there would be a jailbreak available (not too experienced with Apple stuff).

Anyway it's on 9.3.5 and the best I can do is some "HomeDepot" semi tethered jailbreak. It seems a pain because I think I'd need to redo the jailbreak every 7 days.

Is there any chance a better untethered jailbreak will come out for 9.3.5?

Using Phoenix I jailbroke my iPhone and then I downgraded it to 6.1.3. Then I jailbroke that and installed iMame4All.

Thanks for all the help guys! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone know how I would get an old 02 Iphone 4S unlocked. Ive tried to get it done through 3 who took over the o2 Network but they say they cant do it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Anyone else receive a scam/phishing email from Apple this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Hi Folks, apologies if answered already (I did search!)

I have an iPhone previously used in a Bill Pay with Vodafone. Term expired, nothing owed, still with Vodafone.

My mums old Samsung phone has gone wallop and I want to put her Vodafone PAYG SIM (will convert to nano) in.

Apart from restoring the phone, adding her icloud account on it - anything else I need to do?

Thanks (she lives alone, is isolating and this is the connection to family - might even get a Zoom call!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

jaytobe wrote: »
    Hi Folks, apologies if answered already (I did search!)

I have an iPhone previously used in a Bill Pay with Vodafone. Term expired, nothing owed, still with Vodafone.

My mums old Samsung phone has gone wallop and I want to put her Vodafone PAYG SIM (will convert to nano) in.

Apart from restoring the phone, adding her icloud account on it - anything else I need to do?

Thanks (she lives alone, is isolating and this is the connection to family - might even get a Zoom call!)

No, that’s pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

Just remember to sign out of your iCloud account before restoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 benhabibi

Is that possible to jailbreak IOS 13.4.1 ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Jailbreak apple tv 2. I had a jailbroken atv2 a couple of years ago but gave it away as I didnt use it. Anyway I got it back and it had been restored to factory settings. So I downloaded seas0npass and began to start the jailbreak for version 6.2.1. However I'm stuck on trying to enter dfu mode I've tried multiple methods and im even getting the light flashing rapidly while holding menu/play but once I release it nothing happens and it goes back to flashing every 0.5 second. I seem to have tried every method so I'm just wondering if anyone can help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

markc91 wrote: »
    Jailbreak apple tv 2. I had a jailbroken atv2 a couple of years ago but gave it away as I didnt use it. Anyway I got it back and it had been restored to factory settings. So I downloaded seas0npass and began to start the jailbreak for version 6.2.1. However I'm stuck on trying to enter dfu mode I've tried multiple methods and im even getting the light flashing rapidly while holding menu/play but once I release it nothing happens and it goes back to flashing every 0.5 second. I seem to have tried every method so I'm just wondering if anyone can help?

So in finder its recognising that the ATV is in recovery mode but seas0npass doesnt seem to recognise it as it says waiting for device to enter dfu mode when finder says it's in recovery mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Would people recommend getting anti-virus/Malware software for a new MacBook Pro. I see conflicting things online having done a bit of research.

And if so, what one? I was looking at Norton 360 Standard.

It would only be for one device.

Thanks in advance.

This forum is for Apple devices such as iPhone/iPad/iPod. This specific thread is about jailbreaking those devices, so you won't get much help here. Report your thread and ask a Mod to move it to the Mac forum which is here: Mac Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OO7FITZY

have an old iphone 5 which is out of contract many years with three but despite multiple requested to have it unlocked since Nov it is still not resolved

just want to use as a secondary phone now and assumed it automatically unlocked once I finished my contract

have been using as an ipod for years and now I swap in a diff sim it is locked

are there any options open to me to unlock or jailbreak the phone or should I just resign myself to defeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Does anybody know where I can get my iPhone 6s unlocked?
    It’s locked to three but they have not been very helpful, I’m in Dublin South

Advertisement