Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple warranty reduced from two years?

Options
  • 27-08-2016 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi

My wife's iPhone 6 was having trouble getting and keeping a wifi signal. I tried the usual - updating the firmware and factory resetting the phone but nothing made any difference.
    I brought it into Vodafone as it's less than two years old. They told me that last month, Apple reduced their warranty to one year and to send it away for investigation would cost at least €300.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Surely if the phone was bought with a two year warranty, they can't turn around and reduce it to one?

I had a problem with my own iPhone a couple of years ago and was able to get an exchange at an Apple Store. I was hoping to try the same with this phone in London last week but had to cancel my appointment at the Genius Bar.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

It's always been 1 year I think, you have some extra rights under Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Tell Vodafone you are looking to make a consumer claim on your iPhone.

This is nothing to do with Apple. What they have told you is false as well. The Apple warranty on iPhone has always been 1 year. Outside of this 1 year, your rights as a consumer lie between you and your point of sale.

More info: http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

He'll have to prove it was defective within the first six months though, no? Practically impossible.

He'll have to prove it was defective within the first six months though, no? Practically impossible.

Taking the phone to an Apple Service Provider in Ireland and asking them to fill out a consumer law claim form with the relevant info after a diagnostics could help his situation. Or else a trip to do the same at the Apple Store in Belfast.

Providing a proof of hardware failure to Vodafone should help with a smooth claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Regardless of what apple say, EU Consumer law is pretty clear that high end electronics should have a minimum two year life expectancy and are covered as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Taking the phone to an Apple Service Provider in Ireland and asking them to fill out a consumer law claim form with the relevant info after a diagnostics could help his situation. Or else a trip to do the same at the Apple Store in Belfast.

Providing a proof of hardware failure to Vodafone should help with a smooth claim.

How much would that diagnostic test cost? And would Vodafone also be liable to cover the cost of retrieving this?

Just curious incase this ever happens to myself or family.

How much would that diagnostic test cost? And would Vodafone also be liable to cover the cost of retrieving this?

Just curious incase this ever happens to myself or family.

Free in an Apple Store, I don't know exactly how much a service provider would charge and you could try to claim the fee back as part of the claim but I'm not sure legally if Vodafone would be obliged to cover it.

Regardless of what apple say, EU Consumer law is pretty clear that high end electronics should have a minimum two year life expectancy and are covered as such.

Which is why he needs to speak to Vodafone about it and make a claim. As a consumer, his claim lies with his point of sale. Consumer law doesn't stretch to the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Which is why he needs to speak to Vodafone about it and make a claim. As a consumer, his claim lies with his point of sale. Consumer law doesn't stretch to the manufacturer.

I was planning to contact Vodafone Cust Care on Monday. Some useful bargaining chips above.certainly I'd expect a quality phone to last at least two years.

Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

Vodafone offer two year warranty on all iPhones. Contact customer care on 1907 or post in the Vodafone forum here on boards. Sheena is very helpful there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The 2 year EU directive was never fully implemented in Ireland. Goods are covered for up to 6 years, but you have to go through the Small claims court procedure.

AFAIR, The 6 months part of the law says that if a fault occurs within the first 6 months, it is presumed to be there since it was manufactured.

Advertisement