Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skechers

Options
  • 06-02-2015 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Is it unreasonable to expect a pair of €50 Skechers runners to last longer than 4 months? The main body of the runners is in good condition but the Velcro strap no longer 'sticks' and has also become stretched so there is no way of tightening them up. These are kids runners that are been worn for school. I wasn't going to take them back but found the receipt so thought I'd give it a go but they said it's wear & tear and as they are so old there is nothing that they could do, I kind of expected it to be honest but the more I look at the strap the more I think these aren't cheap and I haven't got value for money here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Your contract is with the shop so if I were you I would give consumer connect a call and see what they have to say before going back into the shop.

On the face of it I would be inclined to say that a pair of runners should indeed last more than 4 months and they sound like they were not fit for purpose.

On a general note, I have found that velcro is a very unsatisfactory shoe fastener and avoid it like the plague now because as you have found, it loses its fastening ability while the rest of the shoe is still in grand condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My Skechers are three years old and perfect so I think you're right to pursue them OP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I've bought a few pairs of skechers over the years and found them very good quality and lasted for years. Granted, I either had slip ons or laces, but they were worn almost every day in college or about town, so they did get a good bit of 'wear'. I had Cica (I think that's how it's spelled) runners with Velcro as a kid and they definitely lasted more than 4 months.

Unless the runners were getting exceptional hardship, I would have thought they'd have lasted more than 4 months. You could try contacting the Consumers Association and see if they could advise you, but as mentioned above, your contract is with the shop where you bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My friend had a pair of kids ones replaced for the same reason. I don't think it's wear and tear tbh - it's a strap that's designed to be opened and closed every day. My €90 pair of skechers lasted all of 3 months before the sole was destroyed - THAT was wear and tear so I threw them in the bin! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭ameee

I wear sketchers and find them great but I bought my children a sixty euro pair each in September for school and they had to be replaced in November as they had fallen to pieces. Now my children are faily gard on their runners but ive never had any other brand get destroyed that quickly! We have theminkountain warehouse runners now and they still look great two months in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

How long is a piece of string.

It depends on the tyoe of wear - if the kids are playigb football in a yard everyday, even the ost hardwearign shoes won;t last.

If the kids are laing with the veldro (yep - they like doing that) - it will ose effectiveness.

If they are being used normally and the main body of the shoe is in good condition, then it could be argued that the velcro strap was not good enough for the shoe and they will be repaired / replaced. (quite easy for shoe repair place to put new velcro strap on)

Only way to find out is to call into the store and see what they will do (a pleasant and curteous approach will always elicit the most positive response)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Update! I took it further and contacted the customer services and subsequently met the Area manager who agreed to an exchange and was very pleasant to deal with in fairness. Went for lace ups this time! Stay away from single strap Velcro Skechers would be my advice!

Advertisement