Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Would a Cat kill and consume an entire pigeon, I a have found two dead pigeons in garden lately in quiet corners , big piles of feathers and the only thing left was a wing and a leg. There is a sparrow hawk around, the cats i see around appear to be house cats and well-fed. I think its the sparrow hawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Would a Cat kill and consume an entire pigeon, I a have found two dead pigeons in garden lately in quiet corners , big piles of feathers and the only thing left was a wing and a leg. There is a sparrow hawk around, the cats i see around appear to be house cats and well-fed. I think its the sparrow hawk.

Could just as likely be either. Buzzards here are partial to woodpigeon as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

I would put my money on sparrowhawk. We had one perched on wall in garden + next day feathers everywhere + half eaten pigeon on the lawn. It was a bit of shocker! Cats don't tend to pluck feathers + eat bird as far as I'm aware. Unfortunately I have seen the local cat catch small birds + then just runs off with them probably to kill + leave 'presents' on their own doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

appledrop wrote: »
    I would put my money on sparrowhawk. We had one perched on wall in garden + next day feathers everywhere + half eaten pigeon on the lawn. It was a bit of shocker! Cats don't tend to pluck feathers + eat bird as far as I'm aware. Unfortunately I have seen the local cat catch small birds + then just runs off with them probably to kill + leave 'presents' on their own doorstep.

My cats eat the middle part,leaving head, outer shell and tail. I rarely see this as they have got told off so many times
    The last rat they killed they left whole on the doorstep which I was glad to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Keplar240B wrote: »

We used to have a cat that caught and consumed and entire collard dove. All that was left was the head, the feet and a load of feathers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We used to have a cat that caught and consumed and entire collard dove. All that was left was the head, the feet and a load of feathers.

And was a well fed cat too. Like mine.

One of mine once came home with a headless hare. Never found out who had the head. He gorged on it then crashed on the settee

There are hares here so who knows now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A new two part Irish programme about Irish Marine life is airing on RTE1 tonight at 9.30
    https://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/955055-irelands-deep-atlantic/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,758 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Base price wrote: »
    A new two part Irish programme about Irish Marine life is airing on RTE1 tonight at 9.30
    https://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/955055-irelands-deep-atlantic/

Thought it was excellent - some really ground breaking footage that I hope will increase the publics appreciation and concern for this wonderfull natural resource

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Thought it was excellent - some really ground breaking footage that I hope will increase the publics appreciation and concern for this wonderfull natural resource
    The under water & drone photography was excellent but I felt that the commentary didn't capture my attention. IMO the commentary should have explained in more detail about the importance of substantial commercial fisheries. Also I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned that in the early 90's our territorial waters were declared as a whale & dolphin sanctuary which I think was a first in the EU at the time. Maybe that's the reason for the sightings of larger number of marine mammals off our Coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Would Pintail be a likely record on the Shannon at this time of year?

Spotted something I didn't recognise today on the far bank of the river. Looked duck-like, big, brown with a very apparent white breast and dark head.

Wouldn't know my ducks very well, but looking through them on BWI site, it looks the most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

whyulittle wrote: »
    Would Pintail be a likely record on the Shannon at this time of year?

Spotted something I didn't recognise today on the far bank of the river. Looked duck-like, big, brown with a very apparent white breast and dark head.

Wouldn't know my ducks very well, but looking through them on BWI site, it looks the most likely.

They can visit the callows in winter but not in any numbers. They normally leave the country by late March though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I hope will increase the publics appreciation and concern for this wonderfull natural resource

Loved it too amazing stuff.

Would be very interesting to see the viewing ratings compared to the program that it replaced.

I think its vital now to have these programs on when people are watching the TV the most instead of the utter garbage that is usually on.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Some filming going on in St Annes Park in Raheny. Dublin. Heron cam.... I spotted the camera on top of a crane at the weekend.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/nature/2018/0416/954934-watch-whats-going-on-in-the-nest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

An early corncrake crexing in my nettles��

An early corncrake crexing in my nettles��

Two calling Corncrake from the nettles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Was out walking on the local beach last night and saw what I am almost sure are Sanderlings. Should they not be up in the high arctic breeding round about now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that i contribute much to it, so this might sound cheeky - is it worth renaming the 'some pictures i took recently' thread?
    i was just thinking that if someone saw that title on the main boards page, they'd probably glide past it as it's not specific as to the content of the photos. could be worth renaming it the nature photography thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

not that i contribute much to it, so this might sound cheeky - is it worth renaming the 'some pictures i took recently' thread?
    i was just thinking that if someone saw that title on the main boards page, they'd probably glide past it as it's not specific as to the content of the photos. could be worth renaming it the nature photography thread?

But does the forum not come up beside the listing, "Nature & Bird Watching > Some pictures I took recently"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it does, but it would possibly help if the thread title was more explicit.

only saw it in silhouette this morning - most likely small bird to nest in a traffic light pole? was using a hole less than an inch wide just below the top of the pole for access. blue tit? was no bigger than one, anyway, i think.

• Advertisement

Probably been loads around already because I haven't been looking out for them, but I saw my first 2 Swifts of 2018 on Tuesday evening.

7 Ravens passed over the house this evening. :)

Breeding pair and their fledged young.

Yeah they've been breeding nearby for a few years at least, never seen that many together though.

Talking of Ravens - has anyone any sightings of them around Ballyboughil/Rolestown area in NCD.
    A few weeks ago I was driving near Ballyboughil and I saw a large black corvid about a third larger (bigger wingspan) than a rook/hooded (grey) crow. The primary wing feathers were noticeably more pronounced iykwim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There's a good chance that there's a carcass in the area.

I think I'll give up with nest box cameras. Last year Blue Tits nested in the only box that didn't have one. I moved a camera from another box into this box over the winter. Guess which box they are nesting in this year? The one I took the camera out of! I'm beginning to wonder if the cameras might deter them somewhat. Do they see their reflection in the little lens? Given a choice, does this cause them to choose the box without?

The only time we got lucky with the camera boxes was with a Robin raising 2 broods in the same box a few years back - but it was the only box with a suitable opening for Robins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Would someone be able to identify these please.

28474645938_95755f81b5_n.jpg
    untitled-8957.jpg by Damien, on Flickr
    41624938124_0a54cd6738_n.jpguntitled-8953.jpg by Damien, on Flickr

41624938124_0a54cd6738_n.jpg

Rhagium bifasciatum

• Advertisement

28474645938_95755f81b5_n.jpg

Had it got a snout, it looks like a Weevil. Possibly Pine Weevil, Hylobius abietis

Advertisement