Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before and After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Ok. I've figured this out.
    Here's one from Saturday's race in the park and another from 2005.

Great picture! Wine and fag too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

These were taken in the same 3000m race a year a part , still a good bit of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

what's with the black socks in 2008?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

RJC wrote: »
    what's with the black socks in 2008?
    Shins were bene held together with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

There's a world of difference between 2008 and 2009 there Shels. Your other pics are great too.

Woddle and EarlyEvening, those pictures are just unreal! I nearly fell off my stool when I saw Slogger Jogger's! Now I know why you called yourself Slogger Jogger back then!

MarieC - damn impressive!

Tunney - mental

Stupid Private - Hard core

I think Bren74's difference is mad. Damn! You look *so* unhealthy in the before picture.

Oisin, if I saw that on an American infomercial I wouldn't believe it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

great thread woddle. i'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

This is very inspiring for me as only started running around spring. Have lost 10lbs of fat over the summer from that.

You know all those people who go for quick fix, magic pills, magic drink type diets? (And I used to be one of them) You could just refer them to this thread.

It's inspiring cos it's regular Irish peep's getting fit & losing weight, not someone on an ad or some celeb. Makes it more realistic.

Congrats to everyone, you all look fab now & you look fit, not in need of spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

The chest hair waxing must have hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

In the picture from Crete I was about 16-16.5 stone, in the one from the Cork Marathon 07 I was about 12 stone.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

mloc123 wrote: »
    See attached... still abit to go for race season next year. Ignore the 'photo face' :D
    hey thats mad , just looking at your pic there i think you were across from me in transition ,pulse 09 triathlon , clogherhead ?, what was your no. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Seres wrote: »
    hey thats mad , just looking at your pic there i think you were across from me in transition ,pulse 09 triathlon , clogherhead ?, what was your no. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 harrymchoudi

No joke here but you guys would have made a great tv programme, like the ones, "biggest loser" and the like. The results are very impressive, actually im quite shocked/surprised, incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I heard about this thread, so I thought I'd add to it.

Heres a pic of me in December 06 and then in April 07, after I cut out all the bad stuff and took up long walks that gradually turned into running.

before and after.jpg

and then me staring at the finish line for my first marathon in October 07, about to fulfill a 7 year old promise.

Dub Marathon2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Aimman wrote: »

Heres a pic of me in December 06 and then in April 07, after I cut out all the bad stuff and took up long walks that gradually turned into running.

before and after.jpg

and then me staring at the finish line for my first marathon in October 07, about to fulfill a 7 year old promise.

Dub Marathon2.jpg
    Nice Aimann very nice:)
    I know your doing Mooathon and Dublin(see you there).
    What Marathons you planning on doing next year bud?

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Nice Aimann very nice:)
    I know your doing Mooathon and Dublin(see you there).
    What Marathons you planning on doing next year bud?

Thanks,

Well, I have it in my head since the Cork marathon to try for the Connamaraton Ultra (the 40 mile one, not the 100 Mile, thats for 2011, lol) But after Dublin, I'll see what I need to do for that in terms of training, speed etc. Fancy pushing the limits and seeing how much further I can go after 26.2 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I forsee much pain in your future:)
    Maybe 1 day a longer race than 26.2 but i think ill wait a few years.
    Im thinking of doing 3 maratons next year injury permitting. Been looking at alot of marathons and i thionk maybe either cork or belfast and i was looking at Dingle with its lovely scenery. Then 1 foreign marathon in between them in around the start of july, any suggestions?

I think marathon calanders usually pop up on the internet around January with definite dates for races. The only foreign one I could recommend from experience is Berlin, but thats in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

That's a seriously impressive transformation in 5 months. Lots of people could learn from that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

In four months? That is incredible...amazing transformation.
    Can you give a little more detail on the dietary changes as I'm sure that was a huge factor as well....

Izoard wrote: »
    In four months? That is incredible...amazing transformation.
    Can you give a little more detail on the dietary changes as I'm sure that was a huge factor as well....

Cheers,

Basically, I just suddenly stopped all the bad stuff. Fried food, alcohol, sweet stuff, chocolate etc.

I also increased my veg intake and ate a bit more fruit. Sometimes I'd have a bowl of raw veg, or stir fry in balsamic vinegar, soya sauce and water. Basically, i had a very low fat intake. I heard pepper and spicy foods increases metabolism, so I put lots of pepper or chilli powder or chilli flakes in a lot of my foods. Cut out salt too, along with pork and processed meat. Just had lean pieces of beef or chicken (no skin)

I took multivit tables and cod liver oil every day and drank plenty of water.

I was doing long walks most of the days, which was where I lost a lot of the fat and then eventually, I got bored walkinng and started to add little bits of running until i was able to do a 4km loop without stopping running.

To give the dinners a bit of flavour, I didnt use shop bouth sauces, but made my own, so I could keep an eye on what goes into it.

I'm sure its not the most suitable nutritious method, and no doubt, people will find things that I shouldnt have done, but it worked for me.

Oh, and I;m back enjoying beer becuase I can run it off the next day. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Super story....well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I think marathon calanders usually pop up on the internet around January with definite dates for races. The only foreign one I could recommend from experience is Berlin, but thats in September.

If you want to run Connemara, it might already be too late by then. At least once it has sold out in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Cheers,

Basically, I just suddenly stopped all the bad stuff. Fried food, alcohol, sweet stuff, chocolate etc.

I also increased my veg intake and ate a bit more fruit. Sometimes I'd have a bowl of raw veg, or stir fry in balsamic vinegar, soya sauce and water. Basically, i had a very low fat intake. I heard pepper and spicy foods increases metabolism, so I put lots of pepper or chilli powder or chilli flakes in a lot of my foods. Cut out salt too, along with pork and processed meat. Just had lean pieces of beef or chicken (no skin)

I took multivit tables and cod liver oil every day and drank plenty of water.

I was doing long walks most of the days, which was where I lost a lot of the fat and then eventually, I got bored walkinng and started to add little bits of running until i was able to do a 4km loop without stopping running.

To give the dinners a bit of flavour, I didnt use shop bought sauces, but made my own, so I could keep an eye on what goes into it.

I'm sure its not the most suitable nutritious method, and no doubt, people will find things that I shouldnt have done, but it worked for me.

Oh, and I;m back enjoying beer becuase I can run it off the next day. :-)

brilliant stuff Aimman, great post. I know you did cut out lots of junk but i think people often emphasise the things they gave up - but i think its more about what you do eat than what you don't. Replacing processed factory made foods with simple meals made from fresh ingredients is a major step forward. Its amazing how once you've made these kind of changes to your diet, there's little inclination to go back. well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Super thread & well done to all for achieving and posting their transformations! Has to help encourage more into running and keeping fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

First time seeing this tread - now going to dig out my old pics!

Fair play to everyone who has posted to date - just shows with some dedication & releatic life style changes shifting weight can be easily done!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Here's my before & after pics.

I remember the "before" picture being taken and at the time thinking "Oh yeah, I'm pretty skinny" and then seeing the actual photo and realising that I wasn't actually as skinny as I had thought .... not at all actually !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hate you all. How do you do all this? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

This thread is making me sad... :(

Well done to all that have put the work in. Thumbs up.

I did a good bit of running a while back, to supplement the arduous training regime my local soccer club employs... ONE session a week...

I was always a little bit on the rounder side of a healthy weight, but I was at around 15 stone (very roughly...) and 5ft 6"...

A few years ago I took part in a reality TV show that involved being taken away for a while with a group of others with weight problems, without our possessions. It was for about 20 days. The food was fruit in the morning, a mixture of veg and "high energy" veg type burgers and veg and some chicken or fish for dinner. Fruit could be had when you liked also. Drinking water was encouraged and times were designated for drinking, to make sure people did actually drink enough.

We did A LOT OF WALKING in the first week, with other exercises and activities being ramped up over time. Eventually, running and some arduous hill walking and mountain "climbs" were done. Those of us that could handle it anyway. My recovery times after it very amazing. Even though I was still only a stone lighter. Amazing what 20 days can do.

Unfortunately, it never took. Once I was back in my own routine again it was hard to keep it up. I played football and was even asked to come to the A team training (bypassing the B team), but when I did a bit of an injury to my knee, the lack of soccer and my lifestyle meant I was back to my old self soon again.

Ah well... maybe I'll do something about it someday... Jesus, I just realised this is a fair rant... I'm off to the PI forum. :D

EDIT: This has absolutely sfa to do with the thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Only seen this thread now (linked by Woddle) Jesus Eamonn/Frank i would not recognise either of you now from the old photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I must dig out my before and after photos [indeed, should do a new after one], but this time last year I had not started to loose weight yet and was over 20 stone and miserable and had never run a step..

Only started the whole process early June :cool:

Advertisement