Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen the pound if Greece exits the Euro

Options
  • 29-06-2015 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Our economy relies heavily on exports to the UK. Of Greece exits the Euro, what is the likely impact on the euro to pound exchange rate?

I imagine the pound will increase in value and therefore the conversion rate will be higher (I.e. the pound will buy more Euro) but I'm no financial guru so would appreciate your thoughts.

Of that's the case, won't we in Ireland be hit particularly hard by the exit, miso than other Euro nations? A double whammy?

Comments

Good for exports. Bad for imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Yep, exporters in 7th heaven. Border towns like Dundalk loving it, extra vat for exchequer (already seen in figures) from sales of petrol etc. border towns like Newry not happy bunnies. Hotels south of border loving it, hotels north of border not happy. You get the drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Considering how much we import from the UK, won't that make our cost of living increase? Business exporters may benefit but importers won't and the general public would likely suffer. Is that correct or am I talking uneducated nonsense? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Actually I don't care, put up the country for sale and every country in the EU can buy a piece from Greece.
    Or sell it to Asia or Africa and close the borders with a high metal gate all around it (something like in Resident Evil)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

no more shopping trips to the North. Holidays to the UK and other non-euro destinations to get more expensive as will anything produced outside the eu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Considering how much we import from the UK, won't that make our cost of living increase? Business exporters may benefit but importers won't and the general public would likely suffer. Is that correct or am I talking uneducated nonsense? :)

Ireland is a net exporting country with an open economy. On balance it benefits from a lower euro

Anyway a grexit will have no significant effect on the value of euro as a shown by evens today's bounce back

QE is what is having the major effect of lowering the euro printing a trillion euros is a lot of paper and lowers the currencies values and promotes some inflation ( well that's the hope anyway )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

greendom wrote: »
    no more shopping trips to the North. Holidays to the UK and other non-euro destinations to get more expensive as will anything produced outside the eu.

Yes that's extremely good for the EZ. For example I've switched from amazon.co.uk to amazon.de for my tool buying , saving a packet as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

BoatMad wrote: »
    Yes that's extremely good for the EZ. For example I've switched from amazon.co.uk to amazon.de for my tool buying , saving a packet as a result.

Leading on from this, Curiua is a very useful site for comparing a product's cost across the EU amazon sites. Beware of shipping though.

Advertisement