Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Green Brigade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

spiralism wrote: »
    Three years ago was around the time the famine song was in full airing

but then again, how dare we complain about that, we're evidently just as bad as a team that's faced two crackdowns from uefa on racism/sectarianism and that left two cities (barcelona, manchester) and a stadium in romania (unirea) to waste on their european adventures because we sing nationalist songs, of which not many bear reference to the pira and of which none whatsoever encourage hatred against the unionist community.

Unirea what bollox the fans were treated like crap and were in a dangerous stadium Barcelona was not laid to waste you have been reading fairy tales again Manchester was a disgrace but laid waste to lol
    I am no unionist but object to songs which glorify an organisation that killed innocents being sang love how this is turning into its all Rangers fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    'Soon there'll be no Protestants at all' isn't hateful ?
    'Just like me and you, he's a provo too' ? Aye, very nationalist.

As for your comments about Manchester, Barcelona and Unirea (There was hardly damage, just a scuffle with stewards. You know, like the GB have done on several occasions ?): Yawn.
    Wasn't it Celtic who had more fans arrested this pre-season that all of Manchester 2008 ?
    Must be those bigoted police officers in England.

edit: Not to forget the Catholic Church BBE.

unirea was a full out riot, barcelona was wrecked and they couldn't control ye, same deal with manchester. the reason rangers fans werent arrested in the hundreds/thousands in manchester was that the police were completely overwhelmed, it got so bad

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    That was class. Ridiculous trying to blame celtic for this, if Rangers fans hadnt have sang the songs in the first place we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Its an overreaction by politicians but given what has happened to Lennon over the last year it was pretty much inevitable, hopefully protests will force a rethink.

This was brewing long before last years disgraceful events

unirea was a full out riot, barcelona was wrecked and they couldn't control ye, same deal with manchester. the reason rangers fans werent arrested in the hundreds/thousands in manchester was that the police were completely overwhelmed, it got so bad

You are talking guff about Unirea and Barcelona you have links to prove Rangers fans wrecked these places

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Wrong and wrong.
    As for Manchester: Nearly all of those arrested were done so weeks after the events, when CCTV was investigated etc, so not 'because the police where overwhelmed'.

But of course you knew that.

• Advertisement

There was only trouble because:

1: The stewards decided to wade in for no reason at all. This lasted 5 minutes, tops.
    2: People were being crushed outside due to the shambles that were the entrances.

Barcelona never expected 20.000 fans for just a group game, so there was a case of a lot of litter, that's true. But nothing was 'wrecked'

Wrong and wrong.
    As for Manchester: Nearly all of those arrested were done so weeks after the events, when CCTV was investigated etc, so not 'because the police where overwhelmed'.

But of course you knew that.

for every person they got on CCTV i'd say two got away because they had their faces covered. To say that celtic fans in preseason behaved worse than that mob in the now infamous manchester riots is absolutely ludicrous.
    There was only trouble because:

1: The stewards decided to wade in for no reason at all. This lasted 5 minutes, tops.
    2: People were being crushed outside due to the shambles that were the entrances.

Barcelona never expected 20.000 fans for just a group game, so there was a case of a lot of litter, that's true. But nothing was 'wrecked'

they were unprepared yeah, but their city was left in a mess and they were livid about it. celtic fans got along a lot better with them and were praised by the barcelona hierarchy even before the match, there's a reason for this: our fans behave abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just lock the thread FFS, more shite as usual from the Old Firm supporters. There's two Superthreads that can be used for this.

As for your comments about Manchester, Barcelona and Unirea (There was hardly damage, just a scuffle with stewards. You know, like the GB have done on several occasions ?): Yawn.
    Wasn't it Celtic who had more fans arrested this pre-season that all of Manchester 2008 ?

havent heard the first one in a long time, the GBs sing on the one road but without that stupid bigoted add on. - "North men, South men, comrades all
    Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Donegal".

In the same way, you'll hear thousands singing the chorus of celtic symphony "here we go again...." but far, far less singing the part glorifying the ira, last week's old firm testament to that

as for the second, i didnt say there wasn't a few. even still, it's hardly offensive on the level of "up to our knees in fenian blood" or "the famine is over, why don't you go home"... next you lot will be after us for singing "paddy mc courts fenian army" because it has "fenian" in it, oh the irony.

given that we've been called fenians for a long time, a term that implies being in the ira basically, the minute we have tongue in cheek references to that, everybody goes mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I have no doubt that Rangers fans have behaved worse than Celtic fans in recent years, but this protest does sound like double standards.

If I'm reading it correctly the Celtic fans complained a lot about objectionable songs from the opposition but now they are kicking up a fuss when their own objectionable songs are being clamped down on. If that is the truth of it then they are making fools of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

soon there'll be no protestants doesn't get sung, if you listen you'll hear that. roamin in the gloamin also got drowned out and is no longer sung due to the lyrics 'oh it's good to be a Roman Catholic'.

As for the scuffle with Stewards in Unirea http://sport.stv.tv/football/136844-rangers-blast-moronic-fans-for-unirea-fine/

Sooner you start going to games Jelle and stop spouting pish you hear on FF the better. The 'protest' yesterday wasn't only about sectarianism, the group are, among other things, highlighting Camera's being put in their faces and comments from the police who are doing it ivbbr5.jpg

Banners today said
    NO STANDING
    NO SWEARING
    NO LATERAL MOVEMENT
    NO AGGRESSIVE FLAG WAVING

Do you agree or disagree with any of this???
    Another question, when you mention the Catholic Church there, what does BBE mean??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lucky us, aren't we a blessed bunch? Now we get the Celtic thread, the Rangers thread and this tripe to discuss the politics of another country. Yippee!!!!

havent heard the first one in a long time, the GBs sing on the one road but without that stupid bigoted add on. - "North men, South men, comrades all
    Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Donegal".

In the same way, you'll hear thousands singing the chorus of celtic symphony "here we go again...." but far, far less singing the part glorifying the ira, last week's old firm testament to that

as for the second, i didnt say there wasn't a few. even still, it's hardly offensive on the level of "up to our knees in fenian blood" or "the famine is over, why don't you go home"... next you lot will be after us for singing "paddy mc courts fenian army" because it has "fenian" in it, oh the irony.

given that we've been called fenians for a long time, a term that implies being in the ira basically, the minute we have tongue in cheek references to that, everybody goes mad

Do you actually no the meaning of Fenian and before you say anything yes it has been used wrongly for years

Again I notice while you denounce what Rangers fans have sang/chanted you don't do the same with Orange Bastard or Hun would there be a reason for that

soon there'll be no protestants doesn't get sung, if you listen you'll hear that. roamin in the gloamin also got drowned out and is no longer sung due to the lyrics 'oh it's good to be a Roman Catholic'.

As for the scuffle with Stewards in Unirea http://sport.stv.tv/football/136844-rangers-blast-moronic-fans-for-unirea-fine/

Sooner you start going to games Jelle and stop spouting pish you hear on FF the better. The 'protest' yesterday wasn't only about sectarianism, the group are highlighting Camera's being put in their faces and comments from the police who are doing it ivbbr5.jpg

NO STANDING
    NO SWEARING
    NO LATERAL MOVEMENT
    Another question, when you mention the Catholic Church there, what does BBE mean??

It means me Lubo
    No I don't agree with it but I don't agree with the new laws

C'mom mate maybe at parkhead you drown out and change words but not at away games

Do you actually no the meaning of Fenian and before you say anything yes it has been used wrongly for years

Again I notice while you denounce what Rangers fans have sang/chanted you don't do the same with Orange Bastard or Hun would there be a reason for that

yes, the fenians were the predecessors of the ira.

obviously i denounce orange bastard, even though the orange order are a pretty nasty, hateful organisation in themselves, but that's another discussion entirely.

hun is a term i class alongside tim, it's no more sectarian than celtic fans being called tims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Paully D wrote: »
    Just lock the thread FFS, more shite as usual from the Old Firm supporters. There's two Superthreads that can be used for this.
    CSF wrote: »
    Lucky us, aren't we a blessed bunch? Now we get the Celtic thread, the Rangers thread and this tripe to discuss the politics of another country. Yippee!!!!

Nobody is forcing you guys to come into a thread you obviously dislike to read it nevermind post in it :confused:

Nobody is forcing you guys to come into a thread you obviously dislike to read it nevermind post in it :confused:

it is irritating, people posting in an old firm thread to give out about us or to say we're crap... im a utd fan as well and you don't see me going onto the liverpool thread saying they're crap/giving out about them talking about liverpool, for example.

This board is for all football fans, even if anybody thinks old firm fans are beneath them we have as much a right to talk about our teams and the rivalry between them as any other fans have to talk about their own team and their rivals...

Due to the uninformative nature of the thread title, I was unfortunately forced to open it out of curiosity

Sooner you start going to games Jelle and stop spouting pish you hear on FF the better. The 'protest' yesterday wasn't only about sectarianism, the group are, among other things, highlighting Camera's being put in their faces and comments from the police who are doing it ivbbr5.jpg

Banners today said
    NO STANDING
    NO SWEARING
    NO LATERAL MOVEMENT

I go over to plenty of games to know that (And this is not just at Rangers or Celtic) football fans have to deal with a lot of camera's, indiscriminate searchings by police and stewards, unfair treatment,...

And yes, that has to stop.
    But it's weird how this only came about AFTER a new law was passed to supposedly combat sectarianism in and around stadiums and only AFTER Celtic fans themselves have started to feel the brunt of it.

It's almost as if they didn't expect it to backfire on themselves.

edit: The fact you see 'hun' as not sectarianism says it all, it's been proven sectarian in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

RoryMac wrote: »
    So which is it?

They complained to UEFA They complained to the Irish Government they complained to basically anyone they could

Did they have grounds for some of the complaints or were you happy with those songs?

CSF wrote: »
    Due to the uninformative nature of the thread title, I was unfortunately forced to open it out of curiosity

and post in it too?

it is irritating, people posting in an old firm thread to give out about us or to say we're crap... im a utd fan as well and you don't see me going onto the liverpool thread saying they're crap/giving out about them talking about liverpool, for example.

This board is for all football fans, even if anybody thinks old firm fans are beneath them we have as much a right to talk about our teams and the rivalry between them as any other fans have to talk about their own team and their rivals...
    Again if you had been so kind as to label the thread 'Celtic and Rangers fans whinge about religion and the police, not their team or their rivalry' we could have no complaints. Many of us, me included read the team threads because they're sometimes about football

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Banners today said
    NO STANDING
    NO SWEARING
    NO LATERAL MOVEMENT

I go over to plenty of games to know that (And this is not just at Rangers or Celtic) football fans have to deal with a lot of camera's, indiscriminate searchigns by police and stewards, unfair treatment,...

And yes, that has to stop.
    But it's weird how this only came about AFTER a new law was passed to supposedly combat sectarianism in and around stadiums and only AFTER Celtic fans themselves have started to feel the brunt of it.

It's almost as if they didn't expect it to backfire on themselves.

I'm not so sure about that, I think the GB demo yesterday was as much about the right to stand, lateral movement etc that has been cracked down on in recent years and IMO was timed to coincide with the news this week that Celtic were looking into the possibilty of introducing standing in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Does anyone actually get offended by these songs or do they just complain to get the other bold boy in trouble. Its all very playschool. You are a bolder boy than me seems to be the prevailing attitude between then. No wonder everyone looks down on them.

This green brigade seem to be conflicted by their anti everything stance. Anti-sectarian but anti-political correctness. Make your mind up lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Paully D wrote: »
    The point of the thread was to highlight a protest from a group of football fans.
    It means me Lubo
    No I don't agree with it but I don't agree with the new laws

C'mom mate maybe at parkhead you drown out and change words but not at away games

See that's what gets to me. Why did he mention you in there, what was the point?? Jelle, say what you think and feel and stop running to the old timers for help. BBE, It's easy to see in you and EB at least that you are true lifelong fans, and although we might not agree on things and will always have that bit of rivalry, it's true and is in our hearts and we won't deny the other that. The ones who I personally find it difficult to interact with on here are people who can't fight their own battle and talk about what they truly believe in, but come on with bull**** patter taken from another forum.

Anyway :) It's taking time on your last bit there BBE, yet I've been at Rugby Park, Tannadice and Pittodrie and heard the add ons being drowned out and and the proper versions being sung louder. It won't happen overnight but it's happening, hopefully in your own support too.

Jelle, come back to me when you've been to a game :rolleyes:

I only mentioned BBE to back up his point, I don't need to 'run to old timers'.
    As I said, I've been to plenty of games, both home and away, SPL, Cup and Europe.

And you can claim they are being drowned out, but either the microphones are playing pre-recorded sounds or they're not drowned out at all.

RoryMac: I heard that too, and it could be that it just so happens to come together around the same period.
    But I wouldn't support lateral movement at CP, the place might come down as it's made from Meccano ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

As for your comments about Manchester, Barcelona and Unirea (There was hardly damage, just a scuffle with stewards.

Are you seriously saying that what Rangers fans perpetrated in Manchester was "just a scuffle with stewards"? Really? What occurred was absolutely disgusting and every Rangers fan who took part should be ashamed.

Are you seriously saying that what Rangers fans perpetrated in Manchester was "just a scuffle with stewards"? Really? What occurred was absolutely disgusting and every Rangers fan who took part should be ashamed.

That was put after Unirea, it's clear as day but don't let that stop you from twisting the words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

That was put after Unirea, it's clear as day but don't let that stop you from twisting the words.

Well in future, you should structure your sentences more clearly so that we know exactly what you mean. And another thing, you say there was "hardly damage" - if so, then why were RFC fined 18,000 GBP for combined fines and damage repair costs?

Advertisement