Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help With Buying From Amazon.com - Import Fees Etc.

Options
  • 15-01-2017 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to buy a particular phone case from Amazon.com as it is hard to get here in Ireland or else it is too expensive. The fulfilled by Amazon one doesn't ship to Ireland but the same seller offers it non fulfilled by Amazon also. The price and shipping is the same price, so the only difference is that you can't pay the import fee deposit. The total value of the item including shipping would be $60. Does anyone have any idea on the price of the fee. I haven't been able to work out how exactly the fees work. I don't really want to have to pay fees, like something small wouldn't bother me. The only import fees I have had experience with was a €20 fee for importing a €30 item from China. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

SW98 wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking to buy a particular phone case from Amazon.com as it is hard to get here in Ireland or else it is too expensive. The fulfilled by Amazon one doesn't ship to Ireland but the same seller offers it non fulfilled by Amazon also. The price and shipping is the same price, so the only difference is that you can't pay the import fee deposit. The total value of the item including shipping would be $60. Does anyone have any idea of how I might get them to somehow avoid any fees or any idea on the price of the fee. I haven't been able to work out how exactly the fees work. I don't really want to have to pay fees, like something small wouldn't bother me. The only import fees I have had experience with was a €20 fee for importing a €30 item from China. Thanks for any replies.

First line in the VAT/Duty thread is about not asking for help to avoid tax.:eek:

At 23% on $60 (About €56) you may pay €12ish VAT plus €7 An post fee.

The whole point of customs duty and VAT is to make a product more expensive to import. With a low value like this, you may have it stopped, or you may get lucky. Always expect to pay, if you don't its a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

whiterebel wrote: »
    First line in the VAT/Duty thread is about not asking for help to avoid tax.:eek:

At 23% on $60 (About €56) you may pay €12ish VAT plus €7 An post fee.

The whole point of customs duty and VAT is to make a product more expensive to import. With a low value like this, you may have it stopped, or you may get lucky. Always expect to pay, if you don't its a bonus.

Oops, missed that first line then - didnt post in the vat/duty thread. ok so your talking €20 total to get it shipped to ireland. Thats pretty steep. So how did an item from china cost €20 when it was valued at like €35. Also, at what price do the fees kick in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

SW98 wrote: »
    Oops, missed that first line then - didnt post in the vat/duty thread. ok so your talking €20 total to get it shipped to ireland. Thats pretty steep. So how did an item from china cost €20 when it was valued at like €35. Also, at what price do the fees kick in?

€20 is your VAT and clearance charge, not shipping.

Cost+Shipping+Insurance @ 23% VAT if no duty.
    Duty applies after €127, AFAIR.

An Post charge €7 per customs entry; DHL, FedEx, UPS usually charge more.

whiterebel wrote: »
    €20 is your VAT and clearance charge, not shipping.

Cost+Shipping+Insurance @ 23% VAT if no duty.
    Duty applies after €127, AFAIR.

An Post charge €7 per customs entry; DHL, FedEx, UPS usually charge more.

yeah I know its €20 for vat and not shipping. So basically the you are always going to get charged €7 by an post. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This an otterbox? Get it from amazon.de.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    This an otterbox? Get it from amazon.de.

naw, its a waterproof case - Ghostek Atomic 3.0 for the iphone 7

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah they've the 2.0 that'll work out snightly more. US at 79E is the best bet but personally that's lunacy. Im a case proponent but not into daylight roberry.

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah they've the 2.0 that'll work out snightly more. US at 79E is the best bet but personally that's lunacy. Im a case proponent but not into daylight roberry.

yeah from the videos and all that I have watched it seems well worth it if you could get it for €50 like amazon.com sell it at. wont pay more than that.

Advertisement