Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post your actual political views.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

NUmbers 5 and 8 contradict each other . . .:P

'shpose so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

- Instill accountability in all levels of govt and civil service. people should be made responsible for the decisions they make. This includes regulators who failed us.

- Allow retroactive stripping of pensions for state officials, if wrongdoing is found after they have left office. (politicians, senior civil servants, judges, etc)

- Make is easier to dismiss a civil/public servant. no one should be almost impossible to fire - if they are doing their job ok, there is nothing to worry about (labour laws already prevent any unfair dismissals)

- Pro nuclear, combined with renewable. Nuclear is really safe now and is quite green compared with oil/coal/etc if the right reactor type is used.

- Tougher jail time, shorter sentences. Nothing cruel, but being made to work in jail should be on the cards. It should be a deterrent, plus working and achieving something actually helps people. education/classes could be part of the work.

- Go after social welfare fraud. make anyone caught pay off everything they defrauded, plus interest, plus community service/jail time, depending on severity

- Require fathers to be responsible for children financially. Would reduce the number of single mothers with a 'free' house, while the 'unregistered' father lives there too. Shifts some financial responsibility from welfare to the parents. Similar to how the US does it, but limited to a max amount.

- Stronger privacy laws for individuals. open and free communication / govt

- Minister/department for technology. current govt and civil service are very poor in terms of tech, and are taken for rides for computer systems, etc. national broadband scheme is a joke, as was ppars, e-voting, etc.

- Reduce social welfare over time - or bring in work for welfare programs. incentivise working over welfare and eliminate long term unemployed for those able to work.

- Make parents financially accountable for their children's anti social behaviour / damage caused.

- Bring back the basics in education. re-introduce streamed classes based on ability (putting people of different abilities in one class is a disservice to everyone, including the teacher). Teach Irish like other countries teach english, by speaking and immersion.

- 5 euro excess on all medical card usage.

- Reduce fuel taxes on businesses that rely on transport/delivery/etc

- Reduce rates for businesses to allow cost of doing business to come down by making local authorities more efficient.

- Rationalize public services management structure. Remove the extra layers of middle management and remove the 5,000 jobs that the ESRI identified as 'undefined', when the health board merged.

..I could go on ..but it's time for bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I consider myself center right

- first and foremost everyone is equal.

- i believe in as free a market as possible but with strict, strong and swift regulation were it is needed

- i believe everyone has the ability to elevate themselves through hard work and determination and everything should be done to keep this possible. basically the state should insure that everyone has the same minimum starting point in life.

- i believe that everyone should have access to certain basic services like education, health and social welfare. for the first two that dosnt mean the goverment has to directly provide these services but they must provide access to these services for anyone who wants them for example grants so that a least well off person could attend the best university if they have the ability to get in or provide free health insurance so that the poorest can get into good hospitals even if they are private.

- i believe that social welfare should reward people who are only recently unemployed and give only the minimum needed to survive to long term unemployed

- i believe that local issues should be solved by local politicians on a local level, national issues should be dealt with bynational politicians

- i believe that entrepeneurship should be held in huge regard and encouraged at every opportunity.

- i believe it is more important that business's be encouraged to invest here through the likes of tax breaks etc then it is for the individuals in the country to pay a few percent less tax themselves

- i believe that the growth of the middle class is the best way to create equality and not the penalisation of one extreme or another. people should be raised from the lower classes into the middle class to achieve equality not brought down from the upper classes.

im sure there are plenty more

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

I'm quite young but anyway:

- More trams/trains, rethink of Dublin Bus routes and frequency of buses.
    - Pro-Universal Health Care.
    - Pro-abortion.
    - Separation of Church and State.
    - In favour of gay Marriage.
    - Pro-renewable energy, unsure about Nuclear Energy as it has its dangers, must be ran properly.
    - Greatly improve country's broadband quality.
    - Pro-neutrality.
    - Review and re-write of constitution, for a start get rid of the blasphemy law and Article 41.2, which states a woman's rightful place is in the home.
    - Either make the life sentence do what it says on the tin, or reintroduce the death penalty under serious circumstances.
    - Also a bigger focus on rehabilitation rather than imprisonment.
    - I'd only have Gender Quotas if it was divided by the percentage of males/females, in any other case no.
    - New third rate of tax as Labour have proposed.
    - Make energy efficient cars easier to obtain by any means.
    - A massive reduction on minister's pensions, reduction of minister's wages, start from the top.
    - Get started on renewable energy and transport projects immediately, get people back to work and off the dole.

I know I haven't kept to ten but meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Adrian009

I thought it would be interesting to get people to post 10 of their political views and the top five being the ones that matter the most to them.

1:) I am pro nuclear energy. Preferably 2-4 small plants so if any go offline the others can pick up the slack.

2:) I think public sector wages are still too high.

3:) The semi states are a disgrace. The wages paid are utter madness. The waste is unbelievable. I would want to bring in someone from outside the companies and link their wages and bonuses to savings. If they earn 2-3 million fair enough as long as they save 10 times that amount.

4:) I am pro the legalisation of drugs. The war on drugs has been going on for 30 years and we are in a worse positition now than ever. At least out in the open we can control the quality and tax them.

5:) Business rates need to come down dramatically

6:) Im open to the possibility of food stamps or something like that so people on social welfare can't spend any money on drink or smokes.

7:) Prison sentences in this country are absolutely crazy. If you get 5-10 convictions you should be getting min 2 years in prison so thats why im also for the building of more jails.

8:) I think its good that the minimum wage was dropped by a Euro. Simply compare the Irish and English minimum wages and there isn't any other option

9:) I think Irish should continue to be mandatory.

10:) AND GET RID OF THE BLOODY AIR TAX!!

Okay, sure here goes me!

1 - Anti-nuke, because where does all the waste go?
    2 - Probably.
    3 - Ditto.
    4 - I am totally against the use of drugs but seeing as outlawing them has only profited criminals I support legalisation. Think of the tax we'd have!
    5 - Ho hum. Not sure about that.
    6 - For f***'s sake, its their choice to have the odd fag or pint. Have you any idea how tough life is in those circumstances? Ya need those little comforts. We're not a nanny state. Or at least should'nt be.
    7 - The entire justice systems seems to need a rehaul. And we need more TD's in prison not in the Dail. If found guilty of fraud or any serious crime you should not be allowed to sit as a TD ever again (or in the first place).
    8 - Yeah but who benifits?
    9 - Let it be optional, and stand or fall on its own merits.
    10 - I take the bus.

• Advertisement

Bertser wrote: »
    I'm quite young but anyway:

- More trams/trains, rethink of Dublin Bus routes and frequency of buses.
    - Pro-Universal Health Care.
    - Pro-abortion.
    - Separation of Church and State.
    - In favour of gay Marriage.
    - Pro-renewable energy, unsure about Nuclear Energy as it has its dangers, must be ran properly.
    - Greatly improve country's broadband quality.
    - Pro-neutrality.
    - Review and re-write of constitution, for a start get rid of the blasphemy law and Article 41.2, which states a woman's rightful place is in the home.
    - Either make the life sentence do what it says on the tin, or reintroduce the death penalty under serious circumstances.
    - Also a bigger focus on rehabilitation rather than imprisonment.
    - I'd only have Gender Quotas if it was divided by the percentage of males/females, in any other case no.
    - New third rate of tax as Labour have proposed.
    - Make energy efficient cars easier to obtain by any means.
    - A massive reduction on minister's pensions, reduction of minister's wages, start from the top.
    - Get started on renewable energy and transport projects immediately, get people back to work and off the dole.

Right think I've said enough :D

All good ideas, Bertser. I'm not in favour of abortion but unless its by a woman bearing my child what other women in an unenvieable position do is none of my business. I thought we already had a very clear seperation of church and state, especially after all the sex scandals. Pro-neutrality because our own interests come first. Make life life; not sure at all about reintroduceing death penealty. I remember a time when the likes of the Gilford Four and Bermingham Six were jailed for crimes they did not commit. Not in favor of gender quotas, only preformance merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Here I sit, sober as an English judge and the realisation has hit me that the voters of Ireland are about to vote into power a party whose main plank is to bail out the banks, developers and foreign mega banks. Tell me I am not hallucinating and that we will not have poverty stricken families with malnourished children, pensioners eating dog food, civil servants on the new reduced dole, hospitals boarded shut and many other depressing incidents. What happened, is there something in the water?

Adrian009 wrote: »
    All good ideas, Bertser. I'm not in favour of abortion but unless its by a woman bearing my child what other women in an unenvieable position do is none of my business. I thought we already had a very clear seperation of church and state, especially after all the sex scandals. Pro-neutrality because our own interests come first. Make life life; not sure at all about reintroduceing death penealty. I remember a time when the likes of the Gilford Four and Bermingham Six were jailed for crimes they did not commit. Not in favor of gender quotas, only preformance merit.

I think abortion has to be available in some circumstances though, especially in cases of rape. Yeah suppose there is but some things written in the constitution to do with the Catholic church need removal. I'd only have a death penalty in serious cases, for example if there was something like the Mumbai terrorist attacks here, do those people deserve to be alive? To me no, but I know that many would disagree. Yeah that's fair, now that I think about it gender quotas aren't a great idea, but wherever they are used I hope they're split by percentage of male/female and not simply 50/50 or something like that.

upmeath wrote: »
    Pro-EU federalism If we integrated further instead of clinging to ideas of nationalism we'd have sorted this shíte out sooner - look to the U.S., the show must go on whether California crumbles or Ohio's unemployed, strength in unity.

But the US states are just that, whereas most states in Europe are NATION-states. Nice idea, but use with caution.

Bertser wrote: »
    I think abortion has to be available in some circumstances though, especially in cases of rape. Yeah suppose there is but some things written in the constitution to do with the Catholic church need removal. I'd only have a death penalty in serious cases, for example if there was something like the Mumbai terrorist attacks here, do those people deserve to be alive? To me no, but I know that many would disagree. Yeah that's fair, now that I think about it gender quotas aren't a great idea, but wherever they are used I hope they're split by percentage of male/female and not simply 50/50 or something like that.

I agree that life must mean life but if the death penalty were ever to be reintroduced ... there is no comeback from it. I'd prefer not to have it at all because we're all too human and would F it up. Incidently I don't think they deserve to be alive either but as much as I could do would be to hand them some rope. I could care less about a person carrying a pair of testes or overaries, so long as they get the job done.

• Advertisement

I really would hope we wouldn't mess it up but yeah wouldn't put it past us. And agreed, just hope in situations where gender quotas are used they've listened to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Hasschu wrote: »
    What happened, is there something in the water?

Fluoride.
    You'll notice the vast majority of right wing or establishment loving people will have lovely teeth as they drink tap water unfiltered.
    Whereas left wingers and those who show more disdain or are more suspicious of the establishment usually have bad teeth, due to filtering the water before drinking it, or just avoiding it altogether.

Same with the orange coloured street lights, which are everywhere bar working class area's - hence the rise in the anti establishment vote in those area's whereas the more affluent area's still have orange street lights to keep them peaceful and in step with more establishment parties.

Both would explain some way as to why Irish people have so much apathy and rarely if ever actually protest.

True story... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16 perch

Fas course mandatory for all TDs. Subjects: Irish, economics, law, ethics, constitutional theory, public speaking, rules of all sports, where to get a haircut in Dublin. Whatever…..

A bunch of schoolteachers is the narrowest basis for government that I can imagine… I refuse to quote G.B. Shaw on the subject. A lot of attention should be paid to the problem of getting high calibre candidates to stand. I suggest a reformed Senate below and maybe they should have the job of ensuring regulations so that we are better served in this regard.

Independent appointments commission to be set up for the appointment of all board members to semi-states and quangos. Existing board members to be forced to resign and re-apply to the new appointments commission. This major source of corruption in our society to be dealt with once and for all.

The corrupt practice of party appointments to the Senate should be abolished. A smaller house is needed, but there is room for a more diverse range of experienced
    Senators. Perhaps some retired judges, senior bureaucrats, central bankers, and maybe a few ex-ministers plus some churchmen. This chamber to be given the knotty problems which are not easily solved in the lower house. They could have time to mull over such difficult issues as reform of public service, independent appointments commission for appointment of boards to semi-states and quangos, morality issues such as the time value of strategies concerning the integration of so called travelling people, and the ethics surrounding sex and childbirth. The upper house would send working papers to the lower house as a basis for the writing of new law. The last thing which is needed is a throwing out of the House and a consequent dumbing down of the whole of politics in this country.

In this election, make a protest vote for an independent candidate to get across the message that major change is needed. Vote for a major party as your second and third choices etc. Most independents will not be elected so your second preference vote will
    count hundred per cent for your major party choice. If you vote for the major party choice first, then only the surplus will be distributed to your second choices, and you will have reduced the effectiveness of your vote by between a third and half. PR is not an intuitive voting system.

I could go on…..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Tremelo wrote: »
    Outlaw the removal of hedgerows

Say you had a partition wall in your house, and it was in an awkward place, so you decide to remove it, do you think this should be illegal if theres a couple of mice living in it? The same can be said for hedgerows - if its in an awkward place and is making farming difficult, then the government shouldn't stop its removal cos of a few birds . . .:rolleyes:

Regulate it maybe, outlaw it, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Adrian009 wrote: »
    But the US states are just that, whereas most states in Europe are NATION-states. Nice idea, but use with caution.

Nation-states are a very corrupt ideal. Take two in Europe: the UK (Cornish, Welsh, Scottish, Manx, English) and Spain (Castilian, Catalunyan, Galician, Basque). These groupings within states are all very different nations, not all of whom are given regional autonomy. I acknowledge the point you're making, and I'll respond with a favourite quotation of mine:

"A nation is a society united by delusions about its ancestry and by common hatred of its neighbors." - William Ralph Inge

France has Bretons and Basques, it's almost too late at night to get started on Belgium, the list goes on. Let's reduce Europe to states. If the aforementioned regions want autonomy let them operate (and be represented) independently within a Federal EU. If they've a different way of doing things re:taxation or social policies they should be given the freedom to do so, but they shouldn't be given freedom only to be allowed to degrade into ultra-nationalist backwaters, we do need to be very careful about that.

Advertisement