Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BHAA 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

http://bhaa.ie/events/ Always a great race & an enjoyable way to kick start your year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Read my mind was searching for a race for the end of March and the 4 miler a great one that I had completely forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

first XC race and first 5 mile run of the year, hope Im not last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Nice race today, thanks as usual to the organisers. The ground was pretty good, not too bad a breeze and a little chilly. Good for this time of year.

2 miles though was TOUGH never mind the 5 the (mainly) lads had to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

BHAA 2015

Male Race 201 runners
    Female Race 64 runners

O35 Female top three finishers awarded prizes
    O35 Male no prizes given

13 Female finishers O35 - 3 prizes awarded
    38 Male finishers O35 - 0

This is ludicrous and discriminatory! I shall not be renewing my yearly membership

• Advertisement

epo addict wrote: »
    This is ludicrous and discriminatory! I shall not be renewing my yearly membership

Sure you are in wexford so set up your own thing down there with an >35 category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

BHAA 2015

Male Race 201 runners
    Female Race 64 runners

O35 Female top three finishers awarded prizes
    O35 Male no prizes given

I can see why you might think like that based on those stats but if you are after prizes and money, you are targeting the wrong race. BHAA is run by hardworking volunteers. I think it is a fantastic offering. I use the cross country races in Jan every year to kick start the year and as hard training runs.
    PS I was 2nd male O/35 and was halfway up the M1 as the prizes were being distributed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I think the bhaa regard vets starting at 40 not 35 for men even though they do list the 35 in results. Silly to be honest.

I agree that its not about prizes etc with the bhaa and its great value however I do think they should be standardised with cash prizes for top 3 in all their events. Perhaps 1 in the master cats per cat is enough.

Some of the prizes down the years tough have been let's just say not really thought out like xl jackets leggings etc.

Parkruns are great in the sense you do your run then head off early for breakfast )

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

As you wish. Have you ever volunteered to assist at a race or to join a committee or have you ever attended the BHAA AGM?

It is interesting that this "issue" has never once reared its head in the nine years that I have been on the BHAA committee or at the same number of AGMs. What you have overlooked is the remainder of the prizes awarded at any BHAA race. The standard list of prizes is on the BHAA website and includes prizes for 12 teams x 3 runners for men/mixed teams and 3 team prizes x 3 runners for women's teams. I haven't heard any complaints about that. So at least 45 runners get a team prize at every race. (Don't forget that race entry fee is only €10.)

In addition to race prizes, all members are eligible for league prizes in winter and summer leagues These are not based on age categories and are funded from the annual membership fee. For the summer league 2014, there were 6 men's categories and 2 women's categories with 10 prizes in each from €70 down to €25, subject to people running in a minimum of four races. The winter league prizes will probably be similary. (And don't forget that annual membership is only €15.)

The prize structure may not be perfect and we could all pick holes in it but rather than having a rant on this forum, why don't you look into the matter thoroughly and submit a proposal to the committee?
    I think the bhaa regard vets starting at 40 not 35 for men even though they do list the 35 in results. Silly to be honest.

I agree that its not about prizes etc with the bhaa and its great value however I do think they should be standardised with cash prizes for top 3 in all their events. Perhaps 1 in the master cats per cat is enough.

Some of the prizes down the years tough have been let's just say not really thought out like xl jackets leggings etc.

Parkruns are great in the sense you do your run then head off early for breakfast )

The results list is based on the software package we use and just produces the leading finishers in each age category and it is not possible at present to suppress one of these.

The distinction between male vets (40+) and female vets (35+) is a historical one but there has never been any move to change them.

Prizes are a matter for the individual race organisers but are monitored by the committee. In the past, organisers have been given advice in relation to the provision of some types of running gear and some types of vouchers. Again, not much feedback to the committee.

As for race start times, it is intended to have race starts as early as possible, consistent with getting access to and setting up at the registration and race venues. Suggestions for improvement and offers of help are always welcome.

Finally - NiallG4: "I was 2nd male O/35 and was halfway up the M1 as the prizes were being distributed" - Yes, we noticed that you were not present when your name was called out for a team prize!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Racman wrote: »
    As you wish. Have you ever volunteered to assist at a race or to join a committee or have you ever attended the BHAA AGM?

It is interesting that this "issue" has never once reared its head in the nine years that I have been on the BHAA committee or at the same number of AGMs. What you have overlooked is the remainder of the prizes awarded at any BHAA race. The standard list of prizes is on the BHAA website and includes prizes for 12 teams x 3 runners for men/mixed teams and 3 team prizes x 3 runners for women's teams. I haven't heard any complaints about that. So at least 45 runners get a team prize at every race. (Don't forget that race entry fee is only €10.)

In addition to race prizes, all members are eligible for league prizes in winter and summer leagues These are not based on age categories and are funded from the annual membership fee. For the summer league 2014, there were 6 men's categories and 2 women's categories with 10 prizes in each from €70 down to €25, subject to people running in a minimum of four races. The winter league prizes will probably be similary. (And don't forget that annual membership is only €15.)

The prize structure may not be perfect and we could all pick holes in it but rather than having a rant on this forum, why don't you look into the matter thoroughly and submit a proposal to the committee?

The results list is based on the software package we use and just produces the leading finishers in each age category and it is not possible at present to suppress one of these.

The distinction between male vets (40+) and female vets (35+) is a historical one but there has never been any move to change them.

Prizes are a matter for the individual race organisers but are monitored by the committee. In the past, organisers have been given advice in relation to the provision of some types of running gear and some types of vouchers. Again, not much feedback to the committee.

As for race start times, it is intended to have race starts as early as possible, consistent with getting access to and setting up at the registration and race venues. Suggestions for improvement and offers of help are always welcome.

Finally - NiallG4: "I was 2nd male O/35 and was halfway up the M1 as the prizes were being distributed" - Yes, we noticed that you were not present when your name was called out for a team prize!

No offence meant Racman. I would not have a bad word said about the BHAA. I had to be back for childrens football match. It was my first time on a winning team at BHAA race so not used to that but I knew Tom was there to collect it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Will the online membership renewal form be available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Doh - thought i'd re-enabled that back on Saturday

http://bhaa.ie/join/

Working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gleedog

Going to give some of these a shot. XC til March-excellent!

Next race is next week. The North County Farmers XC

http://bhaa.ie/events/north-county-farmers-2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Next up is the Garda XC, starting and finishing near the Magazine Fort this Saturday.

http://bhaa.ie/events/garda-2015/

I haven't done this one before, but I'm looking forward to the challenge of a XC race with serious hills included. Anyone else from here going? Sure what better way to start off Valentine's Day :)

I have no Vday plans so the romance of cross will be my love for the day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'm running this one - completely new environment for me so looking forward to it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Next up is the Garda XC, starting and finishing near the Magazine Fort this Saturday.

http://bhaa.ie/events/garda-2015/

I haven't done this one before, but I'm looking forward to the challenge of a XC race with serious hills included. Anyone else from here going? Sure what better way to start off Valentine's Day :)

It's a lovely little course. One of the more interesting courses in the BHAA calendar. Most races take place around some GAA/Football/Rugby pitches so its nice to get up and down some hills for a change. I'll be taking part anyway. Don't intend on going flat out as I've been racing a lot recently but stranger things have been known to happen :).

This is will give you an idea of what to expect. Ladies 2 mile race @ 11am, Mens 4 Mile @ 11.30

• Advertisement

emerald007 wrote: »
    This is will give you an idea of what to expect. Ladies 2 mile race @ 11am, Mens 4 Mile @ 11.30

Or maybe not - the video has sound effects like "squelch" and "splash" but since there hasn't been a drop of rain recently, the course should be quite firm.

Oops, now I remember - that patch was wet because the Civil Defence were doing some sort of a pumping drill right before the race - and down onto that stretch of the course.

But we will have the hill flattened down though.

Finished in less than half an hour, a cross country PB. Slow first mile, and the announcer was calling the leaders down the straight as I struggled to complete lap 2 (didn't get lapped though), but I finished strong to dip under 30 minutes. Great support around the course today, and the treats went down nicely afterwards. On a personal level, a much better performance than my Raheny 5 run - or anything else I've done this year - and good for confidence with another tilt at the Carlingford HM coming up. Well done to all who ran today.

Great race. Well organised, great support too, was really nice! Glad I've signed up for the year!

Disappointed to be caught and put back into 5th though..kinda forgot I was in a race haha

Gleedog wrote: »
    Great race. Well organised, great support too, was really nice! Glad I've signed up for the year!

Disappointed to be caught and put back into 5th though..kinda forgot I was in a race haha

Must have been a Boardise 5-6-7 then with smmoore79 sandwiched in between the two of us.

My second time doing this race and its definitely one of the highlights of the racing calendar. Really interesting course with some testers of climbs and tight technical corners. Nice forest section too which gives it a real authentic cross country feel, especially when compared to the majority of courses that just loop around playing fields. Great support out there too, I'd say largely due to the Lord Mayor Series that was being run in conjunction with this.

The BHAA posted up this video on Youtube that gives you a taste of the course and the atmosphere on the day.

race report of last weeks Garda race
    http://bhaa.ie/garda-cross-country-2015-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sportygerry

The next BHAA Cross Country Races take place beside Dublin Airport at ALSAA on Saturday March 7th.
    The Women's 2 mile starts at 11am and the Men's 5 mile starts at 11.30am with both run over a fast
    flat course. The entry fee is €10 for BHAA Members and €15 for day members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

AIB and NUI Maynooth invite you and your friends to take part in two super flat cross country races in the picturesque and historical Old Campus of NUI Maynooth on Saturday 21st March. 2 miles for the women at 11:00 & 4 for the men at 11.30.

Last chance to bag those extra points for the winter league. :p

Dublin commuter line trains, and number 66 and 67 Dublin Buses will get you to Maynooth. If you are driving, we recommend parking in the New Campus.

You can register online for the race here: http://bhaa.ie/events/aibnui-2015/. Online registration is open to everyone, but we particularly request that day members register online.

Driving directions from Dublin
    From the M4, leave motorway on the exit signposted Straffan, Naas, Maynooth, then at the roundabout take the 3rd exit: Road – R406 (signposted Maynooth). Continue straight to Maynooth village. At the traffic lights in the Square, turn left and continue down Main Street.

**Free Parking** New campus: Turn right at the traffic lights at the Roost. Follow the main road, as it turns left out of the town. The North campus is clearly signposted a few hundred metres along this road on your right.

**Metered Parking** Old campus: Go straight ahead at the traffic lights at the Roost. The University gates are straight ahead. The college has advised us that paid parking is required here and that clamping may be in operation.

Is it just my web browser or is the bhaa.ie site not working too well over the past couple of weeks?

Is it just my web browser or is the bhaa.ie site not working too well over the past couple of weeks?

I tried accessing it last week to check directions to the race and yesterday and today for the results but no luck. Its been a bit on and off for the whole year really. I could never criticise the BHAA though. I enjoy their races too much :D. Let them sort it out when they sort out, is my way of thinking. Have a rough idea of where I came anyway.

• Advertisement

Yes, the site has been down several times recently. Our tech gurus are unhappy with the hosting and are in the process of moving to another hosting company (i.e. this was being done on Friday last).

As for the results - lack of technical knowledge is the main difficulty. Our main expert was away this weekend alas but we will try to get the results up asap.

Thanks for your understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I see it is not possible to enter the K Club online just yet.
    THE ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM IS CURRENTLY DISABLED WHILE WE PREPARE FOR THE NEXT BHAA EVENT. REGISTRATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE DAY AT THE NEXT EVENT. SEE YOU THERE.

Do you know if the online registration will be enabled after the next event, or do you have to turn up in person?
    Is there a limit on numbers?

Thanks

Online registration will be re-activated as soon as possible. Overall, we prefer that people enter online, particularly for races that tend to have big numbers. Pre-entry facilitates quicker production of results etc. For the K Club last year, online entry was compulsory unless you were either a member or prepared to sign up as a member on the day. In practical terms, there would be a limit of around 500 for the K Club race and if that number was looking likely, there would probably be a restriction coming up the the race date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Site is back up and running, I've just registered for the K club 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Me too! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Im trying to sign up for the RTE 5 Mile. Is the site down again because when I click on the payment button, nothing happens?

• Advertisement

I'll be there. I ran this race two years ago and loved it. The post race feed alone makes it worth the trip :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Sunny morning. Good course. Abundance of hot dogs and cookies afterwards. Lovely facilities.
    Entry: a tenner.
    Can't believe it's over three years since my last Bhaa race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great event today, course is fast and the spread afterwards was beyond brilliant. Thanks to the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

It was a bit windy out there today, but it was great to catch up with so many familiar faces, and those cookies and pastries after made up for all the pain (almost) :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Excellent event. The course was well-measured, well-stewarded, well organised (e.g. with the water station available on two occasions on account of the looped course, i.e. allows people to choose whether to take on fluids first time, second time or both), and a great spread of food afterwards.
    Good to see that it taps into local clubs and meet-and-train groups in the mid-Leinster area, though it was still nice to see so many familiar BHAA faces. (I hadn't run a BHAA race since the middle of last year, though the term 'run' might be something of an exaggeration in terms of what I did today - long, slow path to recovery).
    I heard that last year some of the road races weren't as well attended as previously, but given that there are so many competing events, e.g. ParkRuns etc, I can't see how the individual race organisers or BHAA committee volunteers would have anything to worry about if today is any guideline re projected numbers. (The first BHAA road race of 2015, the 4 miler in Raheny, clashed with the Dunboyne 4 miler on the same weekend, but it looks like every weekend will probably have an event of some description. I'll look forward to some of the mid-week events over the summer).

Congratulations to the organisers on a great race. 440 entries were mentioned!

A tenner in and a great spread at the end. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Set a big PB for myself at this run (worried I'll never be able to better t it! :) )
    Amazing spread of food afterwards, the best I've ever seen.
    The start is a bit tight but other than that a nice route. The wind seemed to be with us more than against us which was nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

On the BHAA calendar there is an entry for Sept 11th saying 10km/10M?? Road Race ??

Does anyone know anything about this? Looking for a 10K race for that weekend.

http://bhaa.ie/calendar-2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

adrian522 wrote: »
    On the BHAA calendar there is an entry for Sept 11th saying 10km/10M?? Road Race ??

Does anyone know anything about this? Looking for a 10K race for that weekend.

[ul]

Haven't heard anything definite.

That slot used to be Dublin Bus 10 miler in Rathcoole. Later Gerard Kirwan filled the gap as the Irish Pearl Izumi distributor and hosted the race under that label for a year or two in Knocklyon, Firhouse directions. Then Grant Thornton took up the mantle, running a 10k for a few years, but the Dublin docklands 5k at that time of year takes them from the BHAA race organising fray.

It seems to be an unhappy/unlucky slot: I suspect that the Dublin Half-Marathon and other autumnal events crowd it out at that time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

emerald007 wrote: »

I have convinced 17 people from work to sign up for this, not bad from at total of 60. Looking forward to it and hopefully the weather is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Looks like the sun will shine for tonights 5k on Sandymount strand. Hopefully that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great race in Dunboyne on Tues evening.
    First time doing this race and the course was excellent. Got stuck too far back at the start and probably lost up to 10 seconds because of this, but everything else was great.
    Finished in 33:55 - a 30sec PB on Terenure.

Good to catch up with a few boardsies on the evening too.
    One query though: I offered the €15 entry fee for a day runner but was told that it was only €10 tonight...was that just a mistake or was there some other reason for this?

Definitely one for next year anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Trinity Track 10th June

I've never done this event before (something always seems to crop up :rolleyes:) so really looking forward to it this year. Just curious if people tend to do both events on offer (1200m and 2000m) or just the one ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement