Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand car nightmares! (Experiences)

Options
  • 05-06-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Anybody have any bad dealings when buying a car online? :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Donedeal don't sell cars so I don't see the need for their name to be associated with any bad experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Casamir

Donedeal don't sell cars so I don't see the need for their name to be associated with any bad experience.

I'll edit it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shane.

in the op first post before he edited he said on donedeal not from donedeal so i think everyone would understand that their not buying directly from donedeal, no need to edit imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Casamir

shane. wrote: »
    in the op first post before he edited he said on donedeal not from donedeal so i think everyone would understand that their not buying directly from donedeal, no need to edit imo

True :) Some people complain about the slightest things :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Casamir wrote: »

Well you wouldn't write a post starting with the heading: 'aviva insurance nightmares' and then write has anyone had any bad experiences with insurance companies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

now now ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

How about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

I've had a lot of calls from a timewaster about a gttdi golf. I said no timewasters in the ad and everything.:D

I'll edit it ;)

THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I saw an ad. on DD, I viewed the car and it looked like what I wanted, the price was good but not that good. What made me suspicious was that the guy was 'selling it for a friend' and couldn't produce the vehicle cert, he gave me some unconvincing excuse about the owner being away abroad on business.

So I went home and paid my money to motorcheck only to find that there was finance outstanding on it which had not been declared to me by the seller. I informed DD but they didn't want to know, told me to report it to the Gardai which would have been a waste of time since I'd have to buy the car and then have it seized before any crime would be committed.

At the very least, if a person can send DD a motorcheck or similar link to show that car for sale on DD has outstanding finance (which I did), they should pull the ad. However DD do not seem to have this policy so they are putting the interests of their customers (the crooked advertiser in my case) before the interests of the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Maybe you explain exactly what you do mean - the closest i've come to buying a car online is through ebay.

Anybody have any bad dealings when buying a car online? :)

... if they did they'd only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Bought a car on one of the most ""well known websites" Met the guy in a town near his home. Paid him, he had the log book and we both signed it. Said he would post it but it never reached Shannon. Rang him several times and phone didn't answer. Didn't even have his address and it was really difficult to get a replacement book. Learned a bit from it though :D:D

coylemj wrote: »
    I saw an ad. on DD, I viewed the car and it looked like what I wanted, the price was good but not that good. What made me suspicious was that the guy was 'selling it for a friend' and couldn't produce the vehicle cert, he gave me some unconvincing excuse about the owner being away abroad on business.

So I went home and paid my money to motorcheck only to find that there was finance outstanding on it which had not been declared to me by the seller. I informed DD but they didn't want to know, told me to report it to the Gardai which would have been a waste of time since I'd have to buy the car and then have it seized before any crime would be committed.

At the very least, if a person can send DD a motorcheck or similar link to show that car for sale on DD has outstanding finance (which I did), they should pull the ad. However DD do not seem to have this policy so they are putting the interests of their customers (the crooked advertiser in my case) before the interests of the consumer.

Sorry to hear that, but - to be honest with you - they are not there to give you any protection/guarantee etc...,
    It is up to us - buyers - to do all the checks, and to make a call.
    I do understand your view, and your issue, but there is no chance DD, or any other site will prevent anyone from putting an ad up.
    DD is the best at the moment, with a lot of people selling/buying, so there is a lot of chancers out there. It is you who buys off the individual, and they have nothing to do with that.

shawnee wrote: »
    Bought a car on one of the most ""well known websites" Met the guy in a town near his home. Paid him, he had the log book and we both signed it. Said he would post it but it never reached Shannon. Rang him several times and phone didn't answer. Didn't even have his address and it was really difficult to get a replacement book. Learned a bit from it though :D:D
    Did you, or does the website just host ads for sellers?

wonski wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, but - to be honest with you - they are not there to give you any protection/guarantee etc...,
    It is up to us - buyers - to do all the checks, and to make a call.
    I do understand your view, and your issue, but there is no chance DD, or any other site will prevent anyone from putting an ad up.
    DD is the best at the moment, with a lot of people selling/buying, so there is a lot of chancers out there. It is you who buys off the individual, and they have nothing to do with that.

Are you a DD shareholder? You're completely ignoring the point. I told DD that there was a car for sale on their website which had outstanding finance, a fact which the seller had not declared in the ad or to me when I met him face to face.

When informed of this fact, you would expect any responsible newspaper or web advertiser to pull the ad. but they refused.

I don't expect DD to do the background check in advance but when handed the evidence, I do expect them to do something about it.

Think you know the website ! my own view is that there is a huge increase in cowboys advertising on that site and not as many private sellers :p

shawnee wrote: »
    Think you know the website ! my own view is that there is a huge increase in cowboys advertising on that site and not as many private sellers :p
    If it's Donedeal then you didn't buy the car 'on the website', you bought it from the seller.

Are you a DD shareholder? You're completely ignoring the point. I told DD that there was a car for sale on their website which had outstanding finance, a fact which the seller had not declared in the ad or to me when I met him face to face.

When informed of this fact, you would expect any responsible newspaper or web advertiser to pull the ad. but they refused.

I don't expect DD to do the background check in advance but when handed the evidence, I do expect them to do something about it.

I am not DD shareholder, but you can't expect them to be on top of every ad they hold. Honestly - i know of some people posting here who had DD ads taken down (i mean they asked DD to take them down), but - if you look at the numbers - there is no chance to take them down on the spot.
    Also - you only sent them screenshot/copy of the report, so they have no right/obligation to take it down really.

wonski wrote: »
    Also - you only sent them screenshot/copy of the report, so they have no right/obligation to take it down really.

I did not 'only sent them a screenshot/copy of the report'.

I sent them a link direct to the motorcheck report on the car I had viewed so there could have been no doubt that the car for sale on DD had outstanding finance, the registration number was visible on the ad.

They have a moral obligation to remove ads. where the seller is clearly bent on defrauding an innocent buyer. It would also be good business practice to do so as it would (1) deter cowboy sellers and (2) reassure the buying public that at least when DD knew there was potential fraud involved, they did something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

No wonder there are so many chancers on DD if people are this stupid. DD is a classified ads newspaper, but on the internet. They are well covered in their terms and conditions, and while it is in their own interest to respond to dodgy ads when they are reported, they are in no way responsible for the sales that take place. And no, I don't own or work for them, I just have half a brain is all.

F-Stop wrote: »
    No wonder there are so many chancers on DD if people are this stupid.

I didn't buy the car nor did I even put down a deposit. Is doing something to protect other punters 'stupid'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It is not up to Donedeal to make a judgement on whether a car has finance or not. For all donedeal know, the motorcheck report could be out of date and then DD would be left red faced.

you are free to advertise the car with finance on any website, not just DD.
    be different if it was a robbed car, or a cloned car or a cut and shut car, but again, DD would have to have proof of that, and again, its not up to DD to proove that. its up to the buyer to decide if they are safe and know all the fact before commiting to a private purchase, whether that be a car, a second hand BBQ or indeed a limited edition Barbie doll :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Sorry coylemj, I didn't mean to suggest you. I just think that people need to understand that DD is a service and not a dealership or pet shop or whatever.

kceire wrote: »
    It is not up to Donedeal to make a judgement on whether a car has finance or not. For all donedeal know, the motorcheck report could be out of date and then DD would be left red faced.

I sent DD the link to the motorcheck report, it had that days' date on it i.e. the same day.
    kceire wrote: »
    you are free to advertise the car with finance on any website, not just DD.
    be different if it was a robbed car, or a cloned car or a cut and shut car, but again, DD would have to have proof of that, and again, its not up to DD to proove that. its up to the buyer to decide if they are safe and know all the fact before commiting to a private purchase, whether that be a car, a second hand BBQ or indeed a limited edition Barbie doll :D

I also pointed out that the seller had failed to mention the outstanding finance when I met him a few hours earlier - the same day.

Yes you are free to advertise a car with outstanding finance but when you fail to mention it to a prospective buyer who drives several miles to meet you, you are clearly bent on fraud.

Why are people defending DD? That really mystifies me!

This guy wasn't exactly a trade seller with hundreds of ads. on DD, all they had to do was pull the ad. give him his money back and tell him to PFO. They clearly placed a greater value on the few quid he had paid for the ad. than that I could be several thousand euros out of pocket when the finance company came and seized the car from me.

I sent DD the link to the motorcheck report, it had that days' date on it i.e. the same day.

I also pointed out that the seller had failed to mention the outstanding finance when I met him a few hours earlier - the same day.

Yes you are free to advertise a car with outstanding finance but when you fail to mention it to a prospective buyer who drives several miles to meet you, you are clearly bent on fraud.

This guy wasn't exactly a trade seller with hundreds of ads. on DD, all they had to do was pull the ad. give him his money back and tell him to PFO. They clearly placed a greater value on the few quid he had paid for the ad. than that I could be several thousand euros out of pocket when the finance company came and seized the car from me.

You are clearly missing something -

Let's say i am the owner of website - A
    Let's say someone paid to be advertised on my website - B
    Let's say you are about to make a contact with B about a car (and you are C)
    Let's say before you make a deal with B, you make a contact with a company D, who provides some information about B

My business works as a bridge between B and C. I have no interest to deal with D at all, unless requested by law. And i have no interest to work with either B or C, as my only target is to make sure B gets an attention from C.
    Simple as that. Hope you understand how it works.

For arguments sake, what's to prove that you didn't want the seller's ad removed for reasons of your own? All the finance check proves is that the car is currently recorded as having finance owing - it proves neither that the finance is still owing nor that the seller hasn't informed potential buyers. Donedeal's job is to publish the ad, it's your job to check out the car.

Yes, I do understand the relationship DD has to the vendor and buyer, thank you Wonski for the education in basic commerce.

Anan1, it would be a remarkable coincidence if I wanted to 'get at' the seller and it just so happened that in evidence I was able to produce a current motorcheck report to show that the car had outstanding finance.

Clearly I'm banging my head against a very thick wall so I'll just repeat what I said above....

They have a moral obligation to remove ads. where the seller is clearly bent on defrauding an innocent buyer. It would also be good business practice to do so as it would (1) deter cowboy sellers and (2) reassure the buying public that at least when DD knew there was potential fraud involved, they did something about it.

Yes, I do understand the relationship DD has to the vendor and buyer, thank you Wonski for the education in basic commerce.

Anan1, it would be a remarkable coincidence if I wanted to 'get at' the seller and it just so happened that in evidence I was able to produce a current motorcheck report to show that the car had outstanding finance.

Clearly I'm banging my head against a very thick wall so I'll just repeat what I said above....

I remember dozens of posts where ads were taken down after one of bordsies reported them. I have reported one, and it was taken down in 24 hours. My point is (and i didn't want to treat you like a kid with all this IABCD scenario) that their main job is to provide general public and businesses with service. They do provide it, and they are good at it. They do deal with reports, etc, but it is not what they are supposed to do, and - to be honest - if you expected them to deal with any report/complain about any of the ads promptly - you may need to pay them more.
    And the moral obligation??? If one selling a car won't provide a mileage, what do you expect them to do? As long as there is no mention of something in the ad, there is no reason to take it down!

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    If it's Donedeal then you didn't buy the car 'on the website', you bought it from the seller.

I beg to differ, I bought the car on the website but from the seller , It is silly of you to suggest that one buys a car from Donedeal , if you want to play with words....try scrabble... if you are not interested in the debate.:rolleyes:

Advertisement