Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Oldbridge, Lucan

Options
  • 15-09-2011 7:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14

hi guys,

looking at buying a house in oldbridge view in lucan. anyone have any views on this address? or even better live there or close by.

cheers
    gussy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Am in Lucan but don't specifically know Oldbridge.
    Nearest bus is 25b though 25a/151 stop is pretty closeby too. You have shops, primary school, chemist and doctors in the Griffeen Glen little shopping Centre. You're also really close to the park/Social centre/playground. 5 min drive from Ballyowen shopping Centre with Lidl/Penny Hill etc-5 minute drive from Superquinn.
    Traffic isn't too bad in the morning if you're heading to N7-not sure what its like around schooltime or heading to N4
    What are your own circumstances-looking for the longterm? Kids already? planning kids?
    Where else are you looking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 gussy81

thanks for your reply lyn. we have a kid in the educate together school in lucan. we are looking for areas that are quite and family friendly. we have also looked at rosberry lane and rochfort cresent. trying to avoid areas close to the rough areas. and yes looking long term

If you're in the Educate together at Griffeen-then Rochfort is a bit of a walk.
    TBH-most of the estates in the vicinity of Oldbridge seem quiet and family friendly. Have friends in Moy Glas and Griffeen and they're much of a muchness

Out of the 2 houses for sale in oldbridge-this one looks like better value

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/24-oldbridge-park-lucan-co-dublin/394871

We sold last year (Castle Riada) and are still renting (Hillcrest) as we haven't seen a house i love yet and the prices keep going down

Just my opinion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mcmarkwell

Hi there

I'm in a similar position - moving to Dublin to work in Park West with a baby due in January. My wife and I are looking at Lucan because it seems to be a friendly enough place and better value than Castleknock or Chapelizod and places inside the M50.

What's it like for transport and amenities though? (My wife can't drive yet, and I wonder could it feel a bit isolated?)

All the best

Michael

well it has the train from adamstown - its a short walk to this station depending where u are thinking of buying in lucan. there is also a good bus service into teh city. there are plenty of parks in lucan also and its also a few mins drive to liffey valley shops and an excellent cinema (but more pricey compared to others.) there are some doggy areas near lucan also - ronanstown and neilstown. also foxborough is also a hole. im buying there in the next few weeks so let me know what ur thinking about and ill try give u advice

• Advertisement

About the Adamstown train-if you're not living in adamstown its a good 25/30 min + walk from anywhere other than Finnstown.
    Lucan is a big big area, you have the village an all the estates down there (all older and well established). You have up around Superwuinn/Hillcrest-older established too and then you have all the new estates that were built in South Lucan in the last 15 years.
    Before you make a decision on buying, if you have kids, check where you can get a school place, that can be a serious issue. I wasn't able to get a primary place for my daughter in any of the three schools that I would have been walking distance to.
    There seems to be much better value out there now-though I'd say there'll be another price fall in January after the budget

do u know the rossberry estate?
    i heard there were 2 break-ins recently - is there much crime in lucan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mcmarkwell

Thanks for the advice guys

It seems like the west side of the Ballyowen Road might be preferable to the East (with Balgaddy, Neillstown etc.)

We have no kids yet, but first baby on the way in January (I am terrified). Also, we are from Ireland but living in London, so we are going to have to rent for a while to build up credit history again before we can get a mortgage. It's probably easier as well to move and rent first than trying to buy at the same time.

So, I guess we're looking for a furnished houin a family friendly area, where the commute to Park West is reasonable, and where my wife can get around without a car ok.

Seems like there are quite a lot of places for rent on daft.ie around Lucan...

Advertisement