Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

running with a new born

• 08-02-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hey all. The wife is expecting at the end of June. In the process of reviewing jogging buggies as we want to be able to run with our little one. is it possible to run with a newborn?
    Any advice on what buggy I should look at?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Congratulations. I do a reasonable amount of buggy running, and a great way to get the miles in. For a recent marathon cycle I did all my long runs (including a few 20 milers!) with the buggy. Time efficient too - easy to get the young one to nap, whilst giving the wife some needed peaceful moments. Also some nice moments with baby.

Not recommended that you do it before, I think, 4 months. Baby needs to be able to support his/her own head before being bounced around in the buggy.

Can't recommend a specific model as I was given a second hand one for free. However, they're quite expensive, so worth keeping an eye on Adverts.ie etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Been doing a lot of research into this topic as well recently and still baffled about what to get. Everything I've read seem to suggest more around the 6 month mark before you can run with the buggy. One thing I have spotted though, don't get a BabyJogger model expecting it to be suitable for running with as every one of theirs states "not suitable for jogging with" on the spec sheet, so that is just a marketing trick in the brand naming.

Have been eyeing up various models at running events and some trail parkruns etc and one of the Phil and Teds seem a popular choice, or if you can find a supplier a Bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Doesn't or did one of the marathon talk presenters (Martin?) regularly run sub 18/19 park runs with 'Ruby' plus training runs - might be worth checking which one they use?

BeepBeep67 wrote:
    Doesn't or did one of the marathon talk presenters (Martin?) regularly run sub 18/19 park runs with 'Ruby' plus training runs - might be worth checking which one they use?

Probably the "Bob" one that they constantly plug on the parkrun show. I'd expect all the presenters got free ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

yeovil-parkrun-september13.jpg

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Been doing a lot of research into this topic as well recently and still baffled about what to get. Everything I've read seem to suggest more around the 6 month mark before you can run with the buggy. One thing I have spotted though, don't get a BabyJogger model expecting it to be suitable for running with as every one of theirs states "not suitable for jogging with" on the spec sheet, so that is just a marketing trick in the brand naming.

Have been eyeing up various models at running events and some trail parkruns etc and one of the Phil and Teds seem a popular choice, or if you can find a supplier a Bob.

Legally they can't say that you can run with any of them anymore due to health and safety. I have Baby Jogger Performance ( same type Paul Radciff used) Its great. Simple to put in and out of the car as it folds flat. Was using it with my 3 year old last summer a lot. She is too big for it now so her sister that is 6 months now will be going in it. The raincover it came with was a generic one but I went and got the official one also as the generic one catches a lot of wind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The BabyJogger ones do seem to be very easy to fold and light for getting in and out of the car. If Paula can get away with using one of them then they can't be that bad for running with I guess.

The BabyJogger ones do seem to be very easy to fold and light for getting in and out of the car. If Paula can get away with using one of them then they can't be that bad for running with I guess.

You probably want a flat uninterrupted (by roads) route that there is not many walkers on to really use it. I use it on the straight road in Cork. They are designed for straight lines and you have to stop to turn a right angle but gradual turn works fine. No issues running 7 min mile with one. Never had a moment where I was afraid it would fall over or anything like that. Have done long runs in it too. You can store water and gels in the back of it which is handy.

Going on a route where there are dogs can be a good thing as if your child likes animals it will keep them interested. I don't think they would fall asleep during a run as mine never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

barrymac20 wrote: »
    Hey all. The wife is expecting at the end of June. In the process of reviewing jogging buggies as we want to be able to run with our little one. is it possible to run with a newborn?
    Any advice on what buggy I should look at?

In the period around the birth you will have to be inventive about maintaining your running. Id suggest being prepared to jog for the various messages and small shop runs that will arise. These multiple small runs will maintain the vast amount of your fitness.

Get a little bit of speed in the legs for the last period before the birth. This can be easily maintained by strides. Otherwise you'll be a long time without running fast.

Don't plan any big "last race before the new arrival" races too close to the due date.

Basically tailor your fitness to be in a position to easily maintain it and be inventive about planning potential runs.

Best of luck!

demfad wrote: »
    Don't plan any big "last race before the new arrival" races too close to the due date.

London Marathon doesn't count as a big race does it? :)

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    I don't think they would fall asleep during a run as mine never did.

Mine conks out everytime, every single time....and he's a terrible sleeper in general! I've even given consideration to a 4am buggy run during some bad nights.

London Marathon doesn't count as a big race does it? :)

Its big enough I hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm due late May/early June and hoping when the older kids go back to school in Sept that i'll be able to jog in the mornings with the baby after the drop off. I have a Mountain Buggy Terrain. It's a lie flat buggy but i also have a carry cot. I'm not sure if 3mths is too young though for the baby, probably is, i'll have to do more research, if it is i'll just power walk with the baby in the mornings and get my runs in when hubby is home in the evenings though he might struggle with having the 3 mini monsters by himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭oinkely

I got a burley jogging buggy when my first was born 6 years ago. It was great, but i don't think they are made anymore. I wouldn't use it for a newborn but did use it from about 4 months onwards. When no 2 was born we got a Phil & Teds somethingorother which i also ran with a bit, but the jogging buggy was way nicer to push. The burley is on loan to a friend at the moment but I'll be getting it back shortly for number 3, just waiting on teh ewather to warm up a bit.

My brother managed a few fast parkrun times pushing his two in a phil and teds. the kids were 3 and 2 at the time and he was around the 21 minutes so they are clearly up to the job.

oinkely wrote: »
    I got a burley jogging buggy when my first was born 6 years ago. It was great, but i don't think they are made anymore. I wouldn't use it for a newborn but did use it from about 4 months onwards. When no 2 was born we got a Phil & Teds somethingorother which i also ran with a bit, but the jogging buggy was way nicer to push. The burley is on loan to a friend at the moment but I'll be getting it back shortly for number 3, just waiting on teh ewather to warm up a bit.

My brother managed a few fast parkrun times pushing his two in a phil and teds. the kids were 3 and 2 at the time and he was around the 21 minutes so they are clearly up to the job.

Yep, the Phil and Teds arent bad at all. Actually a good choice if the OP is planning on having more than 1 bambino. That goes for all prams, I think. If there's a possibility of having more than one bambino, a double pram or pram that can be converted to a double will only cost a few quid more and save a lot more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 lackabane

I used a BOB 'sport utility' offroad stroller - everything from road races to trail runs and orienteering. Kids loved it. If you stick to the roads then a lighter/faster model is sufficient, but the kids got a great kick out of being horsed through a forest or over a beach.
    As regards age, there's no hard and fast rule...once they're strong enough to hold their head steady over whatever surface you're on, then you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 darrenoconaill

Barry,

we bought the out n about Nipper Sport from a company called babyrun.ie

Find it great and small man loves it.

As previous posters said, don't run with baby til about 4-6 months.

A new idea of running with a trailer instead.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/03/shoes-and-gear/a-jogging-stroller-unlike-any-youve-seen_124554

Still just prototypes, but someone running a 33 min 10km with a trailer isn't too shabby. You'd want to be in a fairly low key race though to get away with it as not being able to see what people are doing behind you would be an issue in a race. Not sure how it would work for training either as getting up and down kerbs will be an issue, in a race you are less likely to encounter kerbs on the route unless you are cutting corners.

Looks really good.

Google glasses type things to see what the nipper is up to in the space pod is the only (half kidding) improvement i can see. If you had those you could see the reaction to a few kerbs ;-)

I guess you'd have to listen out carefully for screams each time you went over a bump, and if there was no scream then you have to stop and check you still have your passenger.

Was running a parkrun a couple of months ago and a double buggy was just alongside me for parts of it. There were screams of encouragement for dad from the passenger on the bottom seat who was leaning out the side and shouting to run faster up the hill and overtake that next person. The front seat passenger seemed to be trying to sleep. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I took my 4 month old twins around St Annes parkrun there a couple of weeks ago in their standard iCandy bassinet (they were lying down pram style, well tucked in with blankets etc.) buggy. St. Annes is all tarmac so no major issues. Wouldnt particularly recommend it as a running buggy, but was fine for doing 5k (took the corners slowly though!). Did 10k in total with them in the buggy that day.

I've a proper double running buggy out in the back shed.... just waiting until they get a little bit bigger and they can go in that, then we will push for some serious times!

My point is that if you just want to occasionally do some short distances on reasonably smooth surfaces, a regular pram/ buggy might be okay, depending on the wheels. Any long distance or regular stuff though I'd say you may want to invest in a specific model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Killerz wrote: »
    I took my 4 month old twins around St Annes parkrun there a couple of weeks ago in their standard iCandy bassinet (they were lying down pram style, well tucked in with blankets etc.) buggy. St. Annes is all tarmac so no major issues. Wouldnt particularly recommend it as a running buggy, but was fine for doing 5k (took the corners slowly though!). Did 10k in total with them in the buggy that day.

I've a proper double running buggy out in the back shed.... just waiting until they get a little bit bigger and they can go in that, then we will push for some serious times!

My point is that if you just want to occasionally do some short distances on reasonably smooth surfaces, a regular pram/ buggy might be okay, depending on the wheels. Any long distance or regular stuff though I'd say you may want to invest in a specific model.

Wait till they ask for their own garmins and tell you to go faster :)

Wait till they ask for their own garmins and tell you to go faster :)

Hopefully a few years before that happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hopefully a few years before that happens!

Well my two kids take my garmin any chance they get, they are 2 and 4!!!

It wont be long but its fun to watch!!!

I like running against newborns.

Always beat them, then gloat about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I assume the activity is banned in any "serious" race, or legitimate race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

HelenAnne wrote: »

What does that say about the talent of the runners trailing?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

walshb wrote: »
    What does that say about the talent of the runners trailing?:)

It's a 4 time national marathon champion pushing the buggy in this case. He ran Dublin in just over 3 hours with the buggy as well. Not sure if there were any stops.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    It's a 4 time national marathon champion pushing the buggy in this case. He ran Dublin in just over 3 hours with the buggy as well. Not sure if there were any stops.

And wasn't he taking one for the team that day anyway so that the missus could win the race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

And wasn't he taking one for the team that day anyway so that the missus could win the race?

She was first Irish Lady home in 2012. The following year she won the race outright and results show they ran at least the first 30K together. Good teamwork.

Wonder did he have any feed/ nappy stops during dcm 2012. If he did, his performance is even more remarkable. If he didn't - well trained child!

Wonder did he have any feed/ nappy stops during dcm 2012. If he did, his performance is even more remarkable. If he didn't - well trained child!

Double nappy and change just before starting and they would be grand like :cool:

rom wrote: »
    Double nappy and change just before starting and they would be grand like :cool:

Yes of course... Babies are so predictable and work to our schedules just like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

What kind of roads would you be running on? I live in the country and surrounded by 'L' and 'R' roads.

Had said to myself I wouldn't run with the baby on them, but not so sure now. I don't have the luxury of living near a big park.

Baby's only 6 weeks so I've still time to decide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement