Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fedor teasing returning again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

wouldn't bother my arse with him anymore, IF he comes back his opponents will all be handpicked, remember that one against Hong man choi (?), knees were banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

would only bother if he came back at lightweight the heavyweights got too big and too skilled while he was away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I realise I'll probably sound like a UFC shill but is there really any point in Fedor coming back if it's not to the UFC?

Realistically he'll end up in Bellator fighting Cheick Kongo.

If he wins, it means nothing. If he loses, his legacy takes another hit.

He should stay retired unless he can work out a deal to come to the UFC and actually be tested against the current best of the bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ship has long sailed on Fedor, management ****ed him over.Should have taken the Randy fight when he had chance.Or Brock fight

They had some crazy demands for the UFC allow him fight there.

Probably be Fedor V Kimbo only fight I can think of that would make money

dave1982 wrote: »
    Ship has long sailed on Fedor, management ****ed him over.Should have taken the Randy fight when he had chance.Or Brock fight

They had some crazy demands for the UFC allow him fight there.

Probably be Fedor V Kimbo only fight I can think of that would make money

he was trying to, IIRC ufc brought Randy to court over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Here's Dana White's version of what happened (see from 8.40 onwards):

Sounds to me like his management f*cked him over with the whole co-promotion thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Maybe I'm over-thinking the situation but I follow Graham Boylan (Cage Warriors owner) on twitter and he rarely tweets, once a month at most.

Yesterday he tweeted " :) " and nothing else. It reminded me of when Fedor lost and Dana White famously just tweeted that smiley face and nothing else.

20 minutes later, the Fedor news started breaking. I know it's a longshot, but I wonder if there's a possibility that Boylan has signed him or has gone into co-promotion with M1. He said about rebranding Cage Warriors that people will be surprised when they hear how it's being rebranded.

Ok , putting the tinfoil hat back on the sandwiches now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Maybe I'm over-thinking the situation but I follow Graham Boylan (Cage Warriors owner) on twitter and he rarely tweets, once a month at most.

Yesterday he tweeted " :) " and nothing else. It reminded me of when Fedor lost and Dana White famously just tweeted that smiley face and nothing else.

20 minutes later, the Fedor news started breaking. I know it's a longshot, but I wonder if there's a possibility that Boylan has signed him or has gone into co-promotion with M1. He said about rebranding Cage Warriors that people will be surprised when they hear how it's being rebranded.

Ok , putting the tinfoil hat back on the sandwiches now.

Fedor in the Helix on New Years?

For a Fedor return to mean anything, it really would have to be with the UFC and it really would have to be at Heavyweight. The 3 guys he lost to in 2011 are signed to UFC and surely a rematch with Werdum would still be box office, even in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A fight in the UFC against Werdum would be absolutely epic. However, Werdum would beat him again, easily. Also, just picturing Fedor plastered in that Reebok uniform just wouldn't look right. Back in the real world, he will be fighting Kimbo at Bellator :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

would only bother if he came back at lightweight the heavyweights got too big and too skilled while he was away

Who knows? More stringent testing. Look at Arlovski, Mark Hunt was one fight away from a title shot.
    Would like to see him at LHW though

I honestly believe he signs with the UFC this time.

Here's Dana White's version of what happened (see from 8.40 onwards):

qDpWShY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Fight promoters are basically professional liars and bull**** artists, the good ones anyway. Fedor coming to Bellator will be a shot in the arm for the organisation. The UFC isn't the be all and end end all of MMA and is full of fighters that Fedor already knocked seven shades of crap out of years ago. The man deserves respect for his record and the way he handled himself and doesn't owe anything to Dana White, someone that he dislikes by all accounts.

Den_M wrote: »
    Fight promoters are basically professional liars and bull**** artists, the good ones anyway. Fedor coming to Bellator will be a shot in the arm for the organisation. The UFC isn't the be all and end end all of MMA and is full of fighters that Fedor already knocked seven shades of crap out of years ago. The man deserves respect for his record and the way he handled himself and doesn't owe anything to Dana White, someone that he dislikes by all accounts.

UFC also has the 3 fighter who beat him to be fair!

Do you honestly believe that Dana is bullsh*tting when he says the UFC offered Fedor a huge contract and that Fedor and his people turned it down over co-promotion? Do you seriously think Fedor and his people made a good business decision to turn it down for this reason?

Yeah, Dana isn't the most trustworthy but I actually believed everything he said about trying to get Fedor, his management and cross promotion. Would have been an awful business move for UFC.

I think it's class that Fedor could sit right in with the UFC HW lads and feel right at home in stead of being surrounded by noobs. Pity it won't happen.

Henderson and Silva were pumped to the gills with steroids. Werdum is the current HW champ! anyone can get caught with a choke by someone with his capabilities.

Whether they should have beat him or not is not the point. Point is, Silva and Werdum (Werdum in particular) are the big money fights and if he wants to further his legacy in the come back, he needs to avenge these defeats and really should compete in UFC which is the biggest fighting organisation in the world by miles at this stage! I really don't see the point in him fighting freak show Kimbo or Cheick Kongo at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Is the world really crying out for a Fedor - Bigfoot Silva rematch? :confused:

The idea of meeting Cro Cop in the ring cage once more does get me all kinds of giddy and would be worth a jaunt in the UFC alone.

UFC also has the 3 fighter who beat him to be fair!

Do you honestly believe that Dana is bullsh*tting when he says the UFC offered Fedor a huge contract and that Fedor and his people turned it down over co-promotion? Do you seriously think Fedor and his people made a good business decision to turn it down for this reason?

Do you know for sure if it was a bad business decision by Fedor? Presumably he got a much bigger cut from his fights than he would have from the UFC.

bur wrote: »
    Do you know for sure if it was a bad business decision by Fedor? Presumably he got a much bigger cut from his fights than he would have from the UFC.

Don't know for sure, have no more access to the figures than anyone else. I have no doubt thought that UFC would have been paying him at least as much as they had ever paid anyone else up to that point. Whether that's more or less than what he got elsewhere, who knows? Either way, he turned down UFC and all that comes with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'd guess he's off to Bellator and I think the biggest fight there would be against Tito.

• Advertisement

In fairy land, where Fedor signs to UFC, I'd love to see him fight Mir with winner getting a title shot :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Imagine if Kimbo beat him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The UFC isn't the be all and end end all of MMA and is full of fighters that Fedor already knocked seven shades of crap out of years ago. The man deserves respect for his record and the way he handled himself and doesn't owe anything to Dana White, someone that he dislikes by all accounts.

Full of fighters he beat?
    I can think of 4 only. It also has the 3 guys he lost to.
    He's an incredible fighter, no doubt about it. But the anti-UFC mma-hipsters of the internet glorify his record a bit.
    bur wrote: »

I'd hazard a guess that a Fedor v Brock card from around 5 years ago would of smashed all records and earned him a sillly pay day. He wasn't making that money in StrikeForce or M1 Global promoted cards

Mellor wrote: »
    Full of fighters he beat?
    I can think of 4 only. It also has the 3 guys he lost to.
    He's an incredible fighter, no doubt about it. But the anti-UFC mma-hipsters of the internet glorify his record a bit.

I'd hazard a guess that a Fedor v Brock card from around 5 years ago would of smashed all records and earned him a sillly pay day. He wasn't making that money in StrikeForce or M1 Global promoted cards

Not really, he really was great till the game passed him by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not really, he really was great till the game passed him by
    As I said, incredible fighter. I’m not disputing his ability in the slightest. I include his sambo stuff in that assessment too.
    I’m just saying that his record doesn’t do his ability justice. Mid career, he was fighting at the top of the game. But from about the Matt Lindland fight and onwards it looked like they struggled to get him legitimate opponents. Lindland was a MW, and had no place fighting the near undefeated, GOAT HW.
    I think his only really competitive fights at that stage were in Strikeforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I remember Dana saying Fedor is one punch away from being worthless, doubt Dana would even want him in UFC now.Don't there any hype anymore round Fedor.Would have loved to see Randy V Fedor.

dave1982 wrote: »
    I remember Dana saying Fedor is one punch away from being worthless, doubt Dana would even want him in UFC now.Don't there any hype anymore round Fedor.Would have loved to see Randy V Fedor.

Dana would most definitely want him in UFC now, even though he lost a few fights, he would still be a good draw for the UFC given his legendary status in the sport.

Dana definitely would not be offering anywhere near the deal he offered Fedor a few years back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 redmicky

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i3ggux&s=8#.VbtTonhGxHg
    He is looking to be in good shape, not like his last few fights, if he goes to UFC he will eat them alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Fedor reveals UFC negotiations in process, wants ‘strongest fighters in the world

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/5/9100329/fedor-reveals-ufc-nregotiations-in-process-fabricio-werdum-mma-news

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fedor reveals UFC negotiations in process, wants ‘strongest fighters in the world

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/5/9100329/fedor-reveals-ufc-nregotiations-in-process-fabricio-werdum-mma-news
    Fedor in the UFC?

PeBdws6.gif

I love bloodyelbow just for the gifs in the comments sections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Fedor has declined massively by the time he hit the States. He fell in love with his power and forgot his bread and butter (mixing takedowns with his striking seamlessly + steall GnP).

The sad part is, the state of the HW division is appalling, and technically speaking, if Fedor wereoto return in good condition, be would beat some fighters IMO.

I definitely think a Mirko fight would be very winnable, given how many more miles Mirko has on him, and a much weaker chin too at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

We finally get Fedor in the UFC (hypothetically) and you suggest bloody Mirko. :(

Considering so many heavyweights that have had a resurgence late in their career I don't see why he wouldn't be competitive with quite a few Heavyweights. Bigfoot rematch my money would be on Fedor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Davei141 wrote: »
    We finally get Fedor in the UFC (hypothetically) and you suggest bloody Mirko. :(

Considering so many heavyweights that have had a resurgence late in their career I don't see why he wouldn't be competitive with quite a few Heavyweights. Bigfoot rematch my money would be on Fedor.
    It was an example of a very winnable fight more than anything else.

It's unlikely he'll be put against the top dogs such as Cain/Werdum/Dos Santos etc. But the old timers are all there as options.

Gumbi wrote: »
    It's unlikely he'll be put against the top dogs such as Cain/Werdum/Dos Santos etc. But the old timers are all there as options.

Why not? He's the same age as Verdum who is Heavyweight Champion FFS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Gumbi wrote: »
    It was an example of a very winnable fight more than anything else.

True I would just tear my hair out if Fedors first UFC fight was Cro cop. There is so many great potential match ups in the UFC if he goes to Bellator I'll go mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I would like to see a Fedor v Cro Cop rematch. Their fight in Pride was fantastic, and I am sure it would light a huge fire under Cro Cop.

I would be a good test of Fedor too, rather than throwing him to the Top 10 straight off the bat.

As we really don't know if he has it in him to come back at all. Going off his last performances he is not longer top 10. But that could have been the injuries who knows.

Would be interesting to see him at light heavy weight I always thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You can't rule out fedor. Look at arlovski now.... 2 years ago he was a washed up has been returning to the UFC and everyone expected him to be wiped out

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheJollyRoger

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You can't rule out fedor. Look at arlovski now.... 2 years ago he was a washed up has been returning to the UFC and everyone expected him to be wiped out

Would like to see an Arlovski - Fedor rematch, Arlovski was doing well until that punch knocked him out.

Just stick him straight in against Werdum for the title and make it a huge PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Just stick him straight in against Werdum for the title and make it a huge PPV

I'd say maybe one or two winnable fights first to build hype, a brendan Schaub type fighter good but not that good if you know what I mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I'd say maybe one or two winnable fights first to build hype, a brendan Schaub type fighter good but not that good if you know what I mean

if he loses you lose everything with him though

if he loses you lose everything with him though

I know but you just can't parachute him into a title match either,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I know but you just can't parachute him into a title match either,

I know, I'd say he'll get one fight against someone like Cro Cop, and if he wins in any way he'll get a title shot

Why not just parachute him in? If the UFC hype machine can convince hundreds of thousands of people to pay to watch Rousey beat some jobber in a few seconds they shouldnt have too much hassle with Fedor. It helps that there is no clear and deserving heavyweight contender at the moment too.

Why not just parachute him in? If the UFC hype machine can convince hundreds of thousands of people to pay to watch Rousey beat some jobber in a few seconds they shouldnt have too much hassle with Fedor. It helps that there is no clear and deserving heavyweight contender at the moment too.

i agree but why not feed a "jobber" or two to fedor hype the **** outta it and boom ufc 200 fedor vs werdum, rousey vs tate+zingano 3 with one hand and a blindfold :D conor(if he beats aldo) vs edgar blah blah blah

i agree but why not feed a "jobber" or two to fedor hype the **** outta it and boom ufc 200 fedor vs werdum, rousey vs tate+zingano 3 with one hand and a blindfold :D conor(if he beats aldo) vs edgar blah blah blah
    Make it happen Dana :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

No way fedor is gonna skip past Cain for his shot. So Cain v fedor is more likely than werdum v fedor.

Advertisement