Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morton Games Santry 2015 - Friday 24th July

• 13-07-2015 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

This years Morton Games will feature some 100 international athletes from the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobego, Ghana, Uganda and Europe.

Ireland’s top athletes will be competing including stadium record holder Mark English in the 800, Ciara Mageean, Ciara Everard, Brian Gregan, Dara Kervick, Thomas Barr and John Travers.

Morton Games will feature several top international athletes including Will Leer (USA) who on July 24th will be aiming to become the most prolific winner of the storied Morton Mile.

The Meet will be a non stop night of world class athletics from 7 p.m. with the feature Morton Mile at 9 p.m.
    ADMISSION TO THE 2015 MORTON GAMES ON THE NIGHT:
    • Adults €10.00

• Children free on the night – when accompanied by paying adult.

Website
    Facebook

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm going! Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm going! Can't wait!

I'm going to try wangle a night out too :) Thanks Os!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ciara Mageean? Thought she was injured. Is she definitely running? Great if she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ciara Mageean? Thought she was injured. Is she definitely running? Great if she is.

The Indoors injury or something more recent?
    I've seen her around running, but I don't know if she's race fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

10 euro in is an excellent admission price for sport of this nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Anything in the media advertising this, as its great event.

BTW, not sure how the money is taken in but they may need to crack down on people just walking in to the stadium. It seems quite easy to do this from the road. I'd hate to see them lose a rake of cash because of this.

walshb wrote: »
    10 euro in is an excellent admission price for sport of this nature.

10 euro is a steal, it was 15 euro's to see wexford v cork two weeks ago.

10 euro is a steal, it was 15 euro's to see wexford v cork two weeks ago.

I'm there, man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BTW, not sure how the money is taken in but they may need to crack down on people just walking in to the stadium. It seems quite easy to do this from the road. I'd hate to see them lose a rake of cash because of this.

There are only 3 gates on the Swords road so it shouldn't be too difficult to man them and collect the money. At least one will probably closed off to the public and kept for officials etc. as well.

• Advertisement

Yohan Blake is confirmed for this. I think that's more a reflection on how badly he is running at the moment, as opposed to Santry being a venue of choice for the world's leading sprinters.

Yohan Blake is confirmed for this. I think that's more a reflection on how badly he is running at the moment, as opposed to Santry being a venue of choice for the world's leading sprinters.

Still be good to see him running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Would love to head along to this. Will the car-parks in Morton be open?
    I know they'll be busy, but I'm sure they could squeeze in a bike...

The park beside the stadium is open for parking, in the car park and on the grass, until the games are over.

is there a full list of competitors for each race anywhere? I know mortongames.ie has news and updates of people confirming / big names etc, but i wouldn't mind knowing beforehand who was racing in each race so I'd know who to look out for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'll be defo heading if ya want a lift, I'll be going earlier for the imcs though.

is there a full list of competitors for each race anywhere? I know mortongames.ie has news and updates of people confirming / big names etc, but i wouldn't mind knowing beforehand who was racing in each race so I'd know who to look out for!

They have a programme for sale on the night, don't know if they put up the start lists before then

RayCun wrote: »
    They have a programme for sale on the night, don't know if they put up the start lists before then

Thanks! That will do me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The park beside the stadium is open for parking, in the car park and on the grass, until the games are over.

That park stays open 24/7 now. Very convenient for parking and bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Is there a bar?

• Advertisement

Is there a bar?

There's no bar in the stand, don't think Clonliffe have a bar in their clubhouse either, so no.
    There was a thing selling burgers and chips last year, probably the usual coffee place too

There's no bar in the stand, don't think Clonliffe have a bar in their clubhouse either, so no.
    There was a thing selling burgers and chips last year, probably the usual coffee place too

There is a bar in clubhouse upstairs. A member might be able to tell you more wild garlic.
    Bag a cans from Centra across the road either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Will Boards A&R forum have a stand? :D

Is there a bar?

You can get alcohol in the clonliffe bar and can bring it out to a designated zone, which I think is near the 200m start/ long jump pit area. Not exactly the best location to watch the action though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'll be defo heading if ya want a lift, I'll be going earlier for the imcs though.
    Cheers, but unlikely to get out early due to work. Are you running in the IMCs or spectating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Not a complete list but this may be of some use:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2015/0721/716200-yohan-blake-santry/

Not a complete list but this may be of some use:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2015/0721/716200-yohan-blake-santry/

No Mark English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

No Mark English?

Injured so I believe (sciatica I heard).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Yohan Blake competing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

No Mark English?

I don't know how current their programme is, so he might be injured as pconn said, but Mark English is down for Saturday's 800m at the London Anniversary Games. along with Amos, Rudisha, Kszczot and Bosse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is there advance ticketing or just turn up tomorrow?

Aha I see tickets onsale tonight 7-9 at clubhouse

Is there advance ticketing or just turn up tomorrow?

Aha I see tickets onsale tonight 7-9 at clubhouse

is it ok to just turn up and pay tomorrow though?

it was last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I see Tomás Cotter from Dundalk is trying to break the 4 minute mile this evening. Just wondering how big a deal this is nowadays? I see the Irish mile record is 3:49 from Wikipedia but I'm wondering is breaking the 4 minute mile a big deal nowadays? Roughly how many Irish athletes have done it before? Would it be hundreds or thousands?

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    I see Tomás Cotter from Dundalk is trying to break the 4 minute mile this evening. Just wondering how big a deal this is nowadays? I see the Irish mile record is 3:49 from Wikipedia but I'm wondering is breaking the 4 minute mile a big deal nowadays? Roughly how many Irish athletes have done it before? Would it be hundreds or thousands?

Actually its less than 50 so still a pretty big deal.

Cotter is on the cusp after his 3.43 recently he is on the cusp (this roughly equates to a 4.00.xx mile time)

With 6 sub 3.56 men in the field though this looks like the perfect race to do it in (Travers actually was in same position this time last year before making his big breakthrough)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055493489
    list there (see post 2) but it's from a few years ago

Ah that's great. Thanks men. So it is still quite a big deal by the looks of things. Hopefully he can add his name to the list.

Might have been said, but what time is kick off tonight?

Might have been said, but what time is kick off tonight?

5.30 pre-program (IMC Races)
    7.00 International program

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

As others have said, Tomás is right on the cusp of a sub 4 mile. Needs the pacing to be spot on to give himself a chance, 1.58 for him at halfway would be perfect but 1.55 or something could blow it. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I love the fact, Blake is listed in the senior B 100 ;)

I love the fact, Blake is listed in the senior B 100 ;)

Yeh, and I certainly wouldn't fancy being out in lane 16 for that men's 400.

I'm looking forward to the evening and don't want to be putting a dampener on it, but who is responsible for putting Thomas Barr's race on first at 7pm. Every other country put their best athletes at the end (the Brits with Farah for example) yet we have arguably our best athlete on first, at the insanely early hour of 7pm, in a venue considerably north of a city which is extremely traffic congested, with third world public transport links.

The timetabling isn't set with the spectator who has to get out to Santry after work in mind. I missed Barr's race last year. It is touch and go whether I will make it this year as I sit on a slow moving bus.

EDIT: Looks like I'll just make it now if I run the 1km from the number 4 bus to the stadium. Glad I changed out of my suit is all I'll say.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

I'm looking forward to the evening and don't want to be putting a dampener on it, but who is responsible for putting Thomas Barr's race on first at 7pm. Every other country put their best athletes at the end (the Brits with Farah for example) yet we have arguably our best athlete on first, at the insanely early hour of 7pm, in a venue considerably north of a city which is extremely traffic congested, with third world public transport links.

The timetabling isn't set with the spectator who has to get out to Santry after work in mind. I missed Barr's race last year. It is touch and go whether I will make it this year as I sit on a slow moving bus.

EDIT: Looks like I'll just make it now if I run the 1km from the number 4 bus to the stadium. Glad I changed out of my suit is all I'll say.
    Don't bother. Barr has pulled out with injury.

Don't bother. Barr has pulled out with injury.

I got a taxi from the bus stop. Ed Sheran is causing havoc tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

very enjoyable so far - D Hooper getting increasingly frustrated with the commentator is a great side show also :pac:

Yes! Cotter breaks four minutes! Didn't win the race but he did what he set out to do. 3:58 I think.

Yes! Cotter breaks four minutes! Didn't win the race but he did what he set out to do. 3:58 I think.

And the only Irish man to break 4 tonight! 3:58:50 and 8th place

Was it Everard who stumbled/fell at the start does anyone know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement